A rather amusing column by Gary Parrish

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Really like this Ohio State walk-on after reading this column. Anyone who can get under the NBA's skin (read: David Stern), gotta' like him.

I think Parrish's solution to the early-entrant process makes some sense. Either declare after your senior year of high school (or after turning 18) or after your sophomore year of college. Once you declare, you're gone. Then there's none of this "testing the waters" BS.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11708061

I like Gary Parrish even more now after he used a The Big Lebowski quote in his column: "(This aggression will not stand, man.)"

Titus' blog is always an amusing read. I'm pretty convinced the only reason he still plays is to simply keep the blog hits coming.

In all seriousness though, this is getting quite ridiculous. Either you're a player, or you need some more work.

That is one of the best things I've read about when it comes to the NBA. The NBA is a complete joke when it comes to pretty much everything. Reading about this combined with Rondo somehow not getting suspended after punching Brad Miller in the face (yeah, he was going for the basketball my a$$) and following that up with throwing Heinrich into the scorer's table and then trying to elbow him in the face after Heinrich stood up for himself. I have lost all interest in the NBA and pro sports in general except when it comes to mocking it like The Shark did all too well. I just may have to declare for the NBA Draft next year. Which NBA team doesn't want the lowest scorer on his intramural team. Though I need to start a blog, think of a great nickname for myself and become more of a comedian.

NBA and NFL

If I were told I could never watch the NBA or NFL again in my lifetime, I might think about it for 30 seconds. I never watch the NBA anymore and the NFL gets a look once in a while. It is hard for me to watch people who I don't respect in terms of character and lifestyle. Millionaire arrogant punks and illiterates are not the exception in these two leagues. They are an accepted norm. It turns me off. No amount of natural physical talent makes me want to watch these people. The constant phony hype insults me.

Although we would like to think all our "star players" are true student athletes, they may be the same punks or wannabes in terms of character and lifestyle. Many of them just temporarily refrain from being so in order to go through college, another step toward pro ranks. Big revernue college sports are heavily influenced by those punks and wannabes. Academic institutions do act often enough as profiteering entities in recruiting and managing those players. I don't know if we can truly draw the line in morality between pro and college revenue sports these days unless you only look at those players who will never have pro aspiration realized. So, I see it as an issue judged on individual basis rather than the whole system.

Trillion

Really like this Ohio State walk-on after reading this column. Anyone who can get under the NBA's skin (read: David Stern), gotta' like him.

I think Parrish's solution to the early-entrant process makes some sense. Either declare after your senior year of high school (or after turning 18) or after your sophomore year of college. Once you declare, you're gone. Then there's none of this "testing the waters" BS.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11708061

Bill Simmons is a huge fan of the Club Trillion and had Mark on his podcast sometime around March Madness. Dont remember the exact date but it was good stuff and worth a listen.

Top Bottom