A group of Gophers men’s and women’s basketball boosters are seeking $25,000 per member through Dec. 31 with goal of $250K for NIL

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shooter:

— Pssst: A group of Gophers men’s and women’s basketball boosters are seeking $25,000 per member through Dec. 31 this year, with a goal of at least $250,000, to assist in a name, image and likeness (NIL) collective to promote the programs.

Another $25,000 per member will be sought toward a goal of $500,000 from Jan. 1-Dec. 31, 2024, and yet another $25,000 per member to raise at least $1 million between Jan. 1, 2025, through Dec. 31, 2027.

Go Gophers!!

A bunch of small $$ NIL collectives is not the answer...just spreads the available $$ thinner.

$250,000 might get you one good player in the open market, or maybe two decent players.

The Gophers keep bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Let me think this through: send my kid to college or send somebody else’s kid to college…
It's not you and me who are going to move the needle. It's people who don't have to worry about sending their kid to college.

I do wonder who the members are, though. Members of what? The Dunkers, I guess?

It was interesting that Coyle mentioned in the press conference today (for women's basketball hire) that they are making the NIL guy (didn't catch his name) a full-time position. He talked quite a bit about the things they're doing to partner with Dinky Town Athletes, etc. I was surprised he would talk so openly about it.

It was interesting that Coyle mentioned in the press conference today (for women's basketball hire) that they are making the NIL guy (didn't catch his name) a full-time position. He talked quite a bit about the things they're doing to partner with Dinky Town Athletes, etc. I was surprised he would talk so openly about it.
Good. He needs to. The U can't be too scared of it's own shadow to play the game because of stuff 25 years ago.

What happened to all of the Fortune 500 companies Sid used to speak of?
Sid lived in a different time and place, even when he was living in the modern world. It doesn't work like that unless a company was founded/is owned by a wealthy alum or fan. (like Phil Knight).

Sid lived in a different time and place, even when he was living in the modern world. It doesn't work like that unless a company was founded/is owned by a wealthy alum or fan. (like Phil Knight).
Right. And even then it’s Phil Knight’s personal fortune being routed to Oregon to build facilities and NIL, not Nike’s (outside of their official sponsorship deals for shoes and apparel)). Doing that as a publicly traded company isn’t gonna happen.

FYI this group is working through Dinkytown Athletes and is not a separate collective.

Right. And even then it’s Phil Knight’s personal fortune being routed to Oregon to build facilities and NIL, not Nike’s (outside of their official sponsorship deals for shoes and apparel)). Doing that as a publicly traded company isn’t gonna happen.
And Wisconsin beats them in Oregon last night in front of 3000 spectators in the NIT....$$$ doesn't fix everything.

Per Shooter:

— Pssst: A group of Gophers men’s and women’s basketball boosters are seeking $25,000 per member through Dec. 31 this year, with a goal of at least $250,000, to assist in a name, image and likeness (NIL) collective to promote the programs.

Another $25,000 per member will be sought toward a goal of $500,000 from Jan. 1-Dec. 31, 2024, and yet another $25,000 per member to raise at least $1 million between Jan. 1, 2025, through Dec. 31, 2027.

Go Gophers!!
What's sad is, this where we are in college sports. It is now a bidding war based on money rather than athletics. NiL is garbage no different then it was prior, certain universities will always have more to give(sneak,bribe) than others and will continue to have a uneven recruiting. FYI, transfer portal sucks too.

What's sad is, this where we are in college sports. It is now a bidding war based on money rather than athletics. NiL is garbage no different then it was prior, certain universities will always have more to give(sneak,bribe) than others and will continue to have an uneven recruiting. FYI, transfer portal sucks too.
It has to be a nightmare for coaches along with the transfer portal that is alive and well to build their teams and keep players happy.

Top Bottom