Absolutely Terrific Strib Article

I enjoyed the article as well, but I do have some concerns.

I love pretty much everything that's pure about college football. That said, the highlight of most Saturdays is the football game itself, not the tailgating, not the band, and not the weather.

The article made the Goal Line Club sound as if they were more interested in watching leaves fall than watching Ohio State fall. I'm not a member so maybe I'm wrong about what they're all about, but I leave football games much happier after a W than a L.

:clap::clap:Finally and article that expresses how I feel. I said pretty much the same thing HERE a few weeks ago.

It appears to be a "chicken or egg" question between winning bringing fans and fans creating a winning atmosphere. The whole game day experience is the one thing we can start to sell that will break the cycle.

I love pretty much everything that's pure about college football. That said, the highlight of most Saturdays is the football game itself, not the tailgating, not the band, and not the weather.

The article made the Goal Line Club sound as if they were more interested in watching leaves fall than watching Ohio State fall. I'm not a member so maybe I'm wrong about what they're all about, but I leave football games much happier after a W than a L.

Of course winning is what it's about. But if it were only about winning, our entire new stadium would be empty -- not just the student section. If it were only about winning, I wouldn't be a season ticket holder, nor would my friends who sit next to me.

This emphasis on the total game day experience is where I think the U really dropped the ball. Of course winning is important. But if you want butts in the seats during the down times, or when the stadium is five years old, it better be fun. Encourage people to tailgate. More band and fewer ads during the game. Include the tradition, rivalries and pre- and post-game experience in your marketing -- along with the team on the field. The money -- and winning, hopefully -- will come.

If you can read that article and only come away with that then what's the point? Every article can't be "They should win or fire Brewster!" They story itself was about the "die hards" and why they are there and you can't read it for that? Listen to KFAN or Ruesse; read him or Souhan they'll give you all the "Gophers suck" and "get rid of Brewster" that you want.

Anybody who's paid for a Premium Seat has donated to the program. More power to them and I hope we all have a lot more happy Saturdays then we've had in the past. My wife, who's a big College Football fan also, says I'm in a bad mood the following week after every loss. I still come back though, and I see no reason to start bitching about others that don't have their week killed because of a loss.

My wife still needles me that I spent half a Saturday driving around in podunk, Vermont trying to find a bar with direct tv and the Gopher game. I was convinced somewhere would have it! I'm blessed to have a wife that shares in my passion for watching the games.

We were up at the lake this past weekend so I spent some time last night watching the DVR recording of the BTN's Gopher Preview while my wife read a book on the couch. In the middle of a chapter (of a book she was extremely into), she pauses - looks up at me - and says "all I've heard in the news is how bad the Gophers will be this year, but having that on in the background just gets me pumped for college football season." I fell in love all over again.

Three things about Rachel Blount

1. She is the best writer at the Star Tribune. Her comand and construction of a story is what won her a columnist post.
2. She has not only an interest in sports, but a facination with passion of sports. Its the same whether its the owner of Kentucky Debry hopefull or the members of The Goal Line Club. She is able to bring the human passion to life.
3. She began covering Gopher Football, and I get the feeling she is a fan.

Bottom line with Rachel, its up and its good!

It's a disease.

Your either afflicted with it or you're not

Top Bottom