A cool piece of Gophers History

RodentRampage

Reaction score
From the Minnesota Historical Society:
A maroon and gold University of Minnesota football sweater worn by Egil Boeckmann in 1903. Stitched to the back in gold colored wool felt is “M/ 6 to 6″. Boeckmann scored the touchdown that tied the Minnesota-Michigan game in the first “Little Brown Jug” game; it was worn to celebrations following the game.

I was at the James J. Hill house in Saint Paul and noticed this sweater on display. According the tour guide, one of the grandchildren scored the tying touchdown in the game. Very cool, the U should see if they can borrow it to display in the Hall of Fame at TCF during Michigan game week.

Gophersweater.jpg

http://discussions.mnhs.org/collections/tag/1900s/

+1. Very cool indeed. Thanks for sharing. Ski-U-Mah!

Love stuff like this. Thanks for the post.

Go Gophers!!

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. History means nothing to our GH pups. Just us oldtimers.

Who was it again that said the Gophers never had a football jersey with the big M on the front?

Personally, I would like to see something similar to this for a throwback jersey for 1 game with the "6 to 6" on back decal panel (where SKI-U-MAH decal is).

Here's a bigger pic

media.php

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. History means nothing to our GH pups. Just us oldtimers.

I disagree I'm what you would consider to be a "GH pup" and I love to hear stories like this. I'm fascinated about the history of the program.

Thank you for sharing!

I disagree I'm what you would consider to be a "GH pup" and I love to hear stories like this. I'm fascinated about the history of the program.

Thank you for sharing!

Second. Graduated in 2010 and I love this stuff.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I mighr have misheard or the tour guide may have got it wrong. Dr. Egil Boeckman was James J. Hill's son-in-law, married to his daughter Rachel. They built a house of their own on Summit Avenue.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

I think its cool that Old Man Hill had a Gopher Football connection, but I'm not entirely surprised.

The guy was basically the state's leading citizen for years. We all know what he did to build the
railroads. He was responsible for bringing more people to the West than maybe any other person.

We was also into much more. For years he was unquestionably the state's top cattleman, and was
also responsible for the growth in the state's cattle industry.

So.....it does not surprise me that his daughter married the Gopher who scored the tying TD vs Michigan
in 1903.

From the book "Gold Glory:"

"...Since no one had been able to score a touchdown against Michigan all season, the situation did not look promising for the Gophers. However, late in the game Minnesota's Freddie Burgan returned a punt to the Michigan 42, and the Gophers started moving on runs by Jim Kremer, Harris, Germany Schacht and Burgan. They moved all the way down to the Wolverine's three-yard line where a critical fourth down situation faced them. There Michigan ganged its defense opposite the side of the line where Webster, Schacht and Rogers played, but Harris handed off on a right side crossbuck to Egil Boeckmann,who went over the thin side of the Wolverine line behind Dan Smith for a touchdown. While he became a hero that day, Boeckmann earlier had suffered the humiliation of having his teammates refuse to allow him on the field as a substitute because they believed he had stayed out too late the night before a game."

Hmmmnnn...rules violations even before there were rules....

Party on Wayne!

From the book "Gopher Gold:"

"...Since no one had been able to score a touchdown against Michigan all season, the situation did not look promising for the Gophers. However, late in the game Minnesota's Freddie Burgan returned a punt to the Michigan 42, and the Gophers started moving on runs by Jim Kremer, Harris, Germany Schacht and Burgan. They moved all the way down to the Wolverine's three-yard line where a critical fourth down situation faced them. There Michigan ganged its defense opposite the side of the line where Webster, Schacht and Rogers played, but Harris handed off on a right side crossbuck to Egil Boeckmann,who went over the thin side of the Wolverine line behind Dan Smith for a touchdown. While he became a hero that day, Boeckmann earlier had suffered the humiliation of having his teammates refuse to allow him on the field as a substitute because they believed he had stayed out too late the night before a game."

Hmmmnnn...rules violations even before there were rules....

Party on Wayne!

So that's where Max McGee learned from. :cool02:

From the book "Gold Glory:"

QUOTE]

He was probably out with Rachel.

Top Bottom