A change I would make to College Football

MNfootballfan

Reaction score
I think we can all agree the Portal plays a major role in college football. A change I would like to see college football make to the portal:

- All players get five years of eligibility to play - no redshirts other than applying for a medical redshirt.
- Players can enter the transfer portal whenever they want, just like right now, but each transfer costs the player one year of eligibility.
- Grad transfers and transfers occurring because of coaching change do not have to forfeit a year of eligibility.

so you're just saying you want to add in that they have to sit out a year no matter what (unless fired coach or GT)? because the rest is already the rules (COVID exemption will be over within a few years)

so you're just saying you want to add in that they have to sit out a year no matter what (unless fired coach or GT)? because the rest is already the rules (COVID exemption will be over within a few years)
He didn't say they have to sit a year, just that they lose a year. So if you transfer as a true freshman, now you are a true junior.

Nope. He didn’t say that at all.

It is actually a really good idea. So good that it likely won’t be implemented.

Current system is good for the sport and marketing keeping up with the NFL year round circus. Players should continue to be allowed 1 free transfer. I like the 5 year rule. Players should be able to play up to 5 years of college football and get the best education they can get. COVID has caused the issues right now with giving everyone a free year of eligibility. That will phase out over time.

Sign in 2022, your eligibility should be 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026 seasons. No such thing as a red-shirt anymore and medical reasons don't need to be considered. You have 5 years to compete and get done with as much schooling as possible. 1 Free transfer.

He didn't say they have to sit a year, just that they lose a year. So if you transfer as a true freshman, now you are a true junior.
Mmm got it. Hate that idea lol. Particularly given how many kids transfer for reasons outside of football (family, homesick, etc) and now you’re taking away a year of scholarship that allows them to get an education which may change their life.

would be interesting to see what the NFL would say about draft eligibility. Still have to be 3 years post HS?

I like the part of getting rid of redshirts and just letting players play in up to five seasons, with an exception being that they can apply for a hardship waiver if they have a season ending injury and have played in say 4 or fewer games, all within the first 6 games of the season. Something like that.

And maybe cap the waiver at 1 or 2 times max.

Change I'd Like to See...

-- Get rid of the "if your knee touches the ground you're down" rule, which apparently doesn't count if you're a holder from ND. Change it to the NFL rule of you gotta be tackled or at least touched when you're on the ground.

-- Get rid of the "if your knee touches the ground you're down" rule, which apparently doesn't count if you're a holder from ND. Change it to the NFL rule of you gotta be tackled or at least touched when you're on the ground.

There is an exception to the rule if you are in a scrimmage kick formation

I don't have a problem with the portal.

the people signing LOI are 17 or maybe 18-years-old.

When I was that age, I didn't have a clue. I made bad decisions and choices.

So I can empathize with a FB player who signs a LOI and realizes later that he regrets his decision.
Why penalize him? Let him have a mulligan and try to find a situation that is a better fit.

For the fan, it means more uncertainty for their favorite teams. I get that. But if a kid decides he does not want to be at Directional State, I don't think he should forced to stay there, or lose a year of eligibility to correct what he now sees as a mistake.

and FWIW, I like the 4-game redshirt rule. It allows younger players to get a taste of competition without losing a year of eligibility, and allows the coaching staff to evaluate those players in game situations.

Good grief. The rule doesn’t apply to holders at any level and never has.

I think we can all agree the Portal plays a major role in college football. A change I would like to see college football make to the portal:

- All players get five years of eligibility to play - no redshirts other than applying for a medical redshirt.
- Players can enter the transfer portal whenever they want, just like right now, but each transfer costs the player one year of eligibility.
- Grad transfers and transfers occurring because of coaching change do not have to forfeit a year of eligibility.
And the school that issued the original scholarship must re-assign that scholarship to an academic student. This would get schools to be more selective on the basis of citizenship and academic interest (student athletes) and to treat scholarship players in ways that will be more likely to keep them from wanting to leave.

Top Bottom