$8M NIL Deal📈

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score

I take it is a good player, the school that he is going to attend perhaps knows about it, but nobody else does.

I don't care who the player is.....8 million to a kid who hasn't even taken a single college snap yet is just ridiculous. Deals like this will be outliers but will be interesting to see just how much stupid money there really is out there that rich boosters are willing to throw around.

I always took a passing interest in most sports. I like to watch the Twins and watch the Vikings when I am not outdoors in the fall. Other sports too but not seriously. However, I have always been passionate about Gopher football. Since I was a young boy. That is over 50 years.

Now with all this pay to play stuff going on it just isn't the same. It is no different than any professional sports that don't have a cap limit. It may take a few years but NIL has ruined college football ... at least for me.

Name of lucky player, in the class of 2023, not made public yet. But the rumored, booster-funded NIL deal—unrelated to recruiting!—is for $8,000,000. They’re gonna need bigger bags!

Tennessee boosters putting up big money for a QB... though not a Manning

Tennessee boosters putting up big money for a QB... though not a Manning
Would love to see all of this just come crashing down around the schools that choose to do this ridiculous payment to players in hopes of becoming nationally relevant. It might give them second thoughts if they pay $8mill to a player and they finish 4th in the conference!

Maybe USC payed $8mill to get the QB from Oklahoma? Still ridiculous, but a much better value than some Billy Bob Johnny Rocket hot shot out of high school.

According to many dork posters here on GH it must be St Thomas.

The link says the contract could be worth up to $8M.

Would make sense that someone with $8M to throw away on a player is probably a bit smarter than just showing up at the house with a forklift of cash stacks and saying "here ya go, hopefully it all works out!"

Might NIL money keep some ‘student’-athletes in college longer? Like Gable? I don’t know what the answer is as I love the pageantry of college football but this does keep pushing the game further and further from the mission of our fine institution.

Might NIL money keep some ‘student’-athletes in college longer? Like Gable? I don’t know what the answer is as I love the pageantry of college football but this does keep pushing the game further and further from the mission of our fine institution.
I disagree with the last bit.

You're talking about 100 students out of 50k, maybe closer to 100k in the entire U of MN system.

I don't care who the player is.....8 million to a kid who hasn't even taken a single college snap yet is just ridiculous. Deals like this will be outliers but will be interesting to see just how much stupid money there really is out there that rich boosters are willing to throw around.

The rumors about NIL deals will be floated as a recruiting tactic even if they are as real as the leprechaun. Perception always trumps reality.

Until I see actual contracts or something verified by a trusted third party I feel like there is going to be a massive amount of BS around NIL deals to generate interest of players and fans alike.

Not enjoying college football as much right now.

The rumors about NIL deals will be floated as a recruiting tactic even if they are as real as the leprechaun. Perception always trumps reality.

Until I see actual contracts or something verified by a trusted third party I feel like there is going to be a massive amount of BS around NIL deals to generate interest of players and fans alike.

Not enjoying college football as much right now.
The link claims The Athletic reviewed the contract sent over from a lawyer representing whomever is offering the deal.

The link says the contract could be worth up to $8M.

Would make sense that someone with $8M to throw away on a player is probably a bit smarter than just showing up at the house with a forklift of cash stacks and saying "here ya go, hopefully it all works out!"

Escalator clauses that are probably completely unrealistic and unachievable but might sound good to players and unsophisticated advisors

Well again, the actual language says could be worth up to $8M.

I'm sure it's an incentive laden deal, as perhaps such "this is your entire 'deal' for your college career" should be.

Also would assume the player can't get that full amount if they leave a year early for the NFL. Etc.

Well again, the actual language says could be worth up to $8M.

I'm sure it's an incentive laden deal, as perhaps such "this is your entire 'deal' for your college career" should be.

Also would assume the player can't get that full amount if they leave a year early for the NFL. Etc.

Sounds like hot air.

Discount Double-check was rumored $2M endorsement deal, for a national figure.

Would love to see the contract. Why so coy? Hmm.

Once again, this game is sort of gross. At least institute a draft for top 300 players.

Its over. College football - i loved it so much- is over. Sniff, sniff.

Bud Grant talked about getting a car from his college, and Sid talked about paying people in the 40's. I don't see much changing.
More out in the open, less sneaking around, more people dipping their toes in probably since not worried about getting caught cheating. But yeah, extra benefits have been around forever, this doesn't change that.

The unregulated NIL deals are going to ruin college football What are the chances some jealous dude on an opposing team takes a run at the guys getting these big NIL deals? Might make the SEC games vs the cupcakes quite interesting.

The NCAA will probably make a rule change, regarding these kind of deals. The players will be making more than the coaches.

This deal may not have anything to do with recruiting for any particular school.

Tiger woods signed a $40MM endorsement deal with Nike before he entered his first pro tournament. Under current NIL rules he could have done it as a freshman at Stanford.

It could be shoe company, Rolex watches or clothes company banking on the kid being the next Patrick or Tiger or Kiril, no matter where he goes to school.

I don't have a problem with it at all.

For the sake of discussion, lets assume the player is Arch Manning or someone of that caliber. There is no guarantee that the guy will produce a ton of wins, but there is a guarantee that the person will generate a certain amount of buzz (buzz = $$). I'd guess the contract is worth the $8 million if he wins the Heisman and/or National Championship. If that's the case, he'd be worth it. At least he would be worth it to the people willing to pay it.

For me, the system has already become monetized at every single level and I have no problem with the players finally capitalizing on their worth. Their worth shouldn't be determined by those of us on the outside (shush the "scholarship is enough crowd").

I don't have a problem with it at all.

For the sake of discussion, lets assume the player is Arch Manning or someone of that caliber. There is no guarantee that the guy will produce a ton of wins, but there is a guarantee that the person will generate a certain amount of buzz (buzz = $$). I'd guess the contract is worth the $8 million if he wins the Heisman and/or National Championship. If that's the case, he'd be worth it. At least he would be worth it to the people willing to pay it.

For me, the system has already become monetized at every single level and I have no problem with the players finally capitalizing on their worth. Their worth shouldn't be determined by those of us on the outside (shush the "scholarship is enough crowd").
Well said. It's odd to me that with all the money that has taken over sports this is what is pushing people over the edge and "ruining the game".

Top Bottom