A couple of recruiting questions

golfinggopher

Reaction score
Like many of you on here, I love to talk recruiting as it is the lifeblood of the program and whether you like Brew or not, he tends to make our "recruiting season" pretty exciting. Looking at this years and nexts years class I have a couple of questions for those of you in the know on this stuff.

Do you think Marquise Hill will be turned into a Dback? He looks to have great measurables to play back there and with Brew's desire to turn many of our athletes into defensive players I think this kid would accelerate his playing time by turning into a corner. What do you think?

Looking ahead to 2011's class (it's never to early to begin looking ahead in recruiting IMO,) does anyone know if Calvin Phillips has got has stuff together yet? He is rated very highly by all of the sites but I know he was caught either smoking or distributing the "gonchi" and i'm wondering if he is going to make it? He could, along with Hassan Lipscomb and maybe a couple of this year's recruits, give us a heck of a tandom in the backfield. If he can make it into school, I think this will allow us to play Lamonte Edwards at LB unless of course he turns into a bulldozing RB as well.

We have an awesome core of WR right now, and with the recruits we hopefully have coming in at RB, we could have a really potent offense by 2011 or 2012. I'm really hoping Brewster and company have a solid bowl showing and at least a .500 record or better next year so we can really see what this team can do in 2012. I think Schoodler is the guy who has marked 2012 as "our year" and looking at the recruits in the system and the ones we hopefully have coming in, I tend to agree with him. Although this year was definitely a roller coaster, I think those of us that are keeping the faith will have a lot to look forward to in the coming years....Man, I can't wait until the endless drinking and eating during tailgating is only the beginning of our football fun day. I can imagine the day when we will be playing Ohio State, Texas, Penn State, etc...and actually BELIEVING we can beat them. Becky, hell, I'm hoping they'll be able to keep the game close enough so I don't have to continue bringing my flask of Morgan in to be entertained ;)

Wisky is no longer 'out of our league.' We are ready to start to dominate them. We are close to being able to believe we can beat anyone. We are quickly getting a D and as soon as we can run the ball we will have a legit O. The new OL prospects and Edwards can be a big part of an answer to the run game. I think we need him there much more so than as a LB. Quality depth is needed in all areas. We are seeing hope in that regard as well. This all takes time and we should be getting there. I agree we should be there in 2012.

Wisky is no longer 'out of our league.' We are ready to start to dominate them. We are close to being able to believe we can beat anyone. We are quickly getting a D and as soon as we can run the ball we will have a legit O. The new OL prospects and Edwards can be a big part of an answer to the run game. I think we need him there much more so than as a LB. Quality depth is needed in all areas. We are seeing hope in that regard as well. This all takes time and we should be getting there. I agree we should be there in 2012.

I'm just curious as to why the U is ready to start to dominate Wisky. If my squad had been beaten 13 of the last 15 and 6 games in a row I certainly wouldn't feel like we were about to start to dominate anyone. But, I think Schnoodler's team strength formula has the Gophs in the NC game in 2012, so you are probably right.

Marquise Hill will be interesting to watch develop. To me he is like Troy S, could play either offense or defense (not sure about Hill's KR ability though). The difference is, we have a lot more depth now so he could be a RS. Without any inside information about the Hill, I think he'll come in practice as a WR, but will make the decision to stay there or switch to DB based on where he thinks he'll get the most PT. We are got pretty deep with WR and took a lot of DB in this class but I think Hill is a player and he'll find the field.

I'm just curious as to why the U is ready to start to dominate Wisky. If my squad had been beaten 13 of the last 15 and 6 games in a row I certainly wouldn't feel like we were about to start to dominate anyone. But, I think Schnoodler's team strength formula has the Gophs in the NC game in 2012, so you are probably right.

To answer your question:

Becky sucks, f*ck you.

Why can't we recruit athletes to come to MN?

When I see programs like Boise State and Utah having success, I wonder what do they have that we don't? How can they recruit athletes (typically from urban areas) to come play football out in the "sticks". We are in the middle of a large metropolitan area with lots to offer a college kid as far as "things to do". Is it the weather that keeps these kids away? I just don't get it......

When I see programs like Boise State and Utah having success, I wonder what do they have that we don't? How can they recruit athletes (typically from urban areas) to come play football out in the "sticks". We are in the middle of a large metropolitan area with lots to offer a college kid as far as "things to do". Is it the weather that keeps these kids away? I just don't get it......

A pansyass schedule every year.

Boise St., Utah, TCU, etc. are big fish in small ponds. The Gophers are a small fish in a big pond. It's not that difficult to figure out why recruits would want to play for the aforementioned teams instead of New Mexico, San Diego St., Wyoming, UNLV, San Jose St., etc. It's also not difficult to understand why recruits would want to play for Ohio St., Michigan, Iowa, etc. over the Gophers. We haven't been anything better than slightly-above-average for 40+ years, and far more often mediocre or terrible.

Utah is in the middle of Salt Lake City which is actually a pretty big MSA. I believe it is about 1.2 million which doesnt include the Ogden and Provo area popolations which is all connected. The Utah campus is very nice and there is a lot of stuff to do like hiking and skiing. I would say that after living there for 4 months that I would never go back. The mormons have made it very hard to have a good time there as the laws are very strict for entertainment establishments (bars, clubs) which makes it hard to be a young person there.

Top Bottom