A little boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWCWCW

Reaction score
Am I alone on this? I went to the spring game today. I thought it was a yawner. I've been to over 10 spring games. I guess none of them have been real telling, and I come back most years, so it's my own fault.
I think most of the runs today were by backs that may rarely see the field. Not a lot of big plays. A field goal. An awkward ending too. I know that Kill is finding depth on the squad, but it didn't make for an interesting game. I wish I could have made a practice as I think that may have been more interesting.
I recall one game at St. Thomas that had some excitement. Another game at the practice facility generated some excitement too. Maybe it's because it had a cozy feeling as the fans were lined three or four deep. Today, one could pick their spot.
Oh well. We are now in the real dog days of college football.

Football is never boring. Yeah sure they ran 4 plays the whole 'game', but seeing our guys in action in a game-like setting is still awesome, IMO.

i got text messages from three people today who all went to the spring game, none of these three went together. all said they were bored, two said they probably won't go to it next year.

I wish I could have made the game. I've heard it was kind of boring, but i'll take vanilla gopher football over just about any sporting event.

I like the way PSU ran their spring game with O vs D. More first team vs first team battles with defense getting points for sacks, interceptions, etc. Maybe by year 3 or 4 we will have the depth to really go at it in the spring game and display more of what's available.

I would hope that those who were bored and won't go again would also give up their season tickets. That way they can move on more quickly. What an incredible thread.

I would hope that those who were bored and won't go again would also give up their season tickets. That way they can move on more quickly. What an incredible thread.

Agreed. The instant gratification, immediate excitement people need that motivation to jump up and down, scream, yell, holler, shout, and cream their jeans in an instant. Otherwise, it is "A little boring".

Yeah. It was boring. That is a fact. But what do you expect? It was cold, windy, and in the end raining. They held out a ton of starters and Q barely played.

Id rather hold out the injured and then barely play our studs in a meaningless spring "game" with weather that is prime for causing injuries, than to see an exciting game that ends with us down a guy or two.

All I took away is that we are way bigger and a good amount faster than where we were at this point last yr. Our D showed promise, those who hate on Shortell are idiotic, and I think Isaac Fruechte (sp?) could be a player for us this year.

You hope that potential season tickets or current season ticket holders no longer become season ticket holders or never become season ticket holders because they weren't over-stimulated by yesterday's scrimmage? What an incredible post. Not everyone needs to have enjoyed yesterday's scrimmage to be a "good fan" or to support the team. In fact, if they went, that's apparently more than 42,000 other season ticket holders yesterday. Not to mention, in case you didn't attend any of the home games last year, we really aren't the type of program that can brush off fans who actually attempted to attend a spring game. It's not as if we even sell out games against our biggest rivals any more in a small and new stadium. Sheesh.

You hope that potential season tickets or current season ticket holders no longer become season ticket holders or never become season ticket holders because they weren't over-stimulated by yesterday's scrimmage? What an incredible post. Not everyone needs to have enjoyed yesterday's scrimmage to be a "good fan" or to support the team. In fact, if they went, that's apparently more than 42,000 other season ticket holders yesterday. Not to mention, in case you didn't attend any of the home games last year, we really aren't the type of program that can brush off fans who actually attempted to attend a spring game. It's not as if we even sell out games against our biggest rivals any more in a small and new stadium. Sheesh.

Well put. highwayman's post was pretty ridiculous.

You've said stuff like this before. Absolutely absurd. In case you haven't noticed, there is no waiting list for Gopher football tickets. 3.5k showed up to the game yesterday in bad weather. And you are insinuating a few of these are bandwagon fans??

We need all the supporters we can get, especially those who are diehard enough to go to the spring game and post on a gopher football message board..

So since I didn't get a chance to go to spring game do I need to give up my season tix too?

I like the way PSU ran their spring game with O vs D. More first team vs first team battles with defense getting points for sacks, interceptions, etc. Maybe by year 3 or 4 we will have the depth to really go at it in the spring game and display more of what's available.

If I remember right, Brew tried that out and IMO it was a complete disappointment. The scoring system for the defense was unreliable so it lost all "game" like feeling.

So since I didn't get a chance to go to spring game do I need to give up my season tix too?

Who said that?

You've said stuff like this before. Absolutely absurd. In case you haven't noticed, there is no waiting list for Gopher football tickets. 3.5k showed up to the game yesterday in bad weather. And you are insinuating a few of these are bandwagon fans??

We need all the supporters we can get, especially those who are diehard enough to go to the spring game and post on a gopher football message board..

Sounds like there were bandwagoners if they said it was too boring and that they'll not go next year. That's kind of the definition of a bandwagoner. I'm not saying those people shouldn't get season tickets but they certainly aren't great fans, either.

please just stop it everyone. this ENTIRE thread (BOTH sides of this lame argument) is just unnecessary and stupid. please just shut it EVERYONE. some of the pathetic arguments that break out here at time are just unreal and pointless. why are we, as mutual U of M fans, taking shots are each other? from both sides of the aisle? :rolleyes:

if you made it to the spring game....thank you. we were there and had a good time. and we will be there next year and the year after that and the year after that. if you didn't nake it, or did and may have felt you were bored for some reason....please consider coming back again next spring. the university and the football program are alway in need and appreciative of your family's support.

this was the first time that kill has had them play a regular scrimmage for the spring game. i am quite certain the approach and some folk's perception of the "excitement" level will only improve from year to year.

Boring.....

....can be good. Since we haven't had any good defensive teams for many years maybe we just don't appreciate a low scoring game. I have watched way too many games in the past where Minnesota's defense collapsed in the fourth quarter. Those games may not have been boring but I would have preferred that they had been. Personally I am hoping that our new and improved d-backs continue to bore us this fall.

....can be good. Since we haven't had any good defensive teams for many years maybe we just don't appreciate a low scoring game. I have watched way too many games in the past where Minnesota's defense collapsed in the fourth quarter. Those games may not have been boring but I would have preferred that they had been. Personally I am hoping that our new and improved d-backs continue to bore us this fall.

I agree. Periodically I run into fans from other B1G schools, and they always like to talk football. I start by explaining how few B1G players the State of Minnesota produces, which surprises them, then I explain we often have only enough athletes for one side of the ball. I assumed Gray and our prize OL would try to control the ball this season to keep our defense off the field. Hopefully they will be better than that.

The Spring game is a practice game. You are never going to get the feeling of a opening day football game at practice.

Who said that?

Sounds like there were bandwagoners if they said it was too boring and that they'll not go next year. That's kind of the definition of a bandwagoner. I'm not saying those people shouldn't get season tickets but they certainly aren't great fans, either.

highwayman said it.

And do you honestly believe that the people that were bored enough on Saturday to not want to come back for future spring games are bad fans? What about the thousands of fans that didn't even attend? All I care about is who attends the 7 home games every year, those are the real fans. The 'real fans' are certainly not the rubes who police message boards all day and criticize people who weren't stimulated by sitting in the rain with temps in the 40's watching a glorified practice.

Sweet. Another "true fan" discussion. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom