A few random thoughts

calminnfan

Reaction score
I was just reading some of the comments in an article concerning the Davis hire and was struck by a few of the (pre-mature) negative comments concerning what the Gophers apparently do not have yet in regards to the running game, so I just wanted to make a few comments

1. Brewster not only addresses issues, but does not wallow in destructive self pity mediocrity. Instead of offering up excuses, he gets it done, even at sacrificial expense. With his first hire, I understand he took less salary in order to be able to hire better assistants. That in and of itself should garner respect from the MN media instead of the mud pool they try to dunk anyone in who tries to accomplish something.

2. Brewster is establishing the entire framework for the team. This is not just a quick fix and you do not end up in Pasadena with one game or play. The talent and system are more then simply a quick way to win. It will take time as the entire talent and ability level of the team is raised up, along with the familiarity with everything Brew & crew expect. We see it starting to happen, but more is on the way!

Which leads to

3. People who look at negative issues regards to the hire, for whatever stupid reason, are portraying this, and other issues as isolated and not going to solve the entire problem(s) of the team. ( :eek:Duh)

They are, however, part of an evolving solution to developing the overall team character and play! Of Course there is not just one issue or one problem solving solution. But getting the right coaches in place and the right strategy, even willing to think a little outside of the box with the Davis/Dunbar working relationship can be a solid contribution to the overall quality of the Gopher football team.

Whoever they play in whatever bowl game they play in is probably not going to look forward to trying to prepare for the game.

I agree as well. Excellent points calminnfan.

What I like about what is going on with the program is the development of depth on both sides of the ball. In the past I think that was one of our major weaknesses. We had fairly solid starters, but no depth.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, we should be about five deep with quality RBs and WRs next year, and we should have some depth at QB and TE assuming Gray and Alipate can provide some depth at QB and Hageman, Tow-Arnett, and Lair can do the same at TE. The O-line, even with all their faults, will return nine guys who each started at least two games this year, as well as add Carufel.

The defense will need to fill some holes next year and develop some depth, but there, too, are a number of young players who have already received a lot of playing time as freshman and sophomores.

And it seems that with the hiring of Roof last year and Davis now that Brewster is not afraid to make adjustments to continually improve the program.

The loss to Iowa really hurts, but at least it is clear (to me) that this team is headed in the right direction through improved talent, depth, and experience, among both the players and the coaching staff.

On the $$$. Negative thinking seldom produces positive results, nor does it elevate your mood. I am really looking forward to the bowl game and to the '09 season!

Top Bottom