A fun look back: 1986 Top 50 High School Recruits (#30. Willie Burton)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I remember seeing annual recruiting lists like this, often in Streets & Smith's or Athlon's Magazine. Sid was our only source for recruiting info in between these annual updates.

Some big names on this list, with Willie's college and pro career, he absolutely surpassed his 30th ranking nationally.

Go Gophers!!

It was great following these lists as they were updated, always enjoyed seeing where the kids were from, etc. The better Sunday newspaper editions of sports sections across country also published these lists. Same for college football, and at least for football, there are still some papers that publish them as signing day approaches (eg. Dallas Morning News still does it for football).

Not an NBA superstar in the bunch. I guess Derrick Coleman was as close as it comes.

Part of me longs for those days.

Amazing we got Willie out of MI.

Seems like the Gophers in the 80's and 90's occasionally got a stud from Michigan. Burton, Tucker, Lenard were all from Michigan, probably others that I can't think of. Not sure who was the connection was.
Such a great HS BB area and similar weather - shame that dried up.

Don't forget about Felton Spencer! ;)
One of my classmates worked at Northwest Athletic Club and had access to members phone numbers. One day I called Felton from our High School's trainers room. It was like that Chris Farley skit. "Um....................I just wanted to let you know................that .......I think you're really good". Felton: "ahhhh, Ok...................thanks?" Ok, Bye. Much simpler time. I sometimes miss it, especially when I see national rankings of 4th graders, etc.

I'd be curious to see the accuracy of the rankings compared to today's 24/7 cycle. I know some players might've gone early, but it seems to me they did a pretty solid job on this list.

Nick Anderson was very good at basketball. He had “ the game face”. All business.
He was an excellent college player and had a really solid NBA career for sure, but definitely not a superstar.

Top Bottom