A Great Reminder...

hendo59

Reaction score
to all Gopher Holers from ESPN's KC Joiner. Even though he writes this to Missou fans, it seems apropos for us as well.

"One of the most useful football analytic maxims is a classic Chris Berman-Tom Jackson saying: Once is an accident, twice is a trend, three times is a fact. What this means is for something to be accepted as being the norm for a player or a team, it has to happen on a consistent basis. A single, or even double, occurrence of an event simply does not provide enough evidence to make a hands-down case for it to be considered par for the course. This is a good axiom for [Minnesota] fans to keep in mind..."

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...ncf-missouri-usc-south-carolina-related-myths

Good Point!

to all Gopher Holers from ESPN's KC Joiner. Even though he writes this to Missou fans, it seems apropos for us as well.

"One of the most useful football analytic maxims is a classic Chris Berman-Tom Jackson saying: Once is an accident, twice is a trend, three times is a fact. What this means is for something to be accepted as being the norm for a player or a team, it has to happen on a consistent basis. A single, or even double, occurrence of an event simply does not provide enough evidence to make a hands-down case for it to be considered par for the course. This is a good axiom for [Minnesota] fans to keep in mind..."

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...ncf-missouri-usc-south-carolina-related-myths

So according to the bold type above we have nothing to worry about since Kill has turned around three programs in a row and that is a fact! Now if you were talking about the former coach then you might have a point.

My fault for not clarifying Killjoy. I posted this quote in response to the ongoing threads discussing the QB situation. My point is that we don't have a large enough sample size to judge either of them yet, and that it is pre-mature for any of us to jumping on the Shortell or Queis bandwagons. We need to wait for at least a couple of more games. As for your first statement, I am in one-hundred percent agreement with you. I love what Kill has brought to the program so far. Please don't take this as a jury is still out on Kill thread. Hope that clarifies my post, whether you agree with it or not.

My confusion

My fault for not clarifying Killjoy. I posted this quote in response to the ongoing threads discussing the QB situation. My point is that we don't have a large enough sample size to judge either of them yet, and that it is pre-mature for any of us to jumping on the Shortell or Queis bandwagons. We need to wait for at least a couple of more games. As for your first statement, I am in one-hundred percent agreement with you. I love what Kill has brought to the program so far. Please don't take this as a jury is still out on Kill thread. Hope that clarifies my post, whether you agree with it or not.

I am sorry; I thought you were talking about something totally different. That is what happens when I jump from one string to another.

I totally agree with you about the problem with small sizes or data points as it applies to our quarterbacks. Deming, the founder of the quality movement, preached about the danger of doing that. He has shown that if you do make a change based on a small sample size you are very likely to make things worse instead of better.

It is time for me to go to bed before I act again on another wrong assumption.

I am sorry; I thought you were talking about something totally different. That is what happens when I jump from one string to another.

I totally agree with you about the problem with small sizes or data points as it applies to our quarterbacks. Deming, the founder of the quality movement, preached about the danger of doing that. He has shown that if you do make a change based on a small sample size you are very likely to make things worse instead of better.

It is time for me to go to bed before I act again on another wrong assumption.

No worries! I didn't take it personal. Sleep well. :)

p.s. I like the Deming reference :)

Top Bottom