A few days in now. Concerns, surprises, and your wildcard thoughts

Ole

Reaction score
Piggybacking on the bold predictions thread, what are some things that have stood out for everyone so far into the season?
A concern/surprise.
The QB competition is interesting, and also concerning.
I honestly didn't expect anything out of Leidner, so I'll say that's a plus. I still think Nelson starts until he goes down with injury.
QB depth however is a concern. all these 7 to 9 win predictions go out the window with a true freshman at the helm again IMO.

A surprise I see:
Freshmen playing early, year 3.
Reports seem to paint Wolitarsky, Carter, Edwards, Wozniak, and even Streveler/Jones as not redshirting. Add in potentially playing Dixon/Laster at LB and you've got alot of young guys in the mix I don't think we expected to be.

Wildcards:
Defense not taking a step back. Even forward with better run D?
Claeys might be blowing smoke, but it sure doesn't seem like he's all that worried about losing Carter/Stoudemire/Wilhite/Rallis/Cooper.
If the D can simply play as well as it did last year, and get some help from an O that almost has to get better then we may be in business. Especially if the improvement on O comes in the form of a running game that can eat up time and let the D rest.
Once the pads start popping I wonder how Campbell/Lynn will hold up at LB. Good athletes look phenomenal in shorts, but the pads tend to even the athletes out with the less athletic gamers.
A fierce pass rush and/or a turnover greedy D can make an average season into a big one. I see the potential for INTs and sacks with this crew, and I wonder if the run D just can't get better by default.
Go Gophers!

Top Bottom