A new dilemma..

CP Gopher

Reaction score
I'm training for a November marathon. My schedule calls for a few long runs on Gopher game days. Need some 2:30 starts or even a night game or two. The Western Illinois 11 AM kickoff is going to be a killer.

I'm training for a November marathon. My schedule calls for a few long runs on Gopher game days. Need some 2:30 starts or even a night game or two. The Western Illinois 11 AM kickoff is going to be a killer.

Run fast, start early, or start late. Lots of options for you CP. Good luck to ya, my friend.

I've run before or after 11 AM games. I found it easier to wake up super early get a run in (even if it takes an hour or more) then go tailgate. Makes the beer taste better.

5am is a great start time for a run - kids aren't up yet, nice temps, quiet streets. And as Gophergrad points out, makes for a guilt-free tailgate.

I normally run at 5:30 AM, but it's a little different when you're doing 16-18 miles before tailgating at 9:00.

I ran the TC in 2009. I don't think you are going to mess up your results by shifting the long runs by a day or so.

My $0.02.

I ran the TC in 2009. I don't think you are going to mess up your results by shifting the long runs by a day or so.

My $0.02.

Bingo. I've run 13 marathons and scheduling/weather caused me to move my long run from a Saturday to a Sunday a number of times.

" Run Forest run" ! To get in shape for hoops in my early 30's I use to run 2 miles in the snow with snowmobile boots on. The best shape I've ever been in my life. Now in my golden years the only time I run is to beat the others in the "10 item or less" checkout line at Mills Fleet Farm.

Bingo. I've run 13 marathons and scheduling/weather caused me to move my long run from a Saturday to a Sunday a number of times.

Yeah, the moving around of the schedule shouldn't be completely willy nilly. But shifting the long run to Sunday won't hurt you at all.

The others are right though too.

The beer will taste better and the daggum chili will be so hot your eyes will water if you get that run in at 5am.

Gopher Saturdays tend to be all-day affairs for me. Running an 18-20 miler on those Sundays is not an option.
I see myself doing a 4:30 AM long one on the day of the Western Illinois game.
Need a game time for San Jose State. Iowa is 2:30 so I should be okay for that one.

I have run 25 marathons and ran virtually all my long runs in the AM. The few times I had to run later my legs did not have the same strength. If Sunday is not an option the very early Saturday option seems the best. I am hoping to run the B1G 10 K in Chicago in July Good luck to you CP.

I have run 25 marathons and ran virtually all my long runs in the AM. The few times I had to run later my legs did not have the same strength. If Sunday is not an option the very early Saturday option seems the best. I am hoping to run the B1G 10 K in Chicago in July Good luck to you CP.

Thanks for the well-wishes. I'm running New York in November, which will be my ninth marathon.

I ran New York in 2004. I would say it was as good as Boston. A bit of advice- you start the race on the Verazzano Narrows Bridge which is a double-decker bridge. Try to get on the upper deck as runners on the upper deck will urinate waiting for the race and you may get doused if you are on the lower deck! The bridges are really the only "hills" I recall . The Queensborough Bridge at mile 19 going into Manhattan is a long climb. Once you cross the bridge into the east side of Manhattan the spectators can be 10 deep along the course.

I would like to have "Nate" comment on this. He is uniquely qualified to do so.

Gopher Saturdays tend to be all-day affairs for me. Running an 18-20 miler on those Sundays is not an option.

I remember when I was training for Grandma's a few years ago and had to run a 20 miler on Memorial Day weekend. We were in Indianapolis for our annual trip for the Indy 500 and Friday was spent having a little too much beer and greasy food. So I can sympathize with not wanting to run a 20 miler the day after a lot of tailgating.

I've also run 20 milers starting before the sun is up to beat the heat so that is definitely an option. Unfortunately, if it was before an 11:00AM start, you would probably have to be out running at 5:00 AM if you wanted to finish and get cleaned up in time to any serious pre-game tailgating. But it could be a good way to "earn" your tailgate.

Good luck.

I will swiftly walk directly to any tailgate. I will NOT waste one breath of air or one heart beat running, in any way shape or form.

Top Bottom