A Devoe Joseph thread

rrjackIII

Reaction score
Everyone wants to get to the 'League'. (See the thread where Leo Rautins talks about Cory - or listen to the Augsburg interview with Al Nolen). It seems to me Devoe's best chance to get to the NBA is as a point guard - not as a SG. My preference has been to see Devoe play the 2 but when I think back to last year he did a pretty good job last year as our starting PG even though he was sort of thrown into the PG position late in the season last year. I watched a little of his younger brother on ESPN last night. After a while I began to see many similarities in Cory's game to Devoe's. Maybe our PG questions are already answered by Cory's older brother who is already on the team. This year Devoe will have more time to prepare and plan for the PG position. I don't think Tubby is going to just hand the starting PG job back to Nolen for next year. There also could be many times when both Nolen and Devoe would be on the court together. Assuming Cobbs stays put he could fit in there as well. There were a few brief times when Cobbs was on the court with Bryant Allen on the Point and those worked out OK. Lots of PT opportunity for all of Devoe, Nolen and Cobbs in Tubby's 3 guard lineups.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to see Cory come. But sometimes we overlook what we have available with our current roster. Assuming Nolen is in shape ;) and Cobbs returns for his 2nd year :clap: and Devoe prepares in the off-season for his roll as PG :cool02:we could be in better shape at PG than some of us originally thought :cool:.....:)

I agree with you, but I think that Devoe's job at the 2 will be greatly improved since he's learned how to drive from being the PG. If Cory doesn't come, we need to look at another option at the 2 because I think Devoe could play PG.

I agree.

We want Cory to come here. But that shouldn't make us discount the guards already on the roster. Devoe did just fine at PG in the Big Ten tourney, playing against some very good PG's. His maturation was huge during the second half of the season for the Gophers.

Three Guard Line-up

Good point. I think three guard line-ups are a good possibility in the future. The Bigs are in short supply, DJ and PC are gone, Trevor is up in the air, Royce is not on scholarship, the freshman will not be familiar with Tubby's system. That leaves just Colt45, Ralph and Rodney (I think of Blake as a SG). Hope Justin stays - he will get a lot of playing time, whether Cory comes here or not.

Top Bottom