Academic Calendar Impact

MrGopher

The Anti-Sioux
Reaction score
Just read this article on USC's defense. Nothing about the primary content stood out too much...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-usc-football-20110823,0,5219941.story

What did catch my eye is the fact that USC has started classes this week. Classes at the U don't begin until after Labor Day (after the USC game). Now, I'm not saying that this is a game-changer (especially in this instance), but does stuff like this have any impact on the preparedness or mental fatigue of a team going into its first game? Could this be a (minor) factor in some of the early season upsets that we sometimes see?

It's just something I've never thought about before. Your thoughts?

That is interesting. I wonder if it does have a affect. We all know that we'll never have this issue because of the State Fair, but it can't hurt to have more people around campus to have more buzz for the game. I know a lot of schools started on Monday, including myself.

Our guys just have a few more weeks to focus exclusively on football, which must be pretty nice.

I would think this is an advantage for USC. They will be in their routine and will have a release from all the football being crammed in right now. Our guys have more time to dink around.

I'm sure Lil Kiffy is really demanding that they put the student in student-athlete.

Northwestern, being on the quarter system, starts 2-3 weeks later than everyone else. You would think it'd be a big advantage, but with NCAA regs on practice hour limitations, I don't think it makes a huge difference, i.e. they start practice at the same time in August and probably can't continue 2-a-days or require extra workout or film time into mid September just because the guys aren't in class yet.

You're a school? How did you type this? Non-organic entities have become sentient!?!? Run for the hills!

Citizen's United v. FEC: Corporations are now people too.

I'm guessing this probably includes the U of CrocShots.

That is interesting. I wonder if it does have a affect. We all know that we'll never have this issue because of the State Fair, but it can't hurt to have more people around campus to have more buzz for the game. I know a lot of schools started on Monday, including myself.

Our guys just have a few more weeks to focus exclusively on football, which must be pretty nice.

I think the U students start moving in Monday...there will be some buzz, or buzzed, that is.

Be glad that the U runs on semesters starting Labor Day weekend.

Schools that run on quarters sell their student tickets as full-price tickets for games before the official start of school. Perhaps a bigger impact is that there is no marching band for these early-season games. I know this is the case at Washington, and it may also be the case at Ohio State.

Citizen's United v. FEC: Corporations are now people too.

I'm guessing this probably includes the U of CrocShots.

The U of Crocshots exclusively teaches your children how to drink heavily and grill meats. All daughters should be directed to the Chancellor's office during the school year for immediate anatomy quizzes.

I think the U students start moving in Monday...there will be some buzz, or buzzed, that is.

I believe we start moving in on Tuesday, that's the day I'm moving in anyway, going to be starting my freshman year at the U! Looking forward to it, but a little nervous. Anyway, I'm moving in on Tuesday, and some are moving in on Wednesday, but I don't think anyone moves in on Monday, though I may be wrong. I'm really hoping I don't miss the USC game because of Welcome Week activities.

DPO Corrrection of the Week

You're a school? How did you type this? Non-organic entities have become sentient!?!? Run for the hills!

Damn, I enjoyed this one. Thanks dpodoll68. Not trying to pick a fight. I really did enjoy this one.

Top Bottom