A Message for the "One Game at a Time" Posters....

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
.....WE GET IT!

In any thread discussing the West race or the remainder of the season there are always a bunch of posters who feel compelled to remind us all to take it one game at a time and only focus on the upcoming opponent. As if our level of focus as fans is going to somehow have some impact on what takes place on the football field.

Look, the majority of us have been around Minnesota sports long enough to know that it is dangerous to look ahead or think about what might happen. Because more often than not, Lucy pulls the football away at the last second and we end up on our backs.

But there is no harm in thinking about what could happen, and playing out the various scenarios for how it might all unfold. It goes without saying that if the team blows it on the field then all the speculation will be for naught, but that doesn't mean that we as fans shouldn't do it. It is ok to dream big and hope for the best, I know that is hard for a lot of Minnesotans to do, but it is ok....really......it is.

Right now the Gophers control their own destiny and the schedule lays out great. We are in conference play so on any given Saturday, anything can happen (Illinois just beat Penn State in 9 overtimes), but if the team plays up to their capabilities we have a great shot of winning all the games left on our schedule. That is really all we can ask for with 5 games left, so as fans, enjoy the ride, maybe it ends in disappointment but that doesn't mean it isn't a ride worth taking.

And while I am on my soap box, can we change the narrative on the Bowling Green game for once and for all? Let's stop viewing that as the reason the team is going to fail and start viewing it as the wakeup call the team needed to drive the success they are going to have.

There are a number of fans not really thrilled with the current season in large part due to that one game. But take that game out of the equation....we played OSU tough, we dominated a MAC team in the first half before struggling some in the second half but getting the win, we blew out a Power 5 team on the road, and now we have a road win over Purdue and home Wins over Nebraska and Maryland in the last 3 weeks. This would be a dream season for a lot of Gopher fans to this point, but because of the BG game, many are down on things and not truly enjoying the journey.

Alright, I'm done with the rant. Just felt the need to toss it out there. Go Gophers....

.....WE GET IT!

In any thread discussing the West race or the remainder of the season there are always a bunch of posters who feel compelled to remind us all to take it one game at a time and only focus on the upcoming opponent. As if our level of focus as fans is going to somehow have some impact on what takes place on the football field.

Look, the majority of us have been around Minnesota sports long enough to know that it is dangerous to look ahead or think about what might happen. Because more often than not, Lucy pulls the football away at the last second and we end up on our backs.

But there is no harm in thinking about what could happen, and playing out the various scenarios for how it might all unfold. It goes without saying that if the team blows it on the field then all the speculation will be for naught, but that doesn't mean that we as fans shouldn't do it. It is ok to dream big and hope for the best, I know that is hard for a lot of Minnesotans to do, but it is ok....really......it is.

Right now the Gophers control their own destiny and the schedule lays out great. We are in conference play so on any given Saturday, anything can happen (Illinois just beat Penn State in 9 overtimes), but if the team plays up to their capabilities we have a great shot of winning all the games left on our schedule. That is really all we can ask for with 5 games left, so as fans, enjoy the ride, maybe it ends in disappointment but that doesn't mean it isn't a ride worth taking.

And while I am on my soap box, can we change the narrative on the Bowling Green game for once and for all? Let's stop viewing that as the reason the team is going to fail and start viewing it as the wakeup call the team needed to drive the success they are going to have.

There are a number of fans not really thrilled with the current season in large part due to that one game. But take that game out of the equation....we played OSU tough, we dominated a MAC team in the first half before struggling some in the second half but getting the win, we blew out a Power 5 team on the road, and now we have a road win over Purdue and home Wins over Nebraska and Maryland in the last 3 weeks. This would be a dream season for a lot of Gopher fans to this point, but because of the BG game, many are down on things and not truly enjoying the journey.

Alright, I'm done with the rant. Just felt the need to toss it out there. Go Gophers....
You feel better, getting that off your chest?

Tl;dr

honestly we need to just take it one game at a time. You should stop thinking about what could be. The team needs us fans to stay focused on the northwestern championship season

BG was a kick in the junk. Other than that it has been a lot of fun this season. As a fan that is what I want. Beat NU this weekend and I will be excited to go watch them spank the Illini at home. 7-2 would be great. From there, the team would be in position to win the west and go to Indy. Something we have never done. This is fun stuff! RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers!

I look ahead and know the schedule by heart. I have to know what is ahead for scheduling TV and attending the games. Gotta prep for potential clinching road trip to Indiana, etc. etc. I agree with the assessment of the Bowling Green game. Every time I talk Gophers the other person always bring up Bowling Green and anything negative. I like to enjoy the season and dream big.

I agree with the OP. Have you ever bought a lottery ticket when the grand prize amount gets ridiculously high? I have (and only then). And then I sit around with my friends and family and we talk about what would happen if we won. Does that mean we think we are going to win? Absolutely not. Should we wait until we win to discuss what we would do? It’s fun to play the “what if“ game. It can be fun here as well, if you let it be.

I understand the concept but PJ's contract is not week to week. Does he go into AD's office each week and negotiate an extension?

We all dream of running the table, winning the West, going to a Big Time Bowl but the part you seem to miss is that it becomes harder unless you win the games everybody expects you too.
There are countless times in history where everybody says, Gosh we coulda won the championship, gone to this or that bowl but I can't believe we lost to a really lousy _________ team.
It's caution, not pessimism.

.....WE GET IT!

You must feel better now with this off your chest? I am happy for you! 🤗
Okay, let's go one game at a time. I feel much better this way. :horse:

I’d assume many of the posters who have been on here for 5-10 years are current gopher athletes and coaches who joined gopher hole before they ever played for, worked at and likely knew of this program. So no, we cannot look ahead!

Never, ever, ever look past your next opponent. Simple.

I think it comes from a superstition of not getting too excited for games a few weeks away when there is a matchup coming up soon that shouldn't be taken for granted. I always think about that 2014 Illinois game.

I remember the hype for the last four games of the season after the 6-1 start, with Illinois seeming like an easy get, and then stumbling there. Fortunately the Iowa blowout followed, but that game still took the wind out of some sails and it brings you back down to earth.

I also think this is more unique to college football, since there are only 12 games in the regular season. Every game matters so much. If in hockey or basketball, the Gophers seem to be on a good run, and then drop a game, there's still that optimism for a quick rebound with a nice string of wins and plenty of opportunities.

The tighter window of college football makes each week seem so integral, so the next game up always feels like the most important one and the match-ups down the road get a "ask me when we get there" vibe.

So you’re saying don’t over look NW annnnnd let’s focus on one game at a time and not get ahead of ourselves? 🤔

The tough reality in the B1G West right now (and in most years) is that if Minnesota doesn't beat Wisconsin _and_ Iowa, then they probably aren't going to the championship game. Minnesota hasn't won both of those games in the same year since 1990 (which, btw, was Barry Alvarez's first year at Wisconsin).

Think it's okay if people want to keep their guard up.

.....WE GET IT!

Are you saying they are making the playoff?

Tl;dr

honestly we need to just take it one game at a time. You should stop thinking about what could be. The team needs us fans to stay focused on the northwestern championship season
Also, players read Gopher Hole, so they are being cautioned, too, to take teams like Northwestern, Illinois and Indiana seriously. The BG game was absolutely awful - almost unwatchable. The coaches blew it by making no changes to do what Michigan, for example, did to the Gophers in the fourth quarter, '03.

I agree with the OP and I had been thinking the same thing. I always roll my eyes when people posting on GH feel they need to remind everyone that it is best to only focus on the next game.

That’s certainly true for players and coaches… but not fans and definitely not fans speculating on a college football message board. I’d rather read speculation on who the Pac12 might offer up to the Gophers in this season’s Rose Bowl than be reminded it is best to take this one game at a time.

If we as fans need some form of reminding we should only think about Northwestern and one game at a time, should we also be lifting weights and observing curfews?

Honestly we shouldn’t even look ahead to the game. I’m only thinking about today’s practice
I’m thinking about our next ten consecutive undefeated seasons! And our eventual passing of Alabama in the National Championships won list.

I can only speak for myself, but I will not make the mistake of looking past a single game. And that game, is the B1G championship game, wake me up before kickoff!!

J6TlHZS.jpg

Top Bottom