A stat that may surprise you (it surprised me)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Willis (35.1%) and Kalscheur (32.8%) rank 6th and 7th respectively in the Big Ten in 3-point FG%.

Gabe (2.3) is tied for 2nd in 3-pointers made per game , and Payton (2.1) is tied for 4th.

Gopher are middle of the road three point shooting team tied for 8th in the Big 10 at 32.3%, ahead of Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers, and Northwestern.

Tied for 9th in FT shooting.

BULL SHYTE!!! I don't believe it.

Our Conference stinks for 3 pt shooting!

Willis (35.1%) and Kalscheur (32.8%) rank 6th and 7th respectively in the Big Ten in 3-point FG%.

Gabe (2.3) is tied for 2nd in 3-pointers made per game , and Payton (2.1) is tied for 4th.
That's all games.
Gabe was shooting fine in non-conference play 34/78 or almost 44%
In Big Ten play he is shooting 26% -33/126
If Gabe had shot 40% in Big Ten play (his average overall for last year) that's another 51 points....
Crazy year.
Willis has been more level- he has shot 33% in Big Ten play @ 30/91

stats that should surprise no one....266th in FG% and 233rd in free throw %

Gopher are middle of the road three point shooting team tied for 8th in the Big 10 at 32.3%, ahead of Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers, and Northwestern.

We are actually second to last in Big Ten play at 30 percent. The worst? Illinois at .295

And again there- we are worse in the Big Ten - tied for 11th at .679. Shoot 75% and we would have score 23 more points- enough to turn a few games for sure.

Pitino has never recruited consistent shooters. His teams are always near the bottom in FG efficiency. That's been a huge detriment this year in particular. If we had two consistent shooters this season could have played out differently with all the close games. I wouldn't call Gabe or Willis consistent one bit.

Pitino has never recruited consistent shooters. His teams are always near the bottom in FG efficiency. That's been a huge detriment this year in particular. If we had two consistent shooters this season could have played out differently with all the close games. I wouldn't call Gabe or Willis consistent one bit.

Been over this a bunch, recruited plenty, they haven't turned out. There is a difference. We can rip MN 3 pt shooting percentage all we want but currently they are tied for 8th ahead of teams like Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, and Indiana. Defensively we need to do better and we will win games. That's more controllable.

Been over this a bunch, recruited plenty, they haven't turned out. There is a difference. We can rip MN 3 pt shooting percentage all we want but currently they are tied for 8th ahead of teams like Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, and Indiana. Defensively we need to do better and we will win games. That's more controllable.

Finishing games too. Like not making stupid turnovers in the last few minutes while inbounding the ball. The Gophers run terrible offensive plays too in the last 5 minutes of every game it seems. Pitino's teams are so confused on how to break a press. Sure, he may have recruited shooters that were good at the HS level, but they can't seem to handle the pressures of the Big 10 and cannot create their own shot vs high caliber Big 10 defenses.

Finishing games too. Like not making stupid turnovers in the last few minutes while inbounding the ball. The Gophers run terrible offensive plays too in the last 5 minutes of every game it seems. Pitino's teams are so confused on how to break a press. Sure, he may have recruited shooters that were good at the HS level, but they can't seem to handle the pressures of the Big 10 and cannot create their own shot vs high caliber Big 10 defenses.

Finishing games and seasons has continued to be an issue I have as well. I think the sets he runs are fine (he gets the ball to who he wants most of the time), I do not think he calls time outs enough to stop runs. Press break against Maryland was AWFUL and screamed of panic. Brought 4 guys up but didn't release until like the 3-4 time and then Gabe caught it at half court and was fouled. Zone offenses have been questionable as well. Not a ton of creativity there.

BIG is tough and yes shooting percentages go down in this league because of style and how many teams just flat out defend.

Finishing games and seasons has continued to be an issue I have as well. I think the sets he runs are fine (he gets the ball to who he wants most of the time), I do not think he calls time outs enough to stop runs. Press break against Maryland was AWFUL and screamed of panic. Brought 4 guys up but didn't release until like the 3-4 time and then Gabe caught it at half court and was fouled. Zone offenses have been questionable as well. Not a ton of creativity there.

BIG is tough and yes shooting percentages go down in this league because of style and how many teams just flat out defend.

That Maryland game was when I was done with Pitino. That may have been his worst loss ever.

Top Bottom