7 Stages of Grief

Gopherlovin

Reaction score
Stage 1 - Shock and Denial: (During Game and first couple hours directly after)

You can't believe what you are watching... This can't be true. The Gophers are going to lost to South Dakota?!?!

Stage 2 - Pain and Guilt: (Walk back to the car)

It hurts. Your beloved team just got beaten in what should have been a blow-out win. Your buddies are are speechless and everyone walks back to the parking lot feeling like life couldn't get much worse right there and then.

Stage 3 - Anger: (Rest of Saturday thru Sunday)

You are pissed. Fire Brewster! Fire Maturi! They did this to you. They are directly responsible for what took place. They have no reason to continue on and finish out the year. They are horrible and this program is a disgrace. The Vikings lost already on Thursday, so I have nothing to take away from what happened yesterday. I'm pissed and someone needs to pay for making me feel this way!

Stage 4 - Depression: (Monday)

You head back to work. People are laughing at the game. Laughing at you for being a fan. Even an Indiana fan is making fun of you and the state of your program. Woe is me.

Stage 5 - The Upward Turn: (Tuesday)

You get back into the groove of the week. The hustle and bustle of work takes your mind away from thinking about the game, and the dissapointing loss is moved to the back of your mind.

Stage 6 - Reconstruction and Working Through: (Wednesday and Thursday)

USC is coming this weekend. You remember that you've been looking forward to this game for over a year. You need to start making tailgating plans and figure out the menu for the week. You still feel some of the pain, but are looking forward to the weekend and have started to accept what took place and move on. You start to look forward to all of the events leading up to and after the game.

Stage 7 - Acceptance and Hope: (Friday)

Yep, last weekend sucked, but this one is going to be enjoyable. You don't expect the Gophers to win, but you are going to have a great time with your friends and family. How fun would it be if the Gophs came out and beat the Trojans! Ha, right. But it would be awesome. Hey, Kansas did it, so there's a chance. Go Gophers!

It's pretty interesting watching all of the posters on here go through this. Sure, the time frame is different for everyone, but it's pretty amazing how accurate this actually is. Last weekend was horrible, shameful, and a disgrace, but one thing is certain... I will show up on Saturday, have a great time tailgating with friends, and come kickoff, I'll be standing and cheering on the team I love. We probably will get killed, but there's a chance we can pull it off and come out victorious. There's a reason they play every week, and I personally am not going to let history keep me from having an enjoyable afternoon, regardless the outcome. There are plenty of you still sulking enough for those of us who are already moving on to next week.

You forgot next Saturday at 6 PM- Your neck hurts from watching USC receivers run down the field and your head aches from hearing Fight On played by the pep band for the one-thousandth time.

Great post. And very true.. Although I was almost completely over it on Monday. Sunday was rebound day with posting on here and watching NFL games objectively as parts of the healing process.

Im still between anger and depression. New University of Minnesota studies show being a Gopher football fan actually takes 5-7 years off of your life on average.

Haha, this pretty much sums up the last 4 days for me! Great post.

That was a good read.

I'll tell you the moment I entered stage 6 (Reconstruction):

I work for parking at the U. I got done with my shift yesterday at Maroon lot. On my way home, I was walking towards Mariucci. I saw an older man (I'd say in his 70s) in his USC sweater, and USC hat, and carrying his USC duffel bag. He was with his little lady with her USC gear on, including earrings. They were taking pictures of The Bank from the plaza area.

These folks were certainly pumped for the game, and they are only playing lowly Minnesota. I became ashamed that i was not equally excited for the game.... against USC..... in a beautiful stadium! We have been blessed with a great opportunity: if there is one thing that can help us forget about USD, it is beating a big-time opponent. And we have that in the USC game.

Great post. Reconstruction is here. I am going shopping tonight to begin preparing the tailgate menu. Can't wait for Saturday. Win or lose, these are the games that I want to watch. Let's see our Gophers take on the best.

Why are Monte and Lane Kiffin here so early in the week?

You've got it right!

Gopherlovin,

From a guy that teaches this stuff to high school students (stages of grief,etc.)just let me say I found your post (your insights) "dead on", fun to read, and a good lesson to all of us masochists that bleed maroon and gold. Thanks!

That was a good read.

I'll tell you the moment I entered stage 6 (Reconstruction):

I work for parking at the U. I got done with my shift yesterday at Maroon lot. On my way home, I was walking towards Mariucci. I saw an older man (I'd say in his 70s) in his USC sweater, and USC hat, and carrying his USC duffel bag. He was with his little lady with her USC gear on, including earrings. They were taking pictures of The Bank from the plaza area.

These folks were certainly pumped for the game, and they are only playing lowly Minnesota. I became ashamed that i was not equally excited for the game.... against USC..... in a beautiful stadium! We have been blessed with a great opportunity: if there is one thing that can help us forget about USD, it is beating a big-time opponent. And we have that in the USC game.

+1

Personally, I love seeing the old folks there, the gentlemen wearing their maroon or gold blazers, matching ties. That is what ties the history of this program together. Even when they tell me to sit down during some of the biggest plays of the game.

I'll tell you this...a good tailgating situation can make you heal a little faster. I sat on my lawn chair for a good ten minutes mumbling out loud, "South Dakota?" Over and over until the football started to fly and a little while later I moved on to the next stage.

I have eaten nothing but ice cream since we lost. What stage is that?

True. Wait 'til I cap off the week with a Vermonster. Diabetic coma here I come.

As I was skimming the posts, I misread the title of this thread as "7 Stages of Giel!!!!! :eek:

Top Bottom