A Look Back in Recent History

Sumtimegophs

Reaction score
Mark Richt is on a warming seat at Georgia. In a recent mailbag from Stewart Mandel he cited firing a coach mid-season follows the "Auburn/Clemson Syndrome". He cites an old mailbag question he answered back in 2007.

Minnesota (1-7) is considerably worse than recent previous seasons. Now that they've lost to a I-AA team, do you think they're regretting firing Glenn Mason, who did not do all that bad considering what he had to work with and around?
--Frank, Columbus, Ohio

Ah, yes. It's appears "Ole Miss/Clemson Syndrome" has reared its ugly head once again.

For those unaware of this often debilitating condition (once known as "Auburn/Clemson Syndrome, but renamed once Auburn decided it liked Tommy Tuberville after all), it's described on page 105 of a recently released college football book as "the phenomenon by which fans of historically second-tier programs delude themselves into thinking that one isolated period of greatness -- Clemson's 1981 national title season -- is more representative of their team's rightful place in the sport's hierarchy than its other hundred or so years of football." Ole Miss took over Auburn's naming rights in 2004 when the Rebels ran off their most successful coach in 30 years, David Cutcliffe. His replacement, Ed Orgeron, is one heck of a recruiter, but he's also gone 8-22 in his three seasons to date. I'm guessing many of the same Rebels fans that got sick of attending the Independence Bowl would gladly take a trip to Shreveport next year.

With the Gophers, it's not that their era of greatness was isolated -- Minnesota has in fact won six national championships -- it's that it ended nearly 50 years ago. Watching how badly the Gophers are floundering now makes me appreciate even more just how remarkable it was that Mason took that program to seven bowl games in eight years. I don't blame Minnesota fans for tiring of him. He's a grating person to begin with, nevertheless one whose program was stuck in neutral those last few years and who never ceased to find ways to lose games in the most gut-wrenching fashion imaginable. But it's one of those "be careful what you wish for" situations. It's way too early to form any kind of opinion about Tim Brewster, but no matter the coach, the odds of the Gophers reassuming a regular spot at or near the Big Ten basement are far greater than those of reaching the Rose Bowl anytime soon.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/10/24/mailbag/3.html

Can't say I disagree with Sid on this issue of Brewster's longevity.

Top Bottom