A.J. Barker chooses to walk on at Minn over walk-on opp at UW

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from Monter:

A.J. Barker, a 6-foot-1, 180-pound wide receiver from Minneapolis (MN) DeLaSalle, will walk-on at Minnesota. Barker helped lead the Islanders to consecutive Class AAA runner-up spots, losing to Glencoe Silver Lake in the Prep Bowl both years. Barker was named first team All-State by the St. Paul Pioneer Press and was second team by the Associated Press.

A.J. Barker became Minnesota's all-time leader in receiving yards this year, breaking the record of 3,362 set by Blooming Prairie's Elliott Hrdina in 2007. He also set the career mark in receiving touchdowns.

Barker played the first two years of high school at St. Paul Academy/Mounds Park Academy before transferring to DeLaSalle for the 2007 season. Barker has caught 12 touchdown passes and had 795 yards as a senior.

Barker also played defensive back, punter and kicker.

Barker had considered walking-on at Wisconsin and had interest from Air Force.

Barker also shined in the Islanders' basketball team as he led the team to a 17-9 mark as he averaged 15.7 points per game.

Barker will report for team's physicals tomorrow and will start summer school Monday.

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/871054.html

Go Gophers!!

congrats for getting a walkon from home town Minny.

:rolleyes:

perhaps you should focus more of your time on keeping your hometown (madison) boy vander blue at UW and not walking out on his verbal commitment. rather than concerning yourself with what is happening in minneapolis. ;)

I hate to admit it but I actually agree with the Troll on this. What is the point of writing that he chose a Minnesota walk-on offer over a Wisconsin walk-on offer? If I were writing the post I would have written that the all-time leading receiver in Minnesota High School has accepted an offer to walk-on at Minnesota.

Beating out Wisconsin for a recruit (walk-on or scholarship) isn't necessarily the biggest thing in the world. I'd rather be competing and winning for recruits against the Michgan's and Ohio State's of the conference. Beating Florida for Hayo Carpenter, beating OSU for Ra'Shede Hageman, and beating LSU for Kirksey are the type battles we should be happy about.

Beating out Wisconsin for a recruit (walk-on or scholarship) isn't necessarily the biggest thing in the world.

It probably depends on how much you value closing down the borders. Every battle could be important if that is in your interests.

It probably depends on how much you value closing down the borders. Every battle could be important if that is in your interests.

I probably want a strong walk-on program more than most people but I don't equate walk-ons with "closing down the borders." To me the only relevant factor in closing down the borders is whether the player had a scholarship offer from Minnesota and how much the Gophers wanted him. For instance, Dehn had a Gopher offer but he was a low priority for us so it isn't a concern to me that he left although I'd rather he come to Minn that go elsewhere. On the other hand, McNeal had a Gopher offer and was a high priority and so it bothers me that he left although going to Clemson burns less than going to a Big Ten school.

I will celebrate beating ANY BCS school for ANY recruit. We went way too long celebrating recruiting wins over Toledo, and while recruiting has improved, we're not not exactly an automatic lock even for Minnesota kids. If we beat out Bucky for someone, all the better.

What did Barker do last year? He graduated in 2008.

Great athlete. I don't know if he's Big Ten great, but I saw him compete in track at DeLaSalle and he was extremely good. Great long jumper.

congrats for getting a walkon from home town Minny.

don't know if you're being facetious;););)...or not;););)...but brewster is enjoying quite a run...first, he beats brian cardinal at some silly internet voting nonsense...then, just a week or two later, he manages to wrestle delasalle's aj away from the badgers...who may not even know aj's been wrestled away????:D:D:D

brewster must be a real 'winner':rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

next thing ya' know...brewster will be flashin' some impressive win/loss collegiate record...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

don't know if you're being facetious;););)...or not;););)...but brewster is enjoying quite a run...first, he beats brian cardinal at some silly internet voting nonsense...then, just a week or two later, he manages to wrestle delasalle's aj away from the badgers...who may not even know aj's been wrestled away????:D:D:D

brewster must be a real 'winner':rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

next thing ya' know...brewster will be flashin' some impressive win/loss collegiate record...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Way to be "that guy" who all he does is make a snide comment about Brewster on everythread. Good god you are an annoying piece of shite.

Top Bottom