A 12-team CFP in the BCS/CFP eras: Who would have made it? (11 current Power 5 schools would not have earned a bid: MN, 1999, 13th)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Interesting article, per the Athletic. They examine the impact of a 12 team CFP dating back many years. We are included in "just missed" category with our 1999 team:

Go Gophers!!

If a 12-team playoff system dated back to the start of the BCS era in 1998, 66 different schools would have earned bids in 24 years.
Yeah, and all 66 of them would have gotten their asses kicked long before playing for the NC. Thankfully we weren't subjected to such pointless television.

I mean, the 1999 team that couldn't beat Joey Harrington in the Sun Bowl, going to the playoffs???? (Queue the Jim More meme: "PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS?"

Interesting article, per the Athletic. They examine the impact of a 12 team CFP dating back many years. We are included in "just missed" category with our 1999 team:

Go Gophers!!
Which makes me wish it would leave a committee to go to an objective system.

2019 penn state would go before both 2019 Wisconsin and Minnesota

Which is a crime.

Which makes me wish it would leave a committee to go to an objective system.

2019 penn state would go before both 2019 Wisconsin and Minnesota

Which is a crime.
Well, that brings up a point about do we want the best teams in the playoff, or the ones that won the games. We played the game of our lives against PSU in 2019 and still almost lost. If that WR doesn't slip in the open field, he scores. Instead, he falls and a few plays later Howden gets the interception.

So if you want to say the playoff is for the best teams, PSU deserves to be ahead of us. Had we played that game 10 times, PSU wins 8-9 of them. But if you want results to matter, then when a top 5 team loses to an unranked opponent, that should really set them back. But it doesn't because people tip-toe back to the argument about "best teams".

I for one want the games to count, so if you lose to a bum, you're done. Even if you go on to a stellar remaining season.

Well, that brings up a point about do we want the best teams in the playoff, or the ones that won the games. We played the game of our lives against PSU in 2019 and still almost lost. If that WR doesn't slip in the open field, he scores. Instead, he falls and a few plays later Howden gets the interception.

So if you want to say the playoff is for the best teams, PSU deserves to be ahead of us. Had we played that game 10 times, PSU wins 8-9 of them. But if you want results to matter, then when a top 5 team loses to an unranked opponent, that should really set them back. But it doesn't because people tip-toe back to the argument about "best teams".

I for one want the games to count, so if you lose to a bum, you're done. Even if you go on to a stellar remaining season.
I disagree entirely with this, but yes PSU had a better overall resume than us, albeit not by much.

I disagree entirely with this, but yes PSU had a better overall resume than us, albeit not by much.
Fair enough, do you think it would be 50/50? Or would the Gophers win more than they lost?

And I agree with "Some guy" that we should have gone to a playoff over them since we beat them.

Fair enough, do you think it would be 50/50? Or would the Gophers win more than they lost?

And I agree with "Some guy" that we should have gone to a playoff over them since we beat them.
PSU wins 5 or 6 of them. I don't agree with us being in the playoff over them by way of head to head. You create too many circular arguments that way. i.e. Wisconsin gets in over us but we get in over PSU, how do you compare PSU and Wisconsin then? Do all 3 teams get in? None of them?

We did not play the game of our lives against penn state
I disagree with that.

And I don’t want the “best” subjective teams to play
I want the teams that won games to play.

Top Bottom