Aaron Philo Commits!!!!

Seems like he might be an under the radar talent that could pick up some big time offers later.

And a school of 800 kids is not that small. Totino has 700, Cretin 900 and ya the big Twin city public schools are 2500-3000 but there is only...what 25-30 of those? And there are over 1200 high schools in Minnesota....the big majority of which are smaller than 800 kids.

Whew! Glad I read the thread. Saw the headline and couldn't figure out what position a first century Jewish philosopher would play.

PhiloFB.jpg

Seriously, very good get. I've always been of the opinion that you land a solid QB prospect every class. Nice to get that done early.

I’m a close friend of the Philo family, have known Aaron for most of his life, and have closely followed his career. First off, what’s up with all of the negative comments on social media from some of the Gophers fans, y’all? (Not quite as bad here as on Twitter) A promising kid commits to your school and the welcome he gets are a bunch of off handed comments or questions about his ability? One “fan” even made a negative comment about his picture. SMH. Rough crowd. Some weird energy going on there among certain fans. Show him some love. He’ll recruit hard for the 2024 class.

Here’s the skinny on Aaron: He’s an exceptional young man. Mature, polite, humble, a true leader with great work ethic, excellent student. Aaron possesses a quiet confidence like I have never seen, and leads by example. Great upbringing with a great family. He’s a winner, competitive, and I always say that he was born to play the position. He’s not “wishy washy” in his commitment as was previously noted. He loves the staff and they have shown him consistent love throughout the process. Minnesota has been one of his top choices, and his unofficial visit affirmed that for him, and his family. Top notch school, facilities, and people throughout the program.

Aaron the player: all I can say is watch the tape. Exceptional arm strength, accuracy, and decision making, the ball just flies out of his hand effortlessly. He would also be an D1 baseball recruit if he played (threw a perfect game in his first varsity start). Aaron is not the fastest kid, but slides in the pocket very well to extend plays and can run when needed as you’ll see on the film. Runs thru people. He consistently makes throws as good, if not better, than any other quarterback in his class and can drop the ball in on a dime anywhere on the field.

Aaron competed in the Elite 11 regional in Nashville last spring. He competed against many other top QBs in the 2023 and 2024 class. In the release time and velocity portion, he beat Jaxon Smolik (Penn State), Brock Glenn (FSU), Kenny Minchey (ND), and Nico Iamaleava (Tennessee). I’ll be happy to share the graphic from Elite 11 if anyone wants to see it. In the overall pro day results, he finished tied for second just behind CJ Carr (ND), and beat several others including Walker White (2024 Auburn commit). He’ll be back for another Elite 11 in May at the Atlanta regional. Let’s support him in that- the bigger his profile becomes, the more attention that will bring to the Minnesota program and more recruits will follow him there.

Level of competition: Prince is an elite program. Top 10 in a state that is arguably the most talent rich in the country. Aaron is 27-2 in two years as a starter, one loss coming in the 2021 state championship game against a team with a handful of D1 commits. They’ve beaten many good teams. Teams won’t schedule them out of conference because of it. Class A teams in Georgia could probably compete with higher classification teams in almost every other state. Aaron was mentored by and maintains a close friendship with Brock Vandagriff (UGA), who also led the team to a state title, and was recruited by every school in the country as a 5 star. In the state championship game this past fall, Aaron went for almost 500 yards and 6 TDs against a defense that featured Ty Adams (UNC commit) and Demelo Jones (offers from Bama, Georgia and every other major). What else do people want to see? Prince also beat state champions from Tennessee (Baylor) and South Carolina (Hammond) in their non conference schedule. The majority of the teams they faced, especially in the playoffs, featured at least one or more high D1 commits or recruits.

Aaron is a tremendous addition to your program moving forward. In my opinion, he’s being overlooked by many (this opinion is held by many others “in the know”) and will end up the process as one of the top QBs in the class when all is said and done. Just wait and see. He’s a rising star in the 2024 class and will pick up his 4th star in no time, probably after the Elite 11. Follow this kid on Twitter and show him some love and support. He’s going to do great things for the Gopher program!

I’m a close friend of the Philo family, have known Aaron for most of his life, and have closely followed his career. First off, what’s up with all of the negative comments on social media from some of the Gophers fans, y’all? (Not quite as bad here as on Twitter) A promising kid commits to your school and the welcome he gets are a bunch of off handed comments or questions about his ability? One “fan” even made a negative comment about his picture. SMH. Rough crowd. Some weird energy going on there among certain fans. Show him some love. He’ll recruit hard for the 2024 class.

Here’s the skinny on Aaron: He’s an exceptional young man. Mature, polite, humble, a true leader with great work ethic, excellent student. Aaron possesses a quiet confidence like I have never seen, and leads by example. Great upbringing with a great family. He’s a winner, competitive, and I always say that he was born to play the position. He’s not “wishy washy” in his commitment as was previously noted. He loves the staff and they have shown him consistent love throughout the process. Minnesota has been one of his top choices, and his unofficial visit affirmed that for him, and his family. Top notch school, facilities, and people throughout the program.

Aaron the player: all I can say is watch the tape. Exceptional arm strength, accuracy, and decision making, the ball just flies out of his hand effortlessly. He would also be an D1 baseball recruit if he played (threw a perfect game in his first varsity start). Aaron is not the fastest kid, but slides in the pocket very well to extend plays and can run when needed as you’ll see on the film. Runs thru people. He consistently makes throws as good, if not better, than any other quarterback in his class and can drop the ball in on a dime anywhere on the field.

Aaron competed in the Elite 11 regional in Nashville last spring. He competed against many other top QBs in the 2023 and 2024 class. In the release time and velocity portion, he beat Jaxon Smolik (Penn State), Brock Glenn (FSU), Kenny Minchey (ND), and Nico Iamaleava (Tennessee). I’ll be happy to share the graphic from Elite 11 if anyone wants to see it. In the overall pro day results, he finished tied for second just behind CJ Carr (ND), and beat several others including Walker White (2024 Auburn commit). He’ll be back for another Elite 11 in May at the Atlanta regional. Let’s support him in that- the bigger his profile becomes, the more attention that will bring to the Minnesota program and more recruits will follow him there.

Level of competition: Prince is an elite program. Top 10 in a state that is arguably the most talent rich in the country. Aaron is 27-2 in two years as a starter, one loss coming in the 2021 state championship game against a team with a handful of D1 commits. They’ve beaten many good teams. Teams won’t schedule them out of conference because of it. Class A teams in Georgia could probably compete with higher classification teams in almost every other state. Aaron was mentored by and maintains a close friendship with Brock Vandagriff (UGA), who also led the team to a state title, and was recruited by every school in the country as a 5 star. In the state championship game this past fall, Aaron went for almost 500 yards and 6 TDs against a defense that featured Ty Adams (UNC commit) and Demelo Jones (offers from Bama, Georgia and every other major). What else do people want to see? Prince also beat state champions from Tennessee (Baylor) and South Carolina (Hammond) in their non conference schedule. The majority of the teams they faced, especially in the playoffs, featured at least one or more high D1 commits or recruits.

Aaron is a tremendous addition to your program moving forward. In my opinion, he’s being overlooked by many (this opinion is held by many others “in the know”) and will end up the process as one of the top QBs in the class when all is said and done. Just wait and see. He’s a rising star in the 2024 class and will pick up his 4th star in no time, probably after the Elite 11. Follow this kid on Twitter and show him some love and support. He’s going to do great things for the Gopher program!
Thanks for the input.

I’d be wary about believing everyone is who they say they are on social media.

I’ve seen a few “fan” accounts on social media who I seriously doubt are “fans” would ever say anything positive. I think some are just jerks, others I suspect are just posing as rival fans….

Thanks for posting! You can't take Twitter seriously at all. It's a cesspool these days and who knows if the people commenting claiming to be "fans" were actually that or trolls. Either way, I'd say our fan base is thrilled to have a quality QB from Georgia committed this early and we are excited to watch him continue to develop!

I don't really see any negative comments on here and trust me, there (at times) can be plenty of negativity here.

Twitter is, well...Twitter. There's a reason I don't have a Twitter account. Lots of garbage. I wouldn't put much stock into anything you see there.

That said, thanks for posting. He seems like a promising recruit. Many of us here have perhaps tempered some excitement we have for recruits with decommitments, transfers, NIL poaching, etc.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting!

I haven't seen negatively on here. This place is USUALLY pretty level-headed (just skip the in game threads lol). The only real questions I've seen are the size of the school and competition level.

Most are thinking he's under the radar right now as PJ has done a nice job of finding guys before they blow up. Some have stayed (Rashod Bateman) while others have moved on. That might part of the tempered response. That and the hoops team just had a 5 star center ask out of his LOI, so many take a wait and see approach....welcome to dealing with Minnesotans Lmao!!

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for posting. You are probably referring to my comment about his jersey. Looking back, it probably was in bad taste. It was an off handed reference to the michigan wolverines, not the high school and only meant as a joke to hurry and get him in a Gopher jersey. But either way, apologies and not meant as an insult.

Other than that, great info and keep it coming. Awesome to have Aaron and can't wait to get him on campus.

Thanks for the info!

Class A in Georgia is a lot different than Class A in Minnesota or most other states around the country.

I'm excited to see what he can do!

That said, thanks for posting. He seems like a promising recruit. Many of us here have perhaps tempered some excitement we have for recruits with decommitments, transfers, NIL poaching, etc.
I can understand that. Aaron is a solid kid. While you see many other recruits posting on social media and it’s all about them with the ellaborate commitment videos, hat switching and all of the other junk, Aaron is not about that stuff. He’s all business. And he has never once mentioned NIL money as a driving factor, whereas you see other kids selling themselves to the highest bidder, and choosing their destination for the wrong reasons (and ending up in the portal) Aaron is also a devout Christian who has real values that are important to him, which seem to be lost in the recruiting game these days. Coach Fleck and Coach Harbaugh did a tremendous job on selling the direction of the program, his development as a player, their values, and what they stand for at Minnesota. That is why he committed.

Love this post, thanks for the insight. Please share more about Aaron's journey/progress, etc., it will be appreciated!

Go Gophers!!

Anyone who is curious should watch the state title game from December against Swainsboro. That was the best team I have seen them play in 2 years, athletes everywhere and Ty Adams/Demelo Jones as I already noted. It was one of the best games I have ever seen Aaron play and featured some of his best throws. Come from behind win. There’s never a doubt w Aaron. They did it against Baylor, the state champs from Tennessee, too on a game winning drive with under two mins to play.

I can understand that. Aaron is a solid kid. While you see many other recruits posting on social media and it’s all about them with the ellaborate commitment videos, hat switching and all of the other junk, Aaron is not about that stuff. He’s all business. And he has never once mentioned NIL money as a driving factor, whereas you see other kids selling themselves to the highest bidder, and choosing their destination for the wrong reasons (and ending up in the portal) Aaron is also a devout Christian who has real values that are important to him, which seem to be lost in the recruiting game these days. Coach Fleck and Coach Harbaugh did a tremendous job on selling the direction of the program, his development as a player, their values, and what they stand for at Minnesota. That is why he committed.
I really appreciate your inside take on Aaron. Your comments on who he is as a person have me very excited and reminds me a lot of Tanner Morgan, our previous starting QB who holds many Gopher records. From the film and what I have read, Aaron possesses more arm talent and accuracy than Morgan, which makes me excited for the future of Gopher FB.

On this board, there can be cynical pessimism and Minnesotans in general (especially MN sports fans) like to temper their expectations. Our basketball program just lost the #18 player in the country to NIL (allegedly). Whenever the Gophers have a player/coach of immense talent, fans seem terrified that they will leave us for a better program. Insecurity and abandonment issues run rampant in our ranks. Don't let it get you down :)

I’ll say this about Aaron- one prominent college coach told him if he was an inch or two taller, he would be a 5 star with offers from every Power 5 school. I think that is so overblown. He’s already 6’2 and still growing. He hasn’t really reached his physical peak yet in my mind. His arm strength is at the top of the class already.

The Elite 11 in May will be a big test for him. He’ll likely be competing some of the other top QBs in Georgia there if they choose the Atlanta regional- Luke Kromenhoek (FSU commit), Jake Merklinger (Mich St, Tenn, and UNC in the mix), and Air Noland (Auburn lean). Aaron is the ultimate competitor and is going to ball out, which will only help to raise his profile and hopefully add some more recruits to the 2024 class for Minnesota.

Anyone who is curious should watch the state title game from December against Swainsboro. That was the best team I have seen them play in 2 years, athletes everywhere and Ty Adams/Demelo Jones as I already noted. It was one of the best games I have ever seen Aaron play and featured some of his best throws. Come from behind win. There’s never a doubt w Aaron. They did it against Baylor, the state champs from Tennessee, too on a game winning drive with under two mins to play.
Thanks for the link. The Swainsboro staff messed up by letting anyone by Ty Adams take a snap. He's playing at the next level at North Carolina as a CB, but lawd, he is blazing fast.

For those who don't want to watch the whole game, just go to the 2 minute mark of the 2nd quarter to see the throw Philo makes with 1 minute left for a TD, and go to the very end of the 3rd quarter to see an absolute dime in stride for another TD.

He looks great in this game.

Thanks for the link. The Swainsboro staff messed up by letting anyone by Ty Adams take a snap. He's playing at the next level at North Carolina as a CB, but lawd, he is blazing fast.

For those who don't want to watch the whole game, just go to the 2 minute mark of the 2nd quarter to see the throw Philo makes with 1 minute left for a TD, and go to the very end of the 3rd quarter to see an absolute dime in stride for another TD.

He looks great in this game.
Ty Adams is legit, yet only a 3 star. And that’s what is crazy about star ratings. Demelo Jones is a 4/5 star with offers from every major and he didn’t really impress me in the game. Had issues with cramps, but just seems like a track guy and not much football IQ. I guess he can be coached up but Adams was far superior in my eyeball test.

Wow, good info. You certainly know a lot about this young man.

Looking forward to seeing him in maroon & gold some day. Do you have any concern about his Minnesota commitment sticking??

Getting some TommyBoy vibes with all these posts. Glad we got him but the “friend of the kid” thing has been used around here before 🤦‍♂️

He’s got a nice arm!

Wow, that is some impressive tape. I don't know much about Georgia HS FB, but if that's the lowest class, holy cow...they play some FB down there! There's athletes on the other side of that line and it's not like Philo's WRs were running wide open -- he was dropping the ball in a bucket down the field and hitting guys on the run, out of the pocket, etc. Color me impressed and hopeful MN hangs on to this commit.

I obviously have no future working for Rivals or 247.....what am I missing. Just watch his junior year highlights. Good size. Great arm. Looks incredibly accurate. Winner. What makes a 4 star?? Level of competition? Naked eye looks equivalent to big school Minnesota football and you can't ignore the stats.....100 TD's over his soph/junior seasons. Wow.
Wingspan!

Top Bottom