A Few Impressions Of Game Yesterday

Reaction score
I went to Indy for B10T games yesterday. It's an annual trip with my 4 cousins from Ohio who are OSU grads. Before I offer thoughts on the Gophers' play yesterday, two comments - Quaker Steak & Lube (Conseco concession stand) has DELICIOUS wings (Golden Garlic sauce). And I was able to speak to the Hoffarbers before the game (not Blake obviously) to congratulate them on his career. Like Blake, they are a credit to The U - great people.

On to my impression of the game:

1. Gophers did not take advantage of their height mismatch inside.
2. Gopher big men are slow footed on defense.
3. Colt Iverson should not play high post.
4. Gophers have no G who can defend quick, athletic G on opponent.
5. Refs let a lot of fouls go (BOTH WAYS) yesterday.
6. RSIII has a nice, soft jumpshot from FT line.
7. Gophers did not defend well in the lane.
8. The team and coaches seem to "deflate" when NWU flipped a 44-42 deficit into 55-45 lead in middle of 2nd half.
9. That "flip" happened when Gophers seemed to lose concentration (focus) for a couple of minutes but no TO was called.
10. NWU played very well - moved the ball around crisply on offense and found the Gopher weaknesses to exploit.

I doubt this Gopher team will W another game this season if invited to postseason play.

FOT

I think you summed it up pretty well.

I will add;

1. No consistent perimeter scoring threat with hoff playing pg(and the only one to guard when he is not pg).

2. The entire team is slow-footed on defense or very inexperienced. That was horrible defense all around yesterday.

3. It seems as though many on this team just 'check out' at the first sign of things going wrong. I'm sure the players and coaches are all very frustrated as us fans are.

4. As far as your height advatage statement; height can often be offset by quickness. 3pt attempts(which we give up a ton of) often result in long rebounds. With our lack of quickness, (and playing a zone) our rebounding is often not as good as one would thing it should be.

FOT, thanks for the insights, and I hope you're enjoying yourself in Indy. Thanks also for the concession recommendation. I should be able to make it back there next year, so that'll be helpful. (I hope it stays at Conseco past next year as well.)

Top Bottom