'97 Gophers or even '90 Gophers vs. '10 Duke Blue Devils (last championship team)

Gophers2Omaha

Reaction score
Quick, without looking it up, name the starting lineup of each team. How about their rotations?

My point, Tyus Jones may win a National Championship on Monday night. If so, good for him and I'm sure he will be ecstatic. However, it is highly unlikely that I'll remember him or much about him 5 or 10 years from now, let alone 18 or 25 years from now. I don't like or watch the NBA.

I could rattle off the starting lineup and rotations of both the 1990 (lost in the Elite Eight) and 1997 (lost in the Final Four) Gopher teams without pausing for even a second if someone were to ask me.

Who was on the Duke 2010 team, their last National Championship team? I don't know without looking it up. Duke is there all the time so I assume it was another collection of great players. Off the top of my head I remember Kyle Singler and the big guy they had down low. I think Zubek was his name. Just remembered Nolan Smith as I'm typing. That's it. I would have to look up the rest of the roster. Was there a Plumlee on that team? Curry's brother? Doc Rivers' kid? Who knows. Maybe I'm alone in this but I have a feeling I'm not. 2010 was just another great Duke team to me.

Something for players like Amir Coffey, Gary Trent Jr., Theo John, Matthew Hurt, and yes Tre Jones to think about. If some of those guys stayed home and played for Minnesota they just might become legends in this state. Players that we would remember forever...

Quick, without looking it up, name the starting lineup of each team. How about their rotations?

My point, Tyus Jones may win a National Championship on Monday night. If so, good for him and I'm sure he will be ecstatic. However, it is highly unlikely that I'll remember him or much about him 5 or 10 years from now, let alone 18 or 25 years from now. I don't like or watch the NBA.

I could rattle off the starting lineup and rotations of both the 1990 (lost in the Elite Eight) and 1997 (lost in the Final Four) Gopher teams without pausing for even a second if someone were to ask me.

Who was on the Duke 2010 team, their last National Championship team? I don't know without looking it up. Duke is there all the time so I assume it was another collection of great players. Off the top of my head I remember Kyle Singler and the big guy they had down low. I think Zubek was his name. Just remembered Nolan Smith as I'm typing. That's it. I would have to look up the rest of the roster. Was there a Plumlee on that team? Curry's brother? Doc Rivers' kid? Who knows. Maybe I'm alone in this but I have a feeling I'm not. 2010 was just another great Duke team to me.

Something for players like Amir Coffey, Gary Trent Jr., Theo John, Matthew Hurt, and yes Tre Jones to think about. If some of those guys stayed home and played for Minnesota they just might become legends in this state. Players that we would remember forever...

Really? You honestly think that a Gopher fan's memories of his team vs another is representative? I'm quite certain that your average Duke (or North Carolina or basically any non Big Ten) message board poster cannot name any players on the '97 or '90 Gopher teams.

You sound old and bitter. Tyus is much more nationally recognized by people by playing for Duke than he would had he played for the Gophers. Of course you can name off the MN teams from the 90's because you are a fan. Scheyer, Smith, Zoubek, and Singler were on that Duke team, a lot of people remember and know that.

Duke gives players a much better platform for notoriety and success than MN does, everyone knows that. Sure, if Tyus went to MN he would have been a household name in the state, but he would be lost in the shuffle on the national level. Just like El Amin for UCONN, people wouldn't have a clue who he was nationally had he stayed in MN.

Tyus would much rather be known nationally than in his own state, believe it or not, playing at Duke gives you a much better chance at the NBA. "The scouts will find you regardless" is true, but playing with elite level players for an elite program gives rise to your stock greatly. Instead of passing the ball to Carlos Morris and Mo Walker, he gets to pass to Justise and Jah Okafor. I go to Duke to play for Coach K 10 out of 10 times if I care about my future in the nba.

Also, you will always remember Tyus Jones. Don't lie to yourself.

Dutcher's 1977 team that went 24-3 would have beat both the 1990-1997 teams ( Thompson, McHale
Saunders, Ray Williams etc.) They would have also beat this year's Final Four teams.

You sound old and bitter.

Nice. I'm younger than you think. A little back at you since you were so friendly right out of the gate- You sound like someone that settles for what is, not what could be. A "status quo" guy. Good luck with that long term.

Duke gives players a much better platform for notoriety and success than MN does, everyone knows that. Sure, if Tyus went to MN he would have been a household name in the state, but he would be lost in the shuffle on the national level. Just like El Amin for UCONN, people wouldn't have a clue who he was nationally had he stayed in MN.

Not if Tyus had brought the Gophers to a National title game. Connecticut had never won a National Title or been to a Final Four before El Amin showed up. They've been to 4 Final Fours and won 3 National Titles since. Exactly what I'm talking about. Blaze your own trail, if you want, and it is possible to be part of something that hasn't been done before. Connecticut's basketball history was far from extraordinary before their first title. You think if Tyus was part of Minnesota winning their first National Title that people wouldn't have a clue who he was? What, would there be some sort of media blackout and the games not be televised or streamed online? You don't have to go to a Blue Blood program to be recognized nationally if you are cutting nets down. Hopefully some of the MN high school talent I mentioned are the type that want to blaze their own trail...and turn Minnesota Gopher basketball into a national power. Whether unlikely or not, it is possible. See Connecticut...

Tyus would much rather be known nationally than in his own state, believe it or not, playing at Duke gives you a much better chance at the NBA.

The first part of your statement is quite possibly true and accurate. The latter part, is not. Either you can play or someone projects that you can eventually play at an elite level or you can't. Pretty sure Elfrid Payton (#11 pick in last year's draft from Louisiana Lafayette) wasn't passing the ball to the likes of Okafor in college.

Also, you will always remember Tyus Jones. Don't lie to yourself.

I have a good memory so even when I'm "old and bitter" I'm sure I will remember the name...I'll give you that.

Would they have had to do their own homework? If not, they'd probably give either of those teams a good run.
Valid point. Also I just re-watched the 97 Gophers final four game vs Kentucky and wow did they play poorly in that one. They had a great tourney run in general, but they were very tight for that game and had over 20 turnovers.

Valid point. Also I just re-watched the 97 Gophers final four game vs Kentucky and wow did they play poorly in that one. They had a great tourney run in general, but they were very tight for that game and had over 20 turnovers.

I think they had over 20 turnovers in the first half alone, and played as rancid of a half of basketball as I've ever seen in a college game, yet were only down 36-31 at intermission.

Nice. I'm younger than you think. A little back at you since you were so friendly right out of the gate- You sound like someone that settles for what is, not what could be. A "status quo" guy. Good luck with that long term.

Not if Tyus had brought the Gophers to a National title game. Connecticut had never won a National Title or been to a Final Four before El Amin showed up. They've been to 4 Final Fours and won 3 National Titles since. Exactly what I'm talking about. Blaze your own trail, if you want, and it is possible to be part of something that hasn't been done before. Connecticut's basketball history was far from extraordinary before their first title. You think if Tyus was part of Minnesota winning their first National Title that people wouldn't have a clue who he was? What, would there be some sort of media blackout and the games not be televised or streamed online? You don't have to go to a Blue Blood program to be recognized nationally if you are cutting nets down. Hopefully some of the MN high school talent I mentioned are the type that want to blaze their own trail...and turn Minnesota Gopher basketball into a national power. Whether unlikely or not, it is possible. See Connecticut...

The first part of your statement is quite possibly true and accurate. The latter part, is not. Either you can play or someone projects that you can eventually play at an elite level or you can't. Pretty sure Elfrid Payton (#11 pick in last year's draft from Louisiana Lafayette) wasn't passing the ball to the likes of Okafor in college.

I have a good memory so even when I'm "old and bitter" I'm sure I will remember the name...I'll give you that.

I think you are confusing "status quo" with realism. I would be crying with happiness if Tyus had stayed and won a title with the Gophers. However, that would be so unlikely to happen with the current makeup of the roster.

Who was the point guard on Arkansas great teams in the mid 90's? Only SEC fans would even remember who he was. Point is, the teams that pop up out of nowhere for a stretch of success are usually forgotten shortly after. The mainstay teams' players always are remembered more, even if they aren't better players.

For every Elfrid Payton there are 1000 mid major guards who are no names. He went to La Tech actually, love his game and hair btw. If you are talking actual real life, Duke props you much more than MN would. How is that hard to understand?
Blaming an 18 year old kid for choosing to play for Coach K instead of a rookie head coach to "blaze his own trail" at MN is a little ridiculous to me.

I think they had over 20 turnovers in the first half alone, and played as rancid of a half of basketball as I've ever seen in a college game, yet were only down 36-31 at intermission.

I watched the game a night or two before the B1G tourney started for some reason. Hadn't watched it for years. After seeing that game, even though it was a "tainted" run to the Final Four, I am thoroughly convinced that the Gophers were the best team in college basketball that year. They couldn't have played any worse, had a one armed point guard for the most part, and they still could have won that game. They were truly a great team that year.

I think you are confusing "status quo" with realism. I would be crying with happiness if Tyus had stayed and won a title with the Gophers. However, that would be so unlikely to happen with the current makeup of the roster.

You don't think Big Mo had a little Okafor in him...? Seriously though, if Tyus and Okafor (they were a package deal) and Reid Travis came to Minnesota, virtually overnight the Gophers would have A) Received tons of media attention including additional games on national TV and B) Been legitimate Final Four and National title contenders. It can happen very quickly if you get some "trailblazing" Blue Chip recruits that are up for it and want to create something that has never been done before. Tyus wasn't that guy and I'm not blaming him for going to Duke with his childhood friend to chase their dream. Reality is that the dream still can exist if you don't go to a Blue Blood. Hopefully some of the future "potential" blue chippers in MN see things differently.

Who was the point guard on Arkansas great teams in the mid 90's? Only SEC fans would even remember who he was. Point is, the teams that pop up out of nowhere for a stretch of success are usually forgotten shortly after. The mainstay teams' players always are remembered more, even if they aren't better players.

I actually do remember some of those players on the Hogs (and I promise I have not looked it up). Mookie Blaylock, Mayberry, Todd Day, Corliss Williamson, Oliver Miller. Not sure if Mario Credit was on the same teams as those guys but there you go. Personally, I don't remember a lot of the Duke players because like I said in a previous post, they are always there. It is stale. I don't really pay as close attention to their players. This applies to all of the Blue Bloods for me. Last night was the second time I watched Duke all season. The Gonzaga Regional Final was the first.

Reality changes. Indiana was a Blue Blood until they weren't. There isn't some unspoken rule that the Blue Bloods must always be so. In hoops, all a program needs is a few like minded recruits to trailblaze their own path. BTW I've never said trailblazer so much in my life. Might have to start watching the NBA and jump on the Trailblazer's bandwagon...

For every Elfrid Payton there are 1000 mid major guards who are no names. He went to La Tech actually, love his game and hair btw. If you are talking actual real life, Duke props you much more than MN would. How is that hard to understand?

I have a buddy that graduated from UT Arlington, a fellow Sun Belt member. Elfrid went to La. Lafayette:

http://www.ragincajuns.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3925&path=mbball

His hair is solid, I agree. Winning a national title at Minnesota props you up way more than winning a national title at Duke. At Duke is expected. Doing it at a school like Minnesota is above and beyond special.

You don't think Big Mo had a little Okafor in him...? Seriously though, if Tyus and Okafor (they were a package deal) and Reid Travis came to Minnesota, virtually overnight the Gophers would have A) Received tons of media attention including additional games on national TV and B) Been legitimate Final Four and National title contenders. It can happen very quickly if you get some "trailblazing" Blue Chip recruits that are up for it and want to create something that has never been done before. Tyus wasn't that guy and I'm not blaming him for going to Duke with his childhood friend to chase their dream. Reality is that the dream still can exist if you don't go to a Blue Blood. Hopefully some of the future "potential" blue chippers in MN see things differently.

I actually do remember some of those players on the Hogs (and I promise I have not looked it up). Mookie Blaylock, Mayberry, Todd Day, Corliss Williamson, Oliver Miller. Not sure if Mario Credit was on the same teams as those guys but there you go. Personally, I don't remember a lot of the Duke players because like I said in a previous post, they are always there. It is stale. I don't really pay as close attention to their players. This applies to all of the Blue Bloods for me. Last night was the second time I watched Duke all season. The Gonzaga Regional Final was the first.

Reality changes. Indiana was a Blue Blood until they weren't. There isn't some unspoken rule that the Blue Bloods must always be so. In hoops, all a program needs is a few like minded recruits to trailblaze their own path. BTW I've never said trailblazer so much in my life. Might have to start watching the NBA and jump on the Trailblazer's bandwagon...

I have a buddy that graduated from UT Arlington, a fellow Sun Belt member. Elfrid went to La. Lafayette:

http://www.ragincajuns.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3925&path=mbball

His hair is solid, I agree. Winning a national title at Minnesota props you up way more than winning a national title at Duke. At Duke is expected. Doing it at a school like Minnesota is above and beyond special.

Mookie Blaylock was the PG on the Oklahoma team with Stacey King that Danny Manning beat in 88.

Yep, 5 of that team's top 6 players were first round talents (4 actually picked, and Courtney James likely would've been) but the one who wasn't was the point guard...and injured vs Kentucky. Played a large role in 28 turnovers.

We were the best team remaining in the tourney after Kansas was upset, and we would've won the title that year if Harris hadn't gotten hurt.

Starting point guard out if you recall. Tight yes, but without Harris that made the task almost impossible from a physical standpoint.

Mookie Blaylock was the PG on the Oklahoma team with Stacey King that Danny Manning beat in 88.

Whoops. :confused:At least it proves I didn't look it up. I'd say I was a little off on that one! Feel like Ron Huery was on that Arkansas team as well. Now I'm definitely going to look up the rosters of those talented Nolan Richardson teams just out of curiosity. I just cannot remember their other guard.

Starting point guard out if you recall. Tight yes, but without Harris that made the task almost impossible from a physical standpoint.

They were tight but also overly eager. They perceived an opportunity to get easy baskets by beating Kentucky's press - which they did get a few of. But they were reckless and careless about it, almost as though they didn't feel like they could afford to pass up any of those opportunities, even if it meant taking risks. We were a good running team, and you know Pitino had us scouted real good. They were ready. And the refs helped them out by allowing them to foul us repeatedly in the open court.

Whoops. :confused:At least it proves I didn't look it up. I'd say I was a little off on that one! Feel like Ron Huery was on that Arkansas team as well. Now I'm definitely going to look up the rosters of those talented Nolan Richardson teams just out of curiosity. I just cannot remember their other guard.

You're combining 1990 and 1994 Arkansas.

1990 had mayberry, Day, Lenzie Howell, Credit, Huery, Big O.

1994 had Corey Beck, Dillard, Thurman, Corliss, Lee Wilson, Darnell Robinson, etc.

Both of those teams were extremely talented and could fill it up.

You're combining 1990 and 1994 Arkansas.

1990 had mayberry, Day, Lenzie Howell, Credit, Huery, Big O.

1994 had Corey Beck, Dillard, Thurman, Corliss, Lee Wilson, Darnell Robinson, etc.

Both of those teams were extremely talented and could fill it up.

Thanks for the help and correction. Could not remember Corey Beck's name. Knew his number, 14 (I think), and could picture him but could not remember his name. I think a lot of those guys on the '94 team were on the '95 team that lost to UCLA. At the very least Beck and Corliss were on there.

Top Bottom