6th year for Trevor?

With respect to the Five-Year Rule Waiver, the mandatory year in residence before competing in a DI to DI transfer situation is deemed to be within control (same as a redshirt year by decision of the coach to not play someone).

^^^ taken by me from the NCAA Operating Bylaws.

^^^ Is there a Link? Or, are you 'quoting' from a hard copy you are reading from?

When you say it is deemed 'within control' does that mean the school or player has 'control' over the eligibility of the player before competing in a D1 to D1 transfer situation.

Or does the school have 'control' because it is part of the NCAA and thus has a say in the NCAA rules?

Also does a player transferring from a D2 to D1 treated differently from a player transferring from a D1 to D1?

^^^ Is there a Link? Or, are you 'quoting' from a hard copy you are reading from?

When you say it is deemed 'within control' does that mean the school or player has 'control' over the eligibility of the player before competing in a D1 to D1 transfer situation.

Or does the school have 'control' because it is part of the NCAA and thus has a say in the NCAA rules?

Also does a player transferring from a D2 to D1 treated differently from a player transferring from a D1 to D1?

I was literally cutting and pasting (with the ">>" added by me to indicate subheadings, etc.) from the Division I Manual. It's a 400+ PDF, but you can access it online. Article 14.2 addresses the Five-Year Rule.

It is deemed 'within control' because sitting out that year was due to a decision within the control of the student-athlete. If you don't want to sit out a year, don't transfer. It's your decision to transfer that causes the sitting out of the year and therefore is deemed to be within your control.

DII to DI can be treated differently than DI to DI in some circumstances, depending on (among other things) the sport. (Some of the exceptions available are not offered for the 'bigger' sports, including basketball.)

It seems to me that in order to be granted a 6th year you would need to sit out two years for reasons not under your control. For example a mandatory red-shirt if you are transferring from another NCAA school and/or an injury or injuries.

Kim Royston, on the football team, was granted a sixth year under similar circumstances as Trevor. However, IIRC he had to document that he transferred due to hardship and not just because he wanted to change school for football purposes.

Kim Royston, on the football team, was granted a sixth year under similar circumstances as Trevor. However, IIRC he had to document that he transferred due to hardship and not just because he wanted to change school for football purposes.

Not very similar circumstances (Royston not allowed to play for a year due to transfer; Mbakwe did not play due to team's decision but was eligible), but you are correct on the hardship argument --> "The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement reserves the right to review requests that do not meet the more-than-one-year criteria detailed in this bylaw for circumstances of extraordinary or extreme hardship."

Not very similar circumstances (Royston not allowed to play for a year due to transfer; Mbakwe did not play due to team's decision but was eligible), but you are correct on the hardship argument --> "The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement reserves the right to review requests that do not meet the more-than-one-year criteria detailed in this bylaw for circumstances of extraordinary or extreme hardship."

So GW - question for you (understanding you're of the mindset that a 6th year for TM is VERY unlikely):
What exactly was Kim's hardship, and how do you see Trevor's compared to Kim's? Thanks in advance

So GW - question for you (understanding you're of the mindset that a 6th year for TM is VERY unlikely):
What exactly was Kim's hardship, and how do you see Trevor's compared to Kim's? Thanks in advance

Sure. I can't say for certain what the argument on Royston was as I don't believe it's publicly available information, but the 'U' has published material that says he "moved back to Minnesota to be near his grandmother and play for the Gophers". Moving back to your hometown to be near a sick loved one would be something that could be met with sympathy from the Committee and deemed to be an extraordinary or extreme hardship.

Mbakwe did not sit out a transfer year, so there's not much of a comparison to Royston's situation. Had things developed differently, there would have been a unique argument to make that, while a long shot, would have been worth a try for Mbakwe. However, that argument doesn't work any longer. Not going to get into details (don't have any new information, already has been discussed) of that argument here, but feel free to drop me a PM if you have a question.

Wow, I guess I had a senior moment there...temporarily forgetting that Mbakwe didn't sit out due to his transfer but rather being forced to sit out by the U due to his legal problem in Florida.

Now I forget the legal ramifications of how he settled with the Florida DA and I am not inclined to look it up. Nonetheless, I can see where there might be some consideration by the NCAA that it was not Trevor's fault that he was implicated in a crime where he may have been misidentified. Thus the unproven crime "charges" may be treated as a hardship. I suspect that Trevor has also helped himself with the NCAA by getting his degree.

With Our Luck...

He is granted a 6th year and enrolls at another school using the Grad School Transfer rule.

You don't think Pastner is going to have someone get ahold of him if he's granted a 6th year???

He is granted a 6th year and enrolls at another school using the Grad School Transfer rule.

You don't think Pastner is going to have someone get ahold of him if he's granted a 6th year???

Literally can't happen.

Looks like if he were to be awarded a 6th year, he'd at least be open to the possibility of returning.

TMbakwe32 Trevor Mbakwe
“@presbi @TMbakwe32 are you gonna medical redshirt or enter next year's draft?” Won't know till I start my rehab

FYI

“@TMbakwe32: I wonder for Xmas this year if I will be granted a sixth year lol #wishfulthinking”

I would be pretty damn excited if we had Trevor coming back next year.

Top Bottom