90s music

Our Lady Peace is a very underappreciated band.

Also....I may have already stated in this thread....but neither 'Lump" nor 'Peaches' is The Presidents of the United States of America's best song. It is and always has been 'Feather Pluckin'. 'Dune Buggy' is their second best song.

But they've got a bunch of good songs outside the ones named. Great band. Very funny.

Last edited:

Also....I may have already stated in this thread....but neither 'Lump" nor 'Peaches' is The Presidents of the United States of America's best song. It is and always has been 'Feather Pluckin'. 'Dune Buggy' is their second best song.

But they've got a bunch of good songs outside the ones named. Great band. Very funny.
Deep track on their self-titled album, but the guy that wrote this is a friend of mine.

Last edited:

"Some Postman" is also awesome.

As with pretty much all Chris Isaak songs, I presumed this was a Roy Orbison cover until proven otherwise. I bet Isaak takes no offense.

Per wiki this was nominated for a Grammy, but he lost out to Tom Petty. Still a gem.

Somebody's Crying

As with pretty much all Chris Isaak songs, I presumed this was a Roy Orbison cover until proven otherwise. I bet Isaak takes no offense.

Per wiki this was nominated for a Grammy, but he lost out to Tom Petty. Still a gem.

Somebody's Crying

That album, Forever Blue, is a stone cold classic. As is most of Chris Isaak's catalog.

Guess I'll have to look into more Chris Isaak. But first....I have to get through my newly acquired stack of Marcy Playground & Nada Surf CDs.

It's not a 90's song.....but I'll post it here anyways. One of the reasons I buy albums and listen to them all the way through. This song by Nada Surf is incredible. Love it.

Listened to "It's A Shame About Ray" by the Lemonheads last night. Evan Dando is a dipshit but that's a nearly-perfect record.
You should go to 1st Ave on Dec 9. Juliana also on the bill.

I'm thinking about it. What are the odds it's going to be a horrific shitshow?
30%? I am hoping Juliana's presence keeps him focused, but that could be a fool's errand.

He had some fantastic set lists on his recent trips to Europe proper in the summer then back to Great Britain in October, but blew out his voice prior to the last show a few weeks ago.

It has the chance to be amazing (assuming his voice is back) or a train wreck.

30%? I am hoping Juliana's presence keeps him focused, but that could be a fool's errand.

He had some fantastic set lists on his recent trips to Europe proper in the summer then back to Great Britain in October, but blew out his voice prior to the last show a few weeks ago.

It has the chance to be amazing (assuming his voice is back) or a train wreck.
Maybe I should check it out. Since I refuse to listen to Ryan Adams any longer this may be my best chance at a total trainwreck.

Maybe I should check it out. Since I refuse to listen to Ryan Adams any longer this may be my best chance at a total trainwreck.
Poster boys.

I did not go, but Adams did perform what looks like an amazing setlist a few weeks ago at the State. Over 30 songs, including some Whiskeytown, as well as solo stuff from Heartbreaker and Gold. I think he knows he's on double secret probation, for multiple reasons.

He also played to the local crowd by including covers from Bob Mould, Soul Asylum and the Replacements. The Mpls Holy Trinity.

Last edited:

Poster boys.

I did not go, but Adams did perform what looks like an amazing setlist a few weeks ago at the State. Over 30 songs, including some Whiskeytown, as wells as solo stuff from Heartbreaker and Gold. I think he knows he's on double secret probation, for multiple reasons.

He also played to the local crowd by including covers from Bob Mould, Soul Asylum and the Replacements. The Mpls Holy Trinity.
His show at the Palace a few years back was wonderful. But yeah, fuck that guy.

Ground Zero for any hearing issues I may experience can probably be traced to the SUGAR Copper Blue tour at 1st Ave. His current power trio, The Bob Mould Band, replicates the frantically energetic sound just as well.

A Good Idea

Ground Zero for any hearing issues I may experience can probably be traced to the SUGAR Copper Blue tour at 1st Ave. His current power trio, The Bob Mould Band, replicates the frantically energetic sound just as well.

A Good Idea

That and a solo show in the entry around the same time. It actually hurt a little.

This Uncle Tupelo song by Jeff Tweedy provides a nostalgic music history lesson. Here's a solo version.

Acuff Rose

Last edited:

Bill Janovitz playing a solo version a fantastic song off of one of my favorite albums (Buffalo Tom / Let Me Come Over) in the 90s, maybe as high as 3rd.

Porchlight

For as controversial he can be, Evan Dando can also be a total mensch. Here he is playing to some fans post show, with a song that was missed during the gig.

Big Gay Heart

Last edited:

I got 2 turn tables and a Casio

Beck unplugged is an interesting concept. Here he is with his with his crew having a grand time with Where It's At

I did a keyword search and don't see this song posted in this forum. Remarkable, given the volume of Evan Dando/Lemonheads discussion, and it is unarguably their signature original song.

Interesting notes from this David Letterman clip:

- It was an audible. Originally they were set to play Mrs. Robinson but to Evan's delight Dave requested something else. I wonder if the record label felt the same.

- Paul Shaffer is not playing keys, but instead an acoustic guitar.

It's a Shame About Ray

Lyle Lovett with a solo/acoustic performance and some backstory of The Road to Ensenda.

For this Lou Reed song, I thought originally the opening line was "Life's like a Minney-sota." After the video, I realized it's "Life's like a mayonnaise soda."

What's Good

For this Lou Reed song, I thought originally the opening line was "Life's like a Minney-sota." After the video, I realized it's "Life's like a mayonnaise soda."

What's Good

Living in Minnesota often feels like a mayonnaise soda.

The opening guitar riff and base line on Let Me Come Over is quite an opening salvo for what I consider a Top 5 album by anyone in the 90s. It's draws me in instantly and carries throughout every track.

Buffalo Tom - Staples

Dando & Hatfield with a duo version of the Lemonheads My Drug Buddy

While R&B/Hip Hop is not generally my preferred music type and not mentioned often on this thread, I do recognize a good jam when I hear it. It was #1 on the charts this same week in 1995.

As luck would have it, this artist was nominated for a Grammy and just happened to be right in front of me in line to get into the Shrine Auditorium for the ceremony. He was quite recognizable as a tall drink of water, Google says he's 6' 8". The line was for the pre-show festivity in which all the awards they give out before the TV broadcast are presented.

He had no entourage. No cell phone to bury himself into. So for a minute or 2, just polite conversation. Told him we were selling boatloads of his CDs/cassettes at my store and he was quite appreciative, while I wished him luck.

Right behind me was Jeff Foxworthy. Also quite polite, though I suppose it was rather easy to make a good impression, I was dressed up in a tux so for all they knew I could be a huge record exec.

Anyway...Montell Jordan This Is How We Do It

The song has had tremendous staying power, even part of a Super Bowl ad with P Diddy this past February. Unfortunately for Jordan, he did not win in what has been his one and only Grammy nomination.

Lost to Stevie Wonder for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance (For Your Love). No offense to the great Stevie, but that really was not deserved. Probably has 100 better songs, plus he was already getting the Lifetime Achievement Award the same day.

If I had a vote, it would have gone to D'Angelo for Brown Sugar.

Last edited:

Most musical group breakups with multiple songwriting singers causes associates and some fans to pick a side. Since Uncle Tupelo dissolved I've seen a lot of really stupid arguments on fanboards with proponents of Team Wilco/Jeff Tweedy vs Son Volt/Jay Farrar.

Anyway, Brian Henneman (UT guitar tech) was able to maintain working relationships with both and even played guitar on Wilco's first album, A.M. Ultimately he decided to see his own band the Bottle Rockets through.

Here's Tweedy taking the stage with the Bottle Rockets for Passenger Side from A.M.

Top Bottom