a question for Gopher football historians

denguegopher

Reaction score
I read this article recently about Notre Dame and their lack of left handed QB's. I started to think about lefty Gopher QB's and I'm coming up empty, who am I forgetting? I remember in the '70's we had a recruit out of Bloomington Jefferson named Steve Winum who I think was a lefty, but I don't recall if he ever played a down. There has to have been one or two. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eves-hell-be-notre-dames-starting-qb/7015319/

I read this article recently about Notre Dame and their lack of left handed QB's. I started to think about lefty Gopher QB's and I'm coming up empty, who am I forgetting? I remember in the '70's we had a recruit out of Bloomington Jefferson named Steve Winum who I think was a lefty, but I don't recall if he ever played a down. There has to have been one or two. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eves-hell-be-notre-dames-starting-qb/7015319/

Eric Decker threw a pass or two for us.

Larry Carlson played on the 1967 championship team. Mark Carlson played on the 1977 team that beat No. 1 ranked Michigan 16-0. I don't think they were related.

Larry Carlson played on the 1967 championship team. Mark Carlson played on the 1977 team that beat No. 1 ranked Michigan 16-0. I don't think they were related.

Of course not. Their names are Larry and Mark.

Aren't left-handed quarterbacks generally thrown, tied to a cinder block, into the Mississippi?

Alabama had a great one in Ken Stabler. Mark Brunell was pretty good at Washington. Nebraska had David Humm. Of course Steve Young at BYU. And before Teboe it was Bobby Douglas.

And

Alabama had a great one in Ken Stabler. Mark Brunell was pretty good at Washington. Nebraska had David Humm. Of course Steve Young at BYU. And before Teboe it was Bobby Douglas.

Brad Johnson threw a touchdown pass left handed once...at least that's how I remember it.

But I don't think the Gophers have had a left hander in 60 years who played, have they? Does seem odd compared to baseball pitchers.

I do know it is a mess to coach if you got one left handed and one righted quarterback. Maybe that's why?

Todd Marinovich, but I believe his father forced him to be left handed.

And Larry Carlson was left handed. He did throw 5 touchdown passes. So we have had at least one. Mark Carlson was right handed.

Top Bottom