Academics Question

jamiche

Reaction score
Now that we no longer have to pretend that athletes aren't getting paid, do we have to pretend that they are students? Seriously, is there still a requirement that basketball and football take classes? There used to be some suspense about players being declared academically ineligible. However, we don't hear about anymore.

Now that we no longer have to pretend that athletes aren't getting paid, do we have to pretend that they are students? Seriously, is there still a requirement that basketball and football take classes? There used to be some suspense about players being declared academically ineligible. However, we don't hear about anymore.
See the badgers beginning in 1991

Lots of good students that play D1 sports.. to your point with all the tutor help and mandatory study halls especially for Freshman etc.. very hard to be academically ineligible
I'm curious if all of that help is still being provided to the athletes in the major sports at the high D1 level.

I'm curious if all of that help is still being provided to the athletes in the major sports at the high D1 level.
I guarantee it is. Men's basketball has become a joke and I doubt academics are a high priority with the guys constantly hopping schools. But that is a very small percentage of the athletes, the majority of whom are still students as well.

Had a coach once tell me; (paraphrased) " A player that doesn't take care of the classroom details to make himself a better student, probably won't take care of some of the basketball details to make himself a better teammate either. Don't need that kind of guy on my team.".

As Allen Iverson would say:

Not a game; not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last, not the game, we're talking about Academics, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about Academics.

Had a coach once tell me; (paraphrased) " A player that doesn't take care of the classroom details to make himself a better student, probably won't take care of some of the basketball details to make himself a better teammate either. Don't need that kind of guy on my team.".
Norman Dale.

IMO and from following recruits, most high end D1 players are pretty good students and in football, many graduate early to enroll in January. To transfer, they have to be in academic good standing, which is now much easier with computers and things all submitting through apps. Would be interesting to know who reports on the academic progress during a transfer?

A questions I would have for MN, is whether the academics at MN as assisting with getting some of these transfers late in their football and basketball careers? Fleck with veteran RB help and Johnson with a full go of upper classmen. It's not the $$, so is it academics and playing time?

That might have been the case at one time. Being a diligent student (didn't say great) and a contributing D1 basketball or football player doesn't correlate. The way the system currently works, spending 50-60 hours/week on your sport in season and 20-30 hours/week out of season makes it nearly impossible to be a diligent student.

As Allen Iverson would say:

Not a game; not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last, not the game, we're talking about Academics, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about Academics.
I don’t know what this even means.

in response to the OP, this appears to be the guidelines for maintaining academic eligibility --
(from the University of North Carolina website)

Student-athletes are allowed five years to graduate college while receiving athletically related financial aid. All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term, and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements that are related to an institution’s own GPA standards for graduation. To remain eligible in Division I, student-athletes must complete 40 percent of the coursework required for a degree by the end of their second year in college. They must complete 60 percent by the end of their third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year. Student-athletes are permitted to receive athletics aid past their fifth year of enrollment. The five-year window is more appropriately tied to seasons of competition.
Student-athletes must achieve 90 percent of the institution’s minimum overall grade-point average necessary to graduate (this average is 1.8 at UNC) by the beginning of the third and fourth semesters, 95 percent of the minimum GPA (1.9) by the beginning of the fifth and sixth semesters and 100 percent (2.0) by the beginning of the seventh and eighth semesters and beyond.

A student-athlete may compete if he/she has a cumulative GPA less than 2.0, is on academic probation, and the GPA meets the NCAA threshold. For example, a student-athlete entering his third semester with a 1.850 and on probation would be eligible to compete since the NCAA requirement is greater than 1.8. The student is on probation, but still in good standing at UNC.

That might have been the case at one time. Being a diligent student (didn't say great) and a contributing D1 basketball or football player doesn't correlate. The way the system currently works, spending 50-60 hours/week on your sport in season and 20-30 hours/week out of season makes it nearly impossible to be a diligent student.
How does an athlete spend 60 hours a week on a sport.They are restricted to 20 hours of practice a week. An extra 40 hours. No way.

Norman Dale.
Norman Dale.
That’s a nice thought that I don’t think is accurate. I believe in the notion of the student athlete and really appreciate those who take their studies seriously. But a basketball player who is less committed to the classroom than to basketball doesn’t make that player a poor or unprepared teammate.

How does an athlete spend 60 hours a week on a sport.They are restricted to 20 hours of practice a week. An extra 40 hours. No way.
Even if you have a player who spends an extra 2 hours every day on their own, working on their game (shooting, weights, film study) which most coaches would consider a very dedicated player, you're adding 14 hours a week, for a total of 34.

Should mention that I've traveled with some teams and you'd be surprised at the number of laptops open to school work while waiting for the flight to take off.

That’s a nice thought that I don’t think is accurate. I believe in the notion of the student athlete and really appreciate those who take their studies seriously. But a basketball player who is less committed to the classroom than to basketball doesn’t make that player a poor or unprepared teammate.
Obviously there are exceptions to almost everything. Not to put words in this particular coaches mouth, but I think he was speaking of his general experience over his 20 years as a college coach. His preference is to get a good player who is also a good student. It's something he and his staff pay very close attention to.

Top Bottom