Aaron Philo Commits!!!!

I’m actually his uncle lol all good. His dad’s brother. I’ll be going on his official visit w him and family in June.
Appreciate your posts! Generally, Minnesotans have a immediate skepticism about anything good. I've lived around the country and Minnesota is different in that sense. You'll hear about the "Minnesota Nice" thing (and it is true), Aaron will thrive here.
In fact, even the most skeptical Minnesotans will back him in the long-run. They just want to see what he's made of first and then it will be "all in". Don't worry, he's in good hands and a really good place to live. He might even take up skiing or ice-fishing along the way.
Glad to have you here as well.

Ty Adams is legit, yet only a 3 star. And that’s what is crazy about star ratings. Demelo Jones is a 4/5 star with offers from every major and he didn’t really impress me in the game. Had issues with cramps, but just seems like a track guy and not much football IQ. I guess he can be coached up but Adams was far superior in my eyeball test.
I saw the burst from Adams on the opening TD, then watched Stockton torch him on the following drive. I was like wow, that dude looks like P5 material, looks like he’s already committed to GT. Wouldn’t mind flipping him!

I saw the burst from Adams on the opening TD, then watched Stockton torch him on the following drive. I was like wow, that dude looks like P5 material, looks like he’s already committed to GT. Wouldn’t mind flipping him!
Stockton is a stud and tough as nails, plays both ways too. Broke his collarbone two weeks prior and played in the championship game with screws in it- and still came out and played that well. Tech actually offered him the same day they offered Aaron. The Prince program produces some tough, well coached and fundamentally sound players. They have a few linemen worth a look too. Hopefully the Gophers can use Aaron to build a pipeline to the south. So many talented kids getting overlooked just because of the sheer volume of talent coming out of the state.

I’m a close friend of the Philo family, have known Aaron for most of his life, and have closely followed his career. First off, what’s up with all of the negative comments on social media from some of the Gophers fans, y’all? (Not quite as bad here as on Twitter) A promising kid commits to your school and the welcome he gets are a bunch of off handed comments or questions about his ability? One “fan” even made a negative comment about his picture. SMH. Rough crowd. Some weird energy going on there among certain fans. Show him some love. He’ll recruit hard for the 2024 class.

Here’s the skinny on Aaron: He’s an exceptional young man. Mature, polite, humble, a true leader with great work ethic, excellent student. Aaron possesses a quiet confidence like I have never seen, and leads by example. Great upbringing with a great family. He’s a winner, competitive, and I always say that he was born to play the position. He’s not “wishy washy” in his commitment as was previously noted. He loves the staff and they have shown him consistent love throughout the process. Minnesota has been one of his top choices, and his unofficial visit affirmed that for him, and his family. Top notch school, facilities, and people throughout the program.

Aaron the player: all I can say is watch the tape. Exceptional arm strength, accuracy, and decision making, the ball just flies out of his hand effortlessly. He would also be an D1 baseball recruit if he played (threw a perfect game in his first varsity start). Aaron is not the fastest kid, but slides in the pocket very well to extend plays and can run when needed as you’ll see on the film. Runs thru people. He consistently makes throws as good, if not better, than any other quarterback in his class and can drop the ball in on a dime anywhere on the field.

Aaron competed in the Elite 11 regional in Nashville last spring. He competed against many other top QBs in the 2023 and 2024 class. In the release time and velocity portion, he beat Jaxon Smolik (Penn State), Brock Glenn (FSU), Kenny Minchey (ND), and Nico Iamaleava (Tennessee). I’ll be happy to share the graphic from Elite 11 if anyone wants to see it. In the overall pro day results, he finished tied for second just behind CJ Carr (ND), and beat several others including Walker White (2024 Auburn commit). He’ll be back for another Elite 11 in May at the Atlanta regional. Let’s support him in that- the bigger his profile becomes, the more attention that will bring to the Minnesota program and more recruits will follow him there.

Level of competition: Prince is an elite program. Top 10 in a state that is arguably the most talent rich in the country. Aaron is 27-2 in two years as a starter, one loss coming in the 2021 state championship game against a team with a handful of D1 commits. They’ve beaten many good teams. Teams won’t schedule them out of conference because of it. Class A teams in Georgia could probably compete with higher classification teams in almost every other state. Aaron was mentored by and maintains a close friendship with Brock Vandagriff (UGA), who also led the team to a state title, and was recruited by every school in the country as a 5 star. In the state championship game this past fall, Aaron went for almost 500 yards and 6 TDs against a defense that featured Ty Adams (UNC commit) and Demelo Jones (offers from Bama, Georgia and every other major). What else do people want to see? Prince also beat state champions from Tennessee (Baylor) and South Carolina (Hammond) in their non conference schedule. The majority of the teams they faced, especially in the playoffs, featured at least one or more high D1 commits or recruits.

Aaron is a tremendous addition to your program moving forward. In my opinion, he’s being overlooked by many (this opinion is held by many others “in the know”) and will end up the process as one of the top QBs in the class when all is said and done. Just wait and see. He’s a rising star in the 2024 class and will pick up his 4th star in no time, probably after the Elite 11. Follow this kid on Twitter and show him some love and support. He’s going to do great things for the Gopher program!
Social media has been an absolute fking nightmare since its creation and got worse after covid. Ignore the knobs there, whether they're true fans, fair weather, or badger trolls. Also stay off this site after a loss if you don't like to see negativity. Philo looks great, hope he stays committed through signing day and does well here.

Check this catch (and throw!) on this play in the championship, game. Insane for both!

Didn't want to reply to your longer post, but where's the negativity coming from? I don't follow recruiting on Twitter and I know that can be a cesspool. Thanks for the info.
Mostly Twitter. Cesspool for sure

I obviously have no future working for Rivals or 247.....what am I missing. Just watch his junior year highlights. Good size. Great arm. Looks incredibly accurate. Winner. What makes a 4 star?? Level of competition? Naked eye looks equivalent to big school Minnesota football and you can't ignore the stats.....100 TD's over his soph/junior seasons. Wow.

54 TDs this season is very impressive but it is even more impressive when you match it with 8 interceptions. He had 6 TDs and 1 interception in the state championship game.

54 TDs this season is very impressive but it is even more impressive when you match it with 8 interceptions. He had 6 TDs and 1 interception in the state championship game.
Aaron’s decision making vastly improved from his sophomore to junior season. Cut his interception total nearly in half, and doubled his rush yards total. He was not forcing things as much and just took what the defense would give him. The sky really is the limit as far as his continued development. Jon Richt (son of Mark Richt and former U of Miami OC) is his QB coach and really does a tremendous job with him.

Mostly Twitter. Cesspool for sure
I haven't seen anything negative but if it's out there, I'd bet 99% of it is not from Gopher fans. In my experience, casual Minnesota sports fans who don't follow teams closely are mostly clueless when trying to talk seriously about a team, and that's what you get on Twitter. I've learned not to let them rile me up anymore. A large percentage in our state watch all their football on Sundays. They probably hear that he doesn't have a Georgia offer so why are we offering? Seriously.

I haven't seen anything negative but if it's out there, I'd bet 99% of it is not from Gopher fans. In my experience, casual Minnesota sports fans who don't follow teams closely are mostly clueless when trying to talk seriously about a team, and that's what you get on Twitter. I've learned not to let them rile me up anymore. A large percentage in our state watch all their football on Sundays. They probably hear that he doesn't have a Georgia offer so why are we offering? Seriously.
That’s just twitter.

The medium encourages short, glib, hot takes.

You all seem like a good group of people here. We’re all in with the Gophers, and I’ll be happy to update as we move forward. The Elite 11 regional is May 13 in Atlanta and as far as I know, the official visit will be June 9-11. Excited to be a part of the continued success of the program!

You all seem like a good group of people here. We’re all in with the Gophers, and I’ll be happy to update as we move forward. The Elite 11 regional is May 13 in Atlanta and as far as I know, the official visit will be June 9-11. Excited to be a part of the continued success of the program!
Thanks for all the info, and welcome aboard. RTBSUMGG!!

You and yours are going to enjoy Huntington Bank Stadium!

That's maybe the BBQ weekend? PJ usually announces like 10 commits that weekend. Must be a fun weekend! Welcome aboard!

Anyone who is curious should watch the state title game from December against Swainsboro. That was the best team I have seen them play in 2 years, athletes everywhere and Ty Adams/Demelo Jones as I already noted. It was one of the best games I have ever seen Aaron play and featured some of his best throws. Come from behind win. There’s never a doubt w Aaron. They did it against Baylor, the state champs from Tennessee, too on a game winning drive with under two mins to play.

Why did they have to bring up Michael Vick vs the Vikings 13 minutes into this broadcast though :sneaky:

A few observations after watching the Philo tape:

*Nice arm and sure to get stronger
*Doesnt stare down receivers
*Can throw the slant

Never saw him get touched in any of those highlights, moved very well & kept his head down field
Concerned he didnt seem to target tight ends ;)

Looks like a very nice commit

Fantastic info on another "under the radar" commit who should be a great addition to the program. Trust Uncle Eddie. It would be great to renew/expand our GA recruiting success. And I'm really liking the looks of our QB room.

Thank you so much for the info on your nephew! I was already very excited by his commitment, now I’m run through a wall excited!

Best time to drop a line and catch fish. Bring a pole, a cooler, and a radio to catch the Twins while relaxing on the pontoon. Life is beautiful.

A few observations after watching the Philo tape:

*Nice arm and sure to get stronger
*Doesnt stare down receivers
*Can throw the slant

Never saw him get touched in any of those highlights, moved very well & kept his head down field
Concerned he didnt seem to target tight ends ;)

Looks like a very nice commit
One more observation from watching the Georgia 1A Championship game: Prince Ave Christian could compete successfully at the highest level of Minnesota high school football.

We need not be concerned that Philo's level of competition is not strong enough to prepare him for Big Ten play. Prince Ave had three receivers better than anything coming out of Minnesota.

One other note: There are plenty of D1 quarterbacks now who do not look off the defenders the way Philo did a few times in that game.

Last edited:

I heard the facilities are amazing. I’m excited to see it for myself!
This is exciting. Our QB room could be set for 7 years.

Athan is the real deal too and I fully expect him to outshine Drake Maye on September 16. Having a talented QB like Aaron up next is just as exciting! And hey who knows, maybe Aaron can convince some high end Georgia WR’s to come here. The last one worked out 😅

Fantastic info on another "under the radar" commit who should be a great addition to the program. Trust Uncle Eddie. It would be great to renew/expand our GA recruiting success. And I'm really liking the looks of our QB room.
We have to trust Uncle Eddie and the Philo family -- let's toss PJ and staff in there too -- to keep this kid on a straight line to the U of M. He is going to be about as far under the radar as the Chinese flu.

Top Bottom