A good read-perspective!

he's wrong that teague hired grant. he did not hire grant.

outside of that zips continued the ftb tradition of ripping every local media member as if they are better. amelia rightfully fired back at zips via twitter and of course zips immediately back tracked. dude, if you're going to tee off, at least have the guts to stand behind it and not back off when taken to task.

Regardless, the overall point of the article is a good one. People need to chill the frick out until there's actually something to freak out about.

Regardless, the overall point of the article is a good one. People need to chill the frick out until there's actually something to freak out about.

This! It's not the search process that is embarrassing Charlie Walters et al; it is many in the local media, and many local fans that are the embarrassment.

I didn't really mean for it to be a media indictment, but that ended up showing through. It was intended to be more of a stream of consciousness on this growing sentiment that the coaching search is somehow failing, which is being fed by visible media types. Frankly, I think that's irresponsible. Probably shouldn't have lumped all local media together because people like Amelia and Nate Sandell do a really good job, but it's wasn't practical to have a nice/naughty list. She fired back, rightfully, because she's good at reporting unbiased, useful material.

But, yes, my point was that it's unfair and unwarranted to skewer the administration when there are no facts, just rampant speculation.

The media has two choices here- say nothing or speculate. Any program that isn't reported on -with speculation included from the media - is not much of a program of interest. There may be some irresponsibility here but there has also been an extremely poor job of managing the media by Teague. You go silent and the media and the fans will assume the worst in many cases. Could Teague come up with a god, even great hire? Certainly. Does it look good so far? Nope. It's fair to report what it looks like if you aren't being told differently.

After the way our new norwood has handled this do you think he will EVER raise money in this town for ANYTHING? He has alienated a lot of fans and boosters. He's: "... too much talk and not enough action..." Bring prexy k in on this deal and sign Flip!

; 0 )

Well said zips. I thought the most entertaining part though was when our favorite poster imthewalrus (who has all too quickly reminded us why he was banned in the first place) commented that Villa 7 might be "a conflict of interest" to hiring a basketball coach. I'm sorry, but I fail to see how a program that allows our administration to get to know a bunch of possible candidates for a job conflicts with hiring candidates for that same job. Even for you wren that is an absolutely ridiculous take.

After the way our new norwood has handled this do you think he will EVER raise money in this town for ANYTHING? He has alienated a lot of fans and boosters. He's: "... too much talk and not enough action..."

How has he alienated the boosters and how do you know this?

I expect media to often say dumb, uninformed things. My biggest issue is when people whine "I won't speculate!", "I can't report anything unless I have good sources!" blah blah blah.. and then the next minute they are talking more nonsense speculation.

You want to offer poorly thought out speculation based on lemonade-stand business acumen and narrow, checklist-style thinking? Go ahead. It's just annoying when it's coupled with faux righteousness.

Also... I'd mostly separate the new coach and Tubby. Smith had to go. A better day is not promised, but a low hanging ceiling has been removed.

If he is keeping in touch with them and giving them updates as to what's going on and what the plan is, then he isn't alienating them. How do you know he isn't doing this?

EVERYHING he told them would be printed in the papers, on the internet boards and over the air waves and credited to "...unidentified boosters." Our new norwood is running scared and laying low and at this moment he doesn't know what to say, think or do. This: according to unidentified sources...

; 0 )

And...oh yes: the Boosters and a lot of other fans want Flip signed...

EVERYHING he told them would be printed in the papers, on the internet boards and over the air waves and credited to "...unidentified boosters." Our new norwood is running scared and laying low and at this moment he doesn't know what to say, think or do. This: according to unidentified sources...

; 0 )

And...oh yes: the Boosters and a lot of other fans want Flip signed...

This has to be a joke...

They can keep the search quiet all they want but what pisses me off is that it was reported that Ellis and Foster had yet to be contacted by Teague and Ellis 5 days after Tubby was let go. Shoulda been on the horn to those kids ASAP or kept coach Taylor on for a bit.

They can keep the search quiet all they want but what pisses me off is that it was reported that Ellis and Foster had yet to be contacted by Teague and Ellis 5 days after Tubby was let go. Shoulda been on the horn to those kids ASAP or kept coach Taylor on for a bit.

This is a big red flag to me as well. The report could be false but this is something that Teague or Ellis could have told the press- "...we've contacted the incoming recruits and they are awaiting our new coach." If they haven't contacted them- that's a crime.

Speculation is going to happen no matter what the AD is or isnt going to say. The sad part is fans are pissed if the Ad talks or not. Its part of the process and fans are never going to be happy. As far as the recruits go the new coach should be the one who talks to them not the AD IMO. The kids wont be playing for the AD he will be playing for the coach and he is the only one that matters. There is also a legit chance that the new coach will not want these two recruits and several players on the roster. Its part of coaching changes that not everyone left is going to be wanted. Some players wont have a real choice but to stay because they are going to be seniors and it doesnt make sense to leave. Others will be advised to find a new school if they want playing time. The new coach if he is hired soon enough could have the chance to add to this years recruiting class especially if he is working on a few kids right now.

This is a big red flag to me as well. The report could be false but this is something that Teague or Ellis could have told the press- "...we've contacted the incoming recruits and they are awaiting our new coach." If they haven't contacted them- that's a crime.

I believe either Ellis or Foster themselves confirmed. Hopefully it was all handled. Hate to lose the recruits we have for the upcoming year because the pickings seem to be slim with the guys who are left.

This is a fan base that looks for reasons to confirm their own self loathing.
Nobody will ever come here, our AD keeps swinging and missing, this is embarassing..etc.Everything is just twitter rumors at this point. I'm convinced NT knew it was very unlikely Shaka would leave VCU, but asked anyway and moved on. Hardly a swing and a miss.
Unfortunately, the media in the town caters to those who are determined to be miserable.

I'm convinced NT knew it was very unlikely Shaka would leave VCU, but asked anyway and moved on. Hardly a swing and a miss.

Either you hit it or you miss. There isn't a middle ground. If he offered and it was declined it was a miss. I'm slightly hopeful NT won't be begging at some point.

Either you hit it or you miss. There isn't a middle ground. If he offered and it was declined it was a miss. I'm slightly hopeful NT won't be begging at some point.

Of course there is middle ground. It's NT's job to see if all desirable candidates have interest. Verifying interest or lack of interest is different than making a solid offer.
Would we prefer NT not perform due diligence and gauge interest to avoid the embarrassment of someone saying no?

Of course there is middle ground. It's NT's job to see if all desirable candidates have interest. Verifying interest or lack of interest is different than making a solid offer.
Would we prefer NT not perform due diligence and gauge interest to avoid the embarrassment of someone saying no?

Not the point. If you offer someone you obviously want them to coach here. If they decline, you missed. Not that hard. You can't just offer anyone and everyone without the risk of the decline becoming public. We offered Flip and he said no thank you = swing and a miss for Norwood. Same goes for Shaka if he was indeed offered. I never said he shouldn't offer who he wants, but you can't say he didn't miss if he missed. Same goes for Buzz. Even if there isn't any chance in hell Buzz will come here it is still a miss if we offer and he say's no thank you.

Not the point. If you offer someone you obviously want them to coach here. If they decline, you missed. Not that hard. You can't just offer anyone and everyone without the risk of the decline becoming public. We offered Flip and he said no thank you = swing and a miss for Norwood. Same goes for Shaka if he was indeed offered. I never said he shouldn't offer who he wants, but you can't say he didn't miss if he missed. Same goes for Buzz. Even if there isn't any chance in hell Buzz will come here it is still a miss if we offer and he say's no thank you.

If NT asks Hoiberg's agent, "is there a scenario where he would be interested?" And the agent says no, was an offer rejected? Is it a miss? Or is NT doing his job by seeing if there were interested.
I'd imagine that a dozen or more inquiries just like that have been made.

If NT asks Hoiberg's agent, "is there a scenario where he would be interested?" And the agent says no, was an offer rejected? Is it a miss? Or is NT doing his job by seeing if there were interested.
I'd imagine that a dozen or more inquiries just like that have been made.

That's why I worded it, "if we actually offered." We for sure offered Flip-that was a miss. Can't say with Hoiberg or Shaka as we don't know what happened there?

That's why I worded it, "if we actually offered." We for sure offered Flip-that was a miss. Can't say with Hoiberg or Shaka as we don't know what happened there?

Got it,
To quote 1500 this afternoon, "the only ones talking are the coaches agents, and you can't believe a word they say."

Top Bottom