$9.25 Million?

While having college football's deepest pockets couldn't buy Ohio State a perfect record, the Buckeyes still posted an impressive 83.6 winning percentage (excluding games against the military academies and Football Championship Subdivision schools)

I wonder why the excluded the service academies. They may not be the top teams in the country, but they are better than many I-A teams. Army usually isn't too good, but Air Force and Navy go to bowl games quite often.

But there does seem to be a connection between money and winning. The Gophers have done fairly well for having spent so little: we're dead last in spending, but not usually in last place. Playing in the dome was very bad for revenue.

Shocking

Big Ten

School
Expenses (in millions)

1. Ohio State
$32.30

2. Iowa
$26.90

3. Wisconsin
$22.71

4. Penn State
$19.13

5. Michigan
$18.03

6. Michigan State
$15.86

7. Northwestern
$15.71

8. Purdue
$12.66

9. Indiana
$11.84

10. Illinois
$10.49

11. Minnesota
$9.25

My two cents: Looking for a reason Minnesota has only one victory against Ohio State since 1981? How about the fact Ohio State's football budget is 3½ times greater than Minnesota's. There's certainly nothing golden about the Gophers' Big Ten worst budget. Not so coincidentally, their last winning league record came in 2003. But, hey, it could be worse: they could be Indiana. The Hoosiers haven't had a winning league record since 1993. Penn State's budget ranks as only the league's fourth-highest, but the Nittany Lions' 29 league wins since 2005 are second only to Ohio State. Iowa's budget ranks third nationally, but the Hawkeyes haven't won the league title since a co-championship with Michigan in 2004. Big Ten's best bang for the buck: Penn State. Most financially irresponsible: Iowa.

Nonsense.....this explains nothing.

Fire the coach! FIRE, FIRE FIRE!!!!!! And when that coach is hired, FIRE HIM TOO!

Wow...between the B10, SEC, B12, P10, ACC, and Big East, only Washington State spends less than the U.

That does explain a lot.

Tressel makes a couple million more per year than Brewster so that is part of it, but what does Ohio St. spend the extra $20 million on? It can't be the quality of pre-game meals. Are their coaches chartering private jets to every recruiting visit while our coaches are sitting in the last row next to the toilets on Southwest Airlines?

Big Ten

School
Expenses (in millions)

1. Ohio State
$32.30

2. Iowa
$26.90

3. Wisconsin
$22.71

4. Penn State
$19.13

5. Michigan
$18.03

6. Michigan State
$15.86

7. Northwestern
$15.71

8. Purdue
$12.66

9. Indiana
$11.84

10. Illinois
$10.49

11. Minnesota
$9.25

My two cents: Looking for a reason Minnesota has only one victory against Ohio State since 1981? How about the fact Ohio State's football budget is 3½ times greater than Minnesota's. There's certainly nothing golden about the Gophers' Big Ten worst budget. Not so coincidentally, their last winning league record came in 2003. But, hey, it could be worse: they could be Indiana. The Hoosiers haven't had a winning league record since 1993. Penn State's budget ranks as only the league's fourth-highest, but the Nittany Lions' 29 league wins since 2005 are second only to Ohio State. Iowa's budget ranks third nationally, but the Hawkeyes haven't won the league title since a co-championship with Michigan in 2004. Big Ten's best bang for the buck: Penn State. Most financially irresponsible: Iowa.

Its that low becaus we are still paying for the Mason robbery.

If we can continue to sell out the stadium, that should improve the revenue situation. In the dome, for some of the games, they had to have all sorts of gimmicks to sell any tickets at all: 4 hot dogs, 4 cokes, 4 tickets, $40, $10 tickets, etc. Plus, we didn't get the concession revenue.

So we should see an increase in revenue. Of course, spending on football is no guarantee of winning, but there having more money does seem to correlate into winning.

How are the Gophs suppose to contend when a school like Alabama is paying just their head coach more than half of the Gophs budget? I always figured the Gophs were closer to middle of the pack rather than towards the bottom in spending. Now only to find out they were dead last in spending just speaks volumes about why they haven't won anything. I know the Dome played a very large part of that, but does anyone really think they are going to significantly grow the budget now that they are in The Bank? I don't see it happening.

I know the Dome played a very large part of that, but does anyone really think they are going to significantly grow the budget now that they are in The Bank? I don't see it happening.

Yes, I do.

At the dome:

Revenue from concessions: 0$
Revenue from parking: 0$
Half-empty stadium begging people to come to games with $10 tickets.

At TCF:

The U gets all the revenue from concessions.
The U gets all the revenue from parking
Full stadium at full price.

That adds up to a lot of money. It's not going to move us to the top of the revenue charts, but it's going to make a big improvement.

Yes, I do.

At the dome:

At TCF:

That adds up to a lot of money. It's not going to move us to the top of the revenue charts, but it's going to make a big improvement.

But with Maturi at the helm, I can't see 100% of the revenue going to football. I'd be surprised if the majority of that revenue stayed in the football program. I'm sure the boathouse is due for an addition.

Will that added rev translate to added fb related spending. The article pointed out that the teams that spent the most also brought in two to three times what they spent.

Yes, I do.

At the dome:

At TCF:

Yep; Mr. R. Rampage is dead on.

We had this discussion dozens and dozen of times on the old board. The Masonites CONSTANTLY referred to the lack of spending but ALWAYS much as the referenced article, never wanted to talk about revenue! That stopped for a time when they found out that Mason's Assistants were going to get their money it was Glen that was holding out for a bigger payday but I digress..

The football revenue at the Dome, how should I put it? Oh yeah, it sucked! Take out Iowa and Wisconsin and a Big Ten game or two and there were always tens of thousands of seats available where you could get a seat, a hot dog and a Coke for about $10.

How many of those bargains do you think were available in Ann Arbor, Madison, State College, Columbus or Iowa City?

Michigan and Ohio State earned more money yearly from parking and concessions then the total yearly revenue earned by the Gophers at the Dome. Discussions always got around to killing baseball, golf, Mens gymnastics and ALL Women's sports to funnel revenue to Glen and his program. Conveniently ignoring Title Nine and the public ire, and checkbook response, to killing of those sports. The Bush administration's lack of support for a Title Nine overhaul based on proportional stats left me saddened, but many of them virtually suicidal. ;)

SMU, the findings mentioned do reflect the importance of spending, though the article does showing some surprising points of disagreement. The lack of revenue numbers makes it distorting to say the least.

Revenue and spending for this past season will be in the middle of the pack for the Big Ten. This despite the vast majority of the House and the Governor's efforts to trim $3,000,000 or so for the benefit:confused: of booze hounds in the cheap seats at TCF.

You might want to be careful with this thread....

....putting $$$ into it like this make make too much logical sense.

I've been saying for years that you cannot buy a Cadillac with
Yugo dollars. You get what you pay for.

The U has had the lowest budget in the Big Ten for years. They
should be last in the Big Ten, logically, every single season. The
reason they haven't been is because they have had some decent
people around.

But let's not let sheer numbers in terms of dollars enter into this at
all. Let's remember that it was the coaches and players who are at
fault. The year they went 10-3....should have been 13-0. Fire the
coach! Fire the AD! Bench the quarterback! (denote my sarcasm).

I also realize that this response will have absolutely no impact upon some
on this board, nor will these numbers.

This is why less of the blame should be at Maturi and more should be at the President and the Board of Regents. If they were willing to spend the money, the U of M is still a place that could win Big, in my opinion. Though we will never know, because the U of M spends little money on the football program.

Maturi does a decent job with what he is given. Wins per dollar spent I bet MN is one of the best programs in the country.

Don't you have to have money to be able to spend it? The dome was a financial disaster.

Don't you have to have money to be able to spend it? The dome was a financial disaster.

It takes money to make money.

Look at a list of the top 20 schools in terms of spending. Look at the top 20 schools in terms of profits......they would look eerily similar.

It is easy to say the reason they are spending is because they turned a profit. But it is very possibly (likely) that the reason the schools are making so much money is because they have spent the money necessary to build a successful product.

I bet they also get to keep their concession and parking money too.

I suspect that the source of these funds is largely charitible contributions to the various athletic departments.
If so, I have seen the enemy and he is... US!

It takes money to make money.

Look at a list of the top 20 schools in terms of spending. Look at the top 20 schools in terms of profits......they would look eerily similar.

It is easy to say the reason they are spending is because they turned a profit. But it is very possibly (likely) that the reason the schools are making so much money is because they have spent the money necessary to build a successful product.

It's a chicken-egg argument. Revenue and spending would be correlated too. You have to spend in a way that improves your chances of winning. If the U just doubled its football budget overnight, it probably wouldn't matter.

The U's football revenue took a hit shortly after the Vikings arrived. When you look at attendance data it is clear that the Vikings immediately dinged the U for at least 15,000 at the gate. The U responded by dis-investing in the football program. Meanwhile there was a college football arms race starting in the rest of the country.

Losing started to follow; then less revenue was generated, more disinvestment, and more losing. The decision to mothball Memorial Stadium to save money was landmark as part of this death-spiral. And signing a lease at the Metrodome that literally handed almost all streams of revenue over to Minnesota's professional sports franchises :confused: was arguably the knock-out blow to the football program (though it worked very nicely for the Twins and Vikings organizations).

At some point between firing Geutekunst and hiring Mason the decision was made to make some effort to compete in D1 football again. But Minnesota is far behind in the arms race. TCF should prove to be a major step in catching-up.

At some point early in the Mason era I remember the public finally buying-in to the indisputable fact that the U couldn't continue to play in the dome forever and compete in the Big Ten. I believe the only reason this dilemma ever became part of the public's consciousness was because of the very public revenue discussions that were suddenly going on pertaining to the Vikings, Twins, North Stars, Wild, Timberwolves. Unfortunately, people were naive to the revenue vs. winning relationship in the 60's and 70's when the football program was being disassembled.

What about all the money from the Big Ten Network?! It seems to me that all the realignment talk and activity was based around wanting to get a piece of the cable revenue pie that worked out so well for the Big Ten. Also, it seems pretty clear that when you talk cable revenue you are talking college football. Traditional b-ball power Kansas was awfully close to playing in the Mountain West.

Minnesota athletics ought to get the message that football is where the money is and that there are plenty of other schools that would give an arm and a leg for the chance to play in the Big Ten.

TCF is a great start - but unless there is significant improvement this year, they will need to consider a coaching change. If there is a coaching change, they need to be prepared to spend some money and upgrade.

There was going to be no money for Memorial Stadium renovations so long as the Gophers were being pressured to move to the dome. It was short-sighted, the move cost us a whole lot more revenue than renovation would have cost. But that's done, and we're back on campus.

Having a smaller stadium allows us to make more money - 50,000 people in a 60,000 seat stadium is a problem. Those 10,000 empty seats drive down the price of the ticket. Plus, if people feel they can just walk up and get a ticket, they feel disinclined to get a season ticket.

I know gloom and doom is all the rage here, but the revenue situation is looking up. Optimism is not forbidden.

will increased revenues mean increased spending?

with the new stadium and revenues from the Big Ten Network, yes, the revenue situation is looking up. But where will those revenues be spent (or invested)? I hope they will be spent overwhelmingly toward football, since money spent there is most likley to produce the most revenue.

It's a chicken-egg argument. Revenue and spending would be correlated too. You have to spend in a way that improves your chances of winning. If the U just doubled its football budget overnight, it probably wouldn't matter.

The U's football revenue took a hit shortly after the Vikings arrived. When you look at attendance data it is clear that the Vikings immediately dinged the U for at least 15,000 at the gate. The U responded by dis-investing in the football program. Meanwhile there was a college football arms race starting in the rest of the country.

Losing started to follow; then less revenue was generated, more disinvestment, and more losing. The decision to mothball Memorial Stadium to save money was landmark as part of this death-spiral. And signing a lease at the Metrodome that literally handed almost all streams of revenue over to Minnesota's professional sports franchises :confused: was arguably the knock-out blow to the football program (though it worked very nicely for the Twins and Vikings organizations).

At some point between firing Geutekunst and hiring Mason the decision was made to make some effort to compete in D1 football again. But Minnesota is far behind in the arms race. TCF should prove to be a major step in catching-up.

At some point early in the Mason era I remember the public finally buying-in to the indisputable fact that the U couldn't continue to play in the dome forever and compete in the Big Ten. I believe the only reason this dilemma ever became part of the public's consciousness was because of the very public revenue discussions that were suddenly going on pertaining to the Vikings, Twins, North Stars, Wild, Timberwolves. Unfortunately, people were naive to the revenue vs. winning relationship in the 60's and 70's when the football program was being disassembled.

This is the best explanation I have ever read for the the Gophers 40 years of football futility.

That study is not telling the whole story. First of all its from 2008-2009 school year. We were in the Dome and we didn't pay ANYTHING to play there. NO RENT. So our 9.25 million in which this study places us last doesn't include a cent for facility upkeep or gameday expenses. So add a couple million onto that and we are smack dab in the middle of the Big Ten.
It's not free to play in Ohio Stadium. There is alot of dough that goes into upkeep on a 100,000 seat stadium every year for every game, plus any renovations they've done in the past 10 years.

I'm sure Iowa and Wisconsin are up there because of their big renovations to their stadiums the past 10 years. Michigan's expenses will skyrocket after their addition is finished as well....almost cost as much as our brand new stadium!

Focusing on the fact that we didn't pay rent at the dome isn't just not telling the whole story, it's barely even reading the cover. Yes, we didn't pay rent there, but that's more than made up for by the revenue streams that we didn't get from the dome: It was a good deal to give us free rent at the dome, but it was a good deal FOR OTHER PEOPLE.

It's like getting a free car that you need to put in thousands of dollars of repairs to keep it running, it's a bad deal.

Big Ten Football Revenue 2008-2009

From the US department of Education. Yep, lame football revenue appears to be the difference in total revenue

Big 10 Schools 2008-2009 revenue........................................... ..........................................

School.......................Football Revenue................Athletic Department Revenue

Ohio State...................$68,196,195............... ..............$119,859,607

Penn State...................$61,767,717............... .............$95,978,243

Michigan.....................$52,246,025.......... ...................$95,193,030

Wisconsin....................$40,005,517.......... ..................$89,842,749

Iowa............................$38,896,234....... .....................$79,521,143

Michigan State.............$43,506,725..................... ........$75,624,811

Minnesota....................$25,594,942.......... ...................$70,322,992

Indiana.........................$20,836,473....... ....................$60,615,528

Purdue.........................$18,320,608........ ....................$59,919,102

Illinois..........................$25,710,645..... ......................$55,609,086

Northwestern...............$23,951,794............ .................$48,582,384

Total Athletic Revenue and Expenses:

http://www.mndaily.com/graphic/2010/01/25/012510g1athletics

Funding from University:

http://www.mndaily.com/graphic/2010/01/25/012510g2athletics

2009 Football Attendance:

http://www.mndaily.com/graphic/2010/01/25/012510g3athletics

So true. This should be framed and posted, or inscribed on the tombstone of past 40 years of Gopher football.

That study is not telling the whole story. First of all its from 2008-2009 school year. We were in the Dome and we didn't pay ANYTHING to play there. NO RENT. So our 9.25 million in which this study places us last doesn't include a cent for facility upkeep or gameday expenses. So add a couple million onto that and we are smack dab in the middle of the Big Ten.
It's not free to play in Ohio Stadium. There is alot of dough that goes into upkeep on a 100,000 seat stadium every year for every game, plus any renovations they've done in the past 10 years.

I'm sure Iowa and Wisconsin are up there because of their big renovations to their stadiums the past 10 years. Michigan's expenses will skyrocket after their addition is finished as well....almost cost as much as our brand new stadium!

I never thought about it in those terms. Thank God we aren't forced to let 80,000-100,000 people in our stadium. I sure hope we don't get too many fans and add on to our sleek, agile 50,000 seat stadium and lose any advantage we currently enjoy. Just thinking of how much we would have to spend on pop, hot dogs and T-shirts makes my head hurt.

Top Bottom