A Question on Offensive Rules

forestlaker

Reaction score
1. At the snap, the offense must have 7 players on the line of scrimmage?

2. Only the 2 players on the ends of the 7 player line are eligible to catch a pass?

3. Counting the 2 players on the line and the 4 remaining in the backfield, 6 players are eligible to catch a pass on a given play?

4. All 11 players on offense are eligible to run the ball and pass the ball?

5. Finally, if all the above are true, it would be possible to have Moses Alipate playing guard, to pull, receive a pitch or handoff and pass it to one of 6 receivers. This would allow you to get 6 receivers in the play rather than the usual maximum of 5.

With the move of Alipate to TE, it just made me think of different possibilities and I don't believe I"ve ever seen and interior lineman throw the ball on a play.

Yes to all 5.

The problem is it is unlikely Alipate ever plays a down.

No to #1. The actual rule is that you can't have more then four in the backfield. You can actually play with 10 or 9 on offense without getting a penalty as long as there are only four or fewer in the backfield. HS rule is that you must have 7 on the line.

We already have Pirsig lined up to throw the ball, right?

No to #1. The actual rule is that you can't have more then four in the backfield. You can actually play with 10 or 9 on offense without getting a penalty as long as there are only four or fewer in the backfield. HS rule is that you must have 7 on the line.
Whoops. I didn't know the rule was different.

Whoops. I didn't know the rule was different.

Changed 3-4 years ago in college.

I wish that HS would adopt it as well. It is easier for officials to count more then four in the backfield then 7 on the line. It would also allow HS teams to play with 10 which they do sometimes by mistake. Why penalize a team for playing with 10? They are already playing short. In HS if they have 10 on the field 9 times out of 10 they are not going to have 7 on he line, which is a foul.

I do not think you can take a direct handoff if you are in the "line" center, guard, or tackle. The fumblerooski, was built on the ball being left on the ground. And that has been banned. Those players outside ends, flankers, etc may take a handoff.

The only player on the end of the Offensive line who is NOT an eligible receiver, is the Center.

IOW... XOOOOOO X is the snapper, not eligible receiver. Am I right or wrong?

The only player on the end of the Offensive line who is NOT an eligible receiver, is the Center.

IOW... XOOOOOO X is the snapper, not eligible receiver. Am I right or wrong?

To be an eligible receiver you must be eligible by number and position. The center if on the line can be eligible if he does not have a number 50-79. However, you must have at least 5 players with numbers 50-79 on the field to be legal, unless you are in a kicking formation.

I believe that the guards and tackles can take a handoff that is backwards or they at least have to to turn and face their own endzone before taking a handoff like in HS.

At the end of the day Alipate will not be a guard.

Okay, as long as we're at it, I've had a couple questions on player numbers. Game after game, the guy behind me would always yell during kickoffs asking "Why is Gray on the kickoff team?" Of course, it was Johnny Johnson and I figured it wasn't worth my breath to correct him. Anyway, with numbers being shared on teams, is it okay to have two players with the same number on the field at the same time. I wouldn't think so, but have never seen a rule. Also, would it be possible for a player to have two numbers? For example, a player may occasionally play wide receiver and wear #80. But, on defense, they come in sometimes on 3rd and long situations. Could they wear #34 for that?

Okay, as long as we're at it, I've had a couple questions on player numbers. Game after game, the guy behind me would always yell during kickoffs asking "Why is Gray on the kickoff team?" Of course, it was Johnny Johnson and I figured it wasn't worth my breath to correct him. Anyway, with numbers being shared on teams, is it okay to have two players with the same number on the field at the same time. I wouldn't think so, but have never seen a rule. Also, would it be possible for a player to have two numbers? For example, a player may occasionally play wide receiver and wear #80. But, on defense, they come in sometimes on 3rd and long situations. Could they wear #34 for that?

Haha, he couldn't tell that they were at least 7 inches difference in height between the two? That's funny.

I believe the rule is that two players can have the same number, they just can't be on the field at the same time ever. As for changing numbers, I gotta believe you cannot do that.

Haha, he couldn't tell that they were at least 7 inches difference in height between the two? That's funny.

I believe the rule is that two players can have the same number, they just can't be on the field at the same time ever. As for changing numbers, I gotta believe you cannot do that.

I remember several years ago in the NFL Brian Bosworth ripped his jersey to the point the officials required him to change uniforms. The Seahawk folks could not find a second jersey for him and he ended up wearing someone else's jersey. When he did, if I remember right the coach had to provide a revised roster showing the different number for Bosworth to the officials and opposing coach. Then when the staff finally found Bosworth's spare jersey, they had to do it again. And Bosworth and the guy whose jersey Bosworth was using couldn't be on the field at the same time.

I know that's NFL vs. NCAA but I would assume it's fairly similar, so that number changes only happen in unusual circumstances. And I am nearly certain you can't have two players with the same number on the field at the same time.

We used to run an extra point play with an eligible center. This was in a high school. The play might be illegal now.

We used to run an extra point play with an eligible center. This was in a high school. The play might be illegal now.

As long as he is on the end of the line and does not wear 50-79, this is still okay. Center is sometimes eligible on the swinging gate formation for exta points.

I know that our tackle in HS would sometimes wear 99 over his 70 to allow us to get a bigger offense on the field or run some unbalances formations. I believe it is still legal in HS. You cannot do this in the NCAA and you cannot have two guys with the same number on the field at the same time. I actually think this happened in a Tulsa game two years ago where they won on a hail mary and had two guys with the same number on the field and it was not called.

Players with the same number

If I remember right two players may have the same number but 1) can't be on the field at the same time (special teams) and 2) must play on different sides of the ball and can NEVER play on the other side of the ball. Jimmy Johnson can never play offense and Gray can never play defense.

Top Bottom