7 Ugliest Uniforms in College Football History (#2. Mid-1990s Minnesota Gophers)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Alsher:

2. Minnesota Golden Gophers
Although we’re discussing football uniforms, it’s clear the Minnesota Golden Gophers struck out big time with this stylistic decision. Whoever thought it was a good idea to place two connecting “M’s” on the chest of the jersey has a lot of explaining to do. That’s not concern for the task at hand on the players’ faces; it’s embarrassment for having to wear these uniforms out in public. Never again, Minnesota. Never again.

Minnesota-Golden-Gophers-Brian-Bahr-Getty-Images.jpg

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/ugliest-uniforms-college-football-history.html/?a=viewall

Go Gophers!!

The other 6 are so bad, not sure how the m & m uni placed 2nd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those uniforms were absolutely hideous! I always wondered if they were designed by students that had no interest in football. Love the uniforms now.

The jerseys were horrid, but I actually liked the metallic gold helmets.

The combo today was hideous.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The combo today was hideous.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was flummoxed by the decision to wear gold jerseys with white pants. Why can't we wear all maroon, all gold, maroon jerseys with gold pants, or gold jerseys with maroon pants, and leave it at that? We don't need any more combinations, and we should always be proud of our colors, maroon and gold. Love this victory against NU. NU always seems to be a team that finds a way to beat us in the final minute of the game. But, not today! Wonderful game. I am so happy.

I actually agree. Today's Gopher uniforms were awful. But NW's were worse. Whoever thought that having that stripe through the numbers should be fired. You can barely tell what number someone is wearing.

And I HATE the Gopher uniforms with "Minnesota" on the back instead of the name. Don't give me the whole "it's a team game - the only name that matters is Minnesota" BS cliche. I want to easily know who is on the field doing what.

Too many people in chage of things they are unqualified for...as in have no taste whatsoever.

The unis in the op were obviously designed by my high school class reunion committe. The ones that had a pot luck at the local VFW for out 25th.

I actually agree. Today's Gopher uniforms were awful. But NW's were worse. Whoever thought that having that stripe through the numbers should be fired. You can barely tell what number someone is wearing.

And I HATE the Gopher uniforms with "Minnesota" on the back instead of the name. Don't give me the whole "it's a team game - the only name that matters is Minnesota" BS cliche. I want to easily know who is on the field doing what.

Maybe if u watched them play a few games you'd know them by their numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't wear white when the visiting team is wearing all white.

This is about as subjective a topic as there is, so to each his own. But I liked the combo. It's a unique, in a good way, look in college football. And I also feel the Minnesota on the back speaks to team unity. A nice touch on senior day. Hope to see that combo again.

I am not a huge fan of the Minnesota on the back of the gold jerseys but don't think it is that big a deal either way. On the flip side I can't stand the white pants with any of our home uniforms and only really like them on the road when we go all white. Assume the players or coaches must like wearing them but I think if you took a poll the majority of fans would vote to not ever wear white pants at home.

Someone else brought up the anthracite jerseys as well in the game day thread. Would have loved to see them make an appearance again but they must have decided not to purchase those this year. That or maybe they break them out in the bowl game.

I liked the Wacker uniforms minus the linked "M's".

We actually had gold pants once, unlike the yellow we usually wear.

Minnesota and Maryland were the only two regular jerseys. All the rest were "special" one-off unis if I remember correctly.

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 10.14.43 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-11-20 at 10.17.38 AM.jpg

A little more maroon and gold on the whites make it more appealing IMO.

I actually preferred the "metallic" gold as opposed to the current color - which looks like yellow to me.

You don't wear white when the visiting team is wearing all white.

Agree the white pants don't work with Gophs but...so...Wisconsin, Mich State, Nebraska wear what color of pants at home?

I'm certainly in the minority on this, but I didn't mind the combo yesterday. I understand that white isn't one of the Gophers' colors, but I think they work alright here. They're simple and straightforward, no stripes or patterns, so when they're on the field the main attention goes to their gold jerseys and helmets, which I think look solid. On a tv screen, those gold colors really pop. It's a very bright, vibrant look since both colors are lighter shades. Not something I want to see in every game, but this was fine with me (probably even better since they won haha).

I'm certainly in the minority on this, but I didn't mind the combo yesterday. I understand that white isn't one of the Gophers' colors, but I think they work alright here. They're simple and straightforward, no stripes or patterns, so when they're on the field the main attention goes to their gold jerseys and helmets, which I think look solid. On a tv screen, those gold colors really pop. It's a very bright, vibrant look since both colors are lighter shades. Not something I want to see in every game, but this was fine with me (probably even better since they won haha).
I also thought they were great and hope we see them again.

Agreed. Who cares that much about the unis. I don't understand all the complaining. I thought they looked fine.

As long as we are talking about uniforms I will go one step further. I love the wildcat on the NU helmet. As long as we don't seem to have a tradtional uniform combination I would love to see a gopher on an alternative helmet.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 votes from the Micks that those were UGLY uniforms for the Gophers.

Top Bottom