A little birdie says.......

leftyslefty

Reaction score
Joey King of Eastview may have or soon will commit to Drake.

It's probably best for him because he'll play right away, but I wanted to see him in maroon and gold. He does alot of things well.

No way he would've cut it in the B10. Hopefully he'll be a good mid major player though

No way he would've cut it in the B10. Hopefully he'll be a good mid major player though

Please. Very little difference betweent Oto and King except for a two year age difference. King could have gone high major and contributed but instead will go down to the MVC and have a great 4 year career.

The ONLY reason King is going to Drake and not higher is he made a HORRIBLE decision during his AAU career and played for Southside. Their coach should have done the right thing for that kid and let him leave instead he tried to "package" his own kid with King to the top AAU programs this year.

It will be interesting to see the 2012 kids with their final decisions. I would be very surprised to see any commit.

Regardles, good luck to King. Drake is very active right now recruiting in Mn. Which further illustrates the weakness with Mn having only 1 D1 program. But that's for another day.

Joey King..

has the potential (and would have in my view) contributed as much as Nolen and Hoffarber did, and they were not high ranked recruits.

I would agree that he is a similar player to Oto though,so I guess I see the Gophs point in not being overly excited about offering, but he is going to be a very good college player IMHO.

has the potential (and would have in my view) contributed as much as Nolen and Hoffarber did, and they were not high ranked recruits.

I would agree that he is a similar player to Oto though,so I guess I see the Gophs point in not being overly excited about offering, but he is going to be a very good college player IMHO.

Might be a stretch.

Oto is 10-20 times the shooter king is, Oto is 2-3 inches taller, Oto is indeffinately stronger, Oto has 10 times better ballhandling skills, Oto is also more athletic. King is probably 6'6" or 6'7", and doesn't have a position in the B10. Rodney has better post skills than king.

Ancient proverb says....

Oto is 10-20 times the shooter king is, Oto is 2-3 inches taller, Oto is indeffinately stronger, Oto has 10 times better ballhandling skills, Oto is also more athletic. King is probably 6'6" or 6'7", and doesn't have a position in the B10. Rodney has better post skills than king.

"Better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth, and remove all doubt."

Laughing at this post. Reminds me of analysis I get from my 12 year old nephew. I know you like the gophers......I've seen both of these players outside of the HP summer league and there isn't a big difference at all especially in shooting ability or athleticism.

I don't disagree at all with your comments about King's place in the Big10 but it's no different than Oto's place. I don't think King would have had much of a career at the U but I don't think Oto will either.

People overvalue some of these hometown players. King is in no way a B10 player. I'm not saying I hope he fails, I hope he has a good career, but you call me a fool? King contribute as much as hoffarber and nolen? Thats twice the "blasphemous" statement I made. Duthasmon, if king was such a great player, why did he commit so early to drake of all teams, when he has a whole summer to garner offers? Get off me.

People overvalue some of these hometown players. King is in no way a B10 player. I'm not saying I hope he fails, I hope he has a good career, but you call me a fool? King contribute as much as hoffarber and nolen? Thats twice the "blasphemous" statement I made. Duthasmon, if king was such a great player, why did he commit so early to drake of all teams, when he has a whole summer to garner offers? Get off me.

Ummm......read my posts sport. I never said King was a great player. I said he was no different than Oto. You my Hyperbole Induced poster need to understand how much AAU programs play in players ability to get noticed. Had he played from Pulley or Pump he would have garnered much more interest.

I have no idea why he chose Drake. I will put out a supposition however. King chose to play with Southside instead of the best programs because he could be the "show". I'm guessing that played in his decision to attend Drake. Maybe King is a huge Milton fan, I don't really care. But if you actually think Oto is much different than King....well I guess there is no arguing with a complete homer.

I won't try.

Maybe he hasn't or wouldn't have for sure received better offers?

What are you predictions for Oto in terms of numbers? And why exactly do you think he won't really contribute?

Ummm......read my posts sport. I never said King was a great player. I said he was no different than Oto. You my Hyperbole Induced poster need to understand how much AAU programs play in players ability to get noticed. Had he played from Pulley or Pump he would have garnered much more interest.

I have no idea why he chose Drake. I will put out a supposition however. King chose to play with Southside instead of the best programs because he could be the "show". I'm guessing that played in his decision to attend Drake. Maybe King is a huge Milton fan, I don't really care. But if you actually think Oto is much different than King....well I guess there is no arguing with a complete homer.

I won't try.

I have no insight in King's recruitment other than to see what's been written elsewhere or tweeted etc. I saw Oto two summer's ago and then this past summer. I just don't see a huge difference in skill sets at the same point of their career.

King can shoot it and so can Oto but I'm guessing most people have seen Oto in HPSL and that is their only reference point. King can post up much better than Oto and is a better scorer at the same point in their career.

I think Oto will run into much of the same issues King would have in terms of where to play him. I don't see the Gophers playing nearly as much zone as the past so he'll have to guard the 3/4 and that'll be a challenge. He's 6'8" tops and not particularly long. Couple that with the European style he grew up playing, I'm not sensing he's going to be a warrior underneath.

Finally a voice of reason....

I have no insight in King's recruitment other than to see what's been written elsewhere or tweeted etc. I saw Oto two summer's ago and then this past summer. I just don't see a huge difference in skill sets at the same point of their career.

King can shoot it and so can Oto but I'm guessing most people have seen Oto in HPSL and that is their only reference point. King can post up much better than Oto and is a better scorer at the same point in their career.

I think Oto will run into much of the same issues King would have in terms of where to play him. I don't see the Gophers playing nearly as much zone as the past so he'll have to guard the 3/4 and that'll be a challenge. He's 6'8" tops and not particularly long. Couple that with the European style he grew up playing, I'm not sensing he's going to be a warrior underneath.

Also, Oto turned 21 in March, and I'm not arguing that a 21 freshman is not a good thing. But I don't think Joey is 18 yet, and has plenty of opportunity to reach the lofty skill level of "Oto."

As for my original statement that King could have contributed what Nolen and Hoffarber did, I stand by it. Both those players developed "roles," because they got an opportunity to play early in their college careers. They were decent Big Ten players....not stars. Nolen could not shoot, and we saw what happened when they tried to make Hoff the "go to," guy. Joey would have been a role player in the Big Ten, (like Oto) he will get to play from the start at Drake.

I wouldn't compare King to Oto. Not a good comparison. Oto actually is more of a 3 then 4. I would compare him to Bjorklund or Noreen who were both freshman last year. Bjoklund, a true 4 had a decent freshman year at NDSU. Noreen and King have similiar skill sets but Noreen is 3-4 inches taller. The jury is still out on if he'll contribute at West Virginia due to him being injured (along with others opinion of his game). So compared to those two I think Drake is a great choice and maybe that AAU parent/coach just may have given some good advice.

King is not a Big 10 player. Very good, probably found the right fit for him, but not a Big 10 player. Lacks the strength to play down low, shoots it well but not well enough to play strictly on the perimeter.

Neither Nolen nor Hoffarber were BT stars, but they certainly weren't just role players for us. Unfortunately Nolen didn't get to contribute as much as he could've due to missing so many games. He and Hoffarber were both playing like All BT players before Nolen got hurt. Hoffarber wasn't some low recruit coming out of high school, by the way.

Also, Oto turned 21 in March, and I'm not arguing that a 21 freshman is not a good thing. But I don't think Joey is 18 yet, and has plenty of opportunity to reach the lofty skill level of "Oto."

As for my original statement that King could have contributed what Nolen and Hoffarber did, I stand by it. Both those players developed "roles," because they got an opportunity to play early in their college careers. They were decent Big Ten players....not stars. Nolen could not shoot, and we saw what happened when they tried to make Hoff the "go to," guy. Joey would have been a role player in the Big Ten, (like Oto) he will get to play from the start at Drake.

I wouldn't compare King to Oto. Not a good comparison. Oto actually is more of a 3 then 4. I would compare him to Bjorklund or Noreen who were both freshman last year. Bjoklund, a true 4 had a decent freshman year at NDSU. Noreen and King have similiar skill sets but Noreen is 3-4 inches taller. The jury is still out on if he'll contribute at West Virginia due to him being injured (along with others opinion of his game). So compared to those two I think Drake is a great choice and maybe that AAU parent/coach just may have given some good advice.

I agree Oto will play more 3 than 4 this season. But, I think that is because Mbakwe is a lock at the 4 spot for now. We could use improvement at small forward.

Really? I have a hard time believing that you have seen, read, tweeted, read tweets, or have the expertise to "scout" either of these players, much less camping out at Pulley. I have a much higher degree of belief that I can identify a board-turd than you have at identifying a legitimate B10 player.

Really? I have a hard time believing that you have seen, read, tweeted, read tweets, or have the expertise to "scout" either of these players, much less camping out at Pulley. I have a much higher degree of belief that I can identify a board-turd than you have at identifying a legitimate B10 player.

I have no doubt in your ability to identify a board-turd. I suspect your daily looks into the mirror make you an expert on the topic.

you call 14 ppg a role player?

I'd say Blake was a role player. There's nothing wrong with being a role player, if you've got a team of five or six players that can play their role well, you've got a contender.

In my definition, a role player is someone who does one thing really well, and isn't expected to be a go-to guy in another situation. Blake was a great spot-up shooter, one of the best ever in Maroon and Gold. But he wasn't a rebounding machine, a reliable ball handler, or a shut-down defender.

But if you're asking me whether i'd want Blake or Joey King on my team, I'd take Blake any day of the week.

I have no doubt in your ability to identify a board-turd. I suspect your daily looks into the mirror make you an expert on the topic.

ZING! Wow...that one stung. You must have been up all night coming up with that one.

I define role player also as someone who fits their role on the team. Blake's role was star player. leading scorer, leading assist man, leader in general. BH, TM are the star's, everyone else had a role.

Top Bottom