A Message for the "One Game at a Time" Posters....

There's always gonna be another mountain. We're always gonna wanna make it move

Always gonna be an uphill battle. Sometimes we're gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast we get there. Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb.

Also, players read Gopher Hole, so they are being cautioned, too, to take teams like Northwestern, Illinois and Indiana seriously. The BG game was absolutely awful - almost unwatchable. The coaches blew it by making no changes to do what Michigan, for example, did to the Gophers in the fourth quarter, '03.
Think you are giving us way too much credit. While I'm sure some players/coaches look at Gopherhole (keep up the great work guys), if they need us to help them stay focused they are in a lot of trouble already.

Plus, they already got all the reminders they will ever need about not overlooking anyone from that Bowling Green game. That was the ultimate reminder that anything can happen on any given Saturday in college football.

I too get tired of all reminders of one game at time

It's ok for us to speculate, we need team to focus. We can do whatever the f we want

and most of us are lifelong mN fans, so we're well aware of what normally happens

giphy.gif

and most of us are lifelong mN fans, so we're well aware of what normally happens

giphy.gif
That's because you're not focused solely on the Northwestern Championship Season.

The tough reality in the B1G West right now (and in most years) is that if Minnesota doesn't beat Wisconsin _and_ Iowa, then they probably aren't going to the championship game. Minnesota hasn't won both of those games in the same year since 1990 (which, btw, was Barry Alvarez's first year at Wisconsin).

Think it's okay if people want to keep their guard up.
So do so...but why rain on other people's parade whilst doing so? If you don't want to think about it don't but you don't but others don't feel that way.

Also, players read Gopher Hole, so they are being cautioned, too, to take teams like Northwestern, Illinois and Indiana seriously. The BG game was absolutely awful - almost unwatchable. The coaches blew it by making no changes to do what Michigan, for example, did to the Gophers in the fourth quarter, '03.
So it is your opinion that if Tanner Morgan hopped on here and saw that random people he never met think it is possible the Gophers might win the West he is going to get a big head and tank the season?

Interesting. Hey, do you want to buy a bridge I own on Hennepin Avenue?

slightly different take:

sure, fans can look ahead, and it's not going to (I think.....) jinx the season.
But, my issue/disclaimer is that each game is a unique entity because of the match-ups involved.

The fans that get me are the ones who go "we beat Nebraska, so we should beat Northwestern" and so forth. the thing is - the match-ups against Nebraska are different than the match-ups against Northwestern. each team has its own unique strengths and weaknesses. if the Gophers beat Team A, that does not improve their odds of beating Team B. Team B may be a more difficult match-up.

and on Bowling Green - the fact that the Gophers lost to an inferior team is a concern. If it happened once, it can happen again. Hopefully, the team does not lose focus that badly for any remaining opponents, but I think it is a mistake to dismiss BG as a fluke. "those who do not recall the past are doomed to repeat it..."

slightly different take:

sure, fans can look ahead, and it's not going to (I think.....) jinx the season.
But, my issue/disclaimer is that each game is a unique entity because of the match-ups involved.

The fans that get me are the ones who go "we beat Nebraska, so we should beat Northwestern" and so forth. the thing is - the match-ups against Nebraska are different than the match-ups against Northwestern. each team has its own unique strengths and weaknesses. if the Gophers beat Team A, that does not improve their odds of beating Team B. Team B may be a more difficult match-up.

and on Bowling Green - the fact that the Gophers lost to an inferior team is a concern. If it happened once, it can happen again. Hopefully, the team does not lose focus that badly for any remaining opponents, but I think it is a mistake to dismiss BG as a fluke. "those who do not recall the past are doomed to repeat it..."
You're right that every matchup is different but I can say "Gophers beat Purdue, Nebraska and Maryland, they should also beat Northwestern" not BECAUSE they beat those teams but because Northwestern sucks. I've seen them play. They suck. The Gophers are better than them.

You're right that every matchup is different but I can say "Gophers beat Purdue, Nebraska and Maryland, they should also beat Northwestern" not BECAUSE they beat those teams but because Northwestern sucks. I've seen them play. They suck. The Gophers are better than them.
Yeah, it makes some fans uncomfortable but we should beat Northwestern, Illinois and Indiana if we play well because we are the better team in all 3 cases. Doesn't guarantee a win but all things being equal, if we play to our capabilities we win those games.

Never, ever, ever look past your next opponent. Simple.
Yup. However after 43 years of die hard fandom, I still wring my hands and start scheming the what could be. I have always told myself it will happen when we least expect it. This time I will try very hard just to take it one week at a time. I said, before we started, that Indiana would be a crucial game. Changing a bit to it being really important.

I'm sweating the tough conversations I'm going to have at breakfast tomorrow

Who is your next opponent? What position do you play?

I am not on the team so I have no opponents.
You don’t get psyched up for postgame fisticuffs with opposing fans? There’s opponents at every game, sounds like you’re just not looking hard enough!

You don’t get psyched up for postgame fisticuffs with opposing fans? There’s opponents at every game, sounds like you’re just not looking hard enough!
That is a great point! What kind of fan am I?

There's always gonna be another mountain. We're always gonna wanna make it move

Always gonna be an uphill battle. Sometimes we're gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast we get there. Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb.
Gee thanks! Now I have to try to get that crappy song out of my head for the next few hours!!

.....WE GET IT!

In any thread discussing the West race or the remainder of the season there are always a bunch of posters who feel compelled to remind us all to take it one game at a time and only focus on the upcoming opponent. As if our level of focus as fans is going to somehow have some impact on what takes place on the football field.

Look, the majority of us have been around Minnesota sports long enough to know that it is dangerous to look ahead or think about what might happen. Because more often than not, Lucy pulls the football away at the last second and we end up on our backs.

But there is no harm in thinking about what could happen, and playing out the various scenarios for how it might all unfold. It goes without saying that if the team blows it on the field then all the speculation will be for naught, but that doesn't mean that we as fans shouldn't do it. It is ok to dream big and hope for the best, I know that is hard for a lot of Minnesotans to do, but it is ok....really......it is.

Right now the Gophers control their own destiny and the schedule lays out great. We are in conference play so on any given Saturday, anything can happen (Illinois just beat Penn State in 9 overtimes), but if the team plays up to their capabilities we have a great shot of winning all the games left on our schedule. That is really all we can ask for with 5 games left, so as fans, enjoy the ride, maybe it ends in disappointment but that doesn't mean it isn't a ride worth taking.

And while I am on my soap box, can we change the narrative on the Bowling Green game for once and for all? Let's stop viewing that as the reason the team is going to fail and start viewing it as the wakeup call the team needed to drive the success they are going to have.

There are a number of fans not really thrilled with the current season in large part due to that one game. But take that game out of the equation....we played OSU tough, we dominated a MAC team in the first half before struggling some in the second half but getting the win, we blew out a Power 5 team on the road, and now we have a road win over Purdue and home Wins over Nebraska and Maryland in the last 3 weeks. This would be a dream season for a lot of Gopher fans to this point, but because of the BG game, many are down on things and not truly enjoying the journey.

Alright, I'm done with the rant. Just felt the need to toss it out there. Go Gophers....
Hey now! Let's take it one game at a time, okay?!

After all, we are the Nostradamus of Gopher Football.

NOT.

Yup. However after 43 years of die hard fandom, I still wring my hands and start scheming the what could be. I have always told myself it will happen when we least expect it. This time I will try very hard just to take it one week at a time. I said, before we started, that Indiana would be a crucial game. Changing a bit to it being really important.
This is Gopher fever! PJ Fleck may have found a cure for it. Big Ten Champ!

Have no fear, dear friends. PJ Fleck is here to dare to dream the impossible dream. Luther Vandross was such a treasure who was taken away from us too soon.

Fans are going to speculate... Rabid fans, the types we have in here, are gonna hypothesize the heck out of the coming games. It's inevitable, due to the excitement.

Let Fleck and the boys take care of the one game at a time stuff. For them, it's the 2021 Northwestern season and we're 0-0

I agree with the OP and I had been thinking the same thing. I always roll my eyes when people posting on GH feel they need to remind everyone that it is best to only focus on the next game.

That’s certainly true for players and coaches… but not fans and definitely not fans speculating on a college football message board. I’d rather read speculation on who the Pac12 might offer up to the Gophers in this season’s Rose Bowl than be reminded it is best to take this one game at a time.

If we as fans need some form of reminding we should only think about Northwestern and one game at a time, should we also be lifting weights and observing curfews?
Curfews for sure.

.....WE GET IT!

In any thread discussing the West race or the remainder of the season there are always a bunch of posters who feel compelled to remind us all to take it one game at a time and only focus on the upcoming opponent. As if our level of focus as fans is going to somehow have some impact on what takes place on the football field.

Look, the majority of us have been around Minnesota sports long enough to know that it is dangerous to look ahead or think about what might happen. Because more often than not, Lucy pulls the football away at the last second and we end up on our backs.

But there is no harm in thinking about what could happen, and playing out the various scenarios for how it might all unfold. It goes without saying that if the team blows it on the field then all the speculation will be for naught, but that doesn't mean that we as fans shouldn't do it. It is ok to dream big and hope for the best, I know that is hard for a lot of Minnesotans to do, but it is ok....really......it is.

Right now the Gophers control their own destiny and the schedule lays out great. We are in conference play so on any given Saturday, anything can happen (Illinois just beat Penn State in 9 overtimes), but if the team plays up to their capabilities we have a great shot of winning all the games left on our schedule. That is really all we can ask for with 5 games left, so as fans, enjoy the ride, maybe it ends in disappointment but that doesn't mean it isn't a ride worth taking.

And while I am on my soap box, can we change the narrative on the Bowling Green game for once and for all? Let's stop viewing that as the reason the team is going to fail and start viewing it as the wakeup call the team needed to drive the success they are going to have.

There are a number of fans not really thrilled with the current season in large part due to that one game. But take that game out of the equation....we played OSU tough, we dominated a MAC team in the first half before struggling some in the second half but getting the win, we blew out a Power 5 team on the road, and now we have a road win over Purdue and home Wins over Nebraska and Maryland in the last 3 weeks. This would be a dream season for a lot of Gopher fans to this point, but because of the BG game, many are down on things and not truly enjoying the journey.

Alright, I'm done with the rant. Just felt the need to toss it out there. Go Gophers....
wow...you need more to keep you busy.

Top Bottom