60+ Gophers Fball Players To Shave Heads, Raise Money For Pediatric Cancer Research

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Gophers To Shave Heads, Raise Money For Pediatric Cancer Research
More than 60 football players, one volleyball player to get their heads shaved on Oct. 29

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102012aac.html

University of Minnesota student athletes from the football team and volleyball team will have their heads shaved on Oct. 29 to raise money and awareness for pediatric cancer research.

Minnesota wide receiver Connor Cosgrove, who is battling leukemia, conceptualized the idea and immediately got more than 60 of his teammates to commit to shaving their heads for the cause. Senior setter Mia Tabberson of the volleyball team has also committed to shave her head. In addition, assistant director to Student-Athlete Welfare Anissa Lightner, who works closely with Gopher student athletes in community relations and charitable giving, will be shaving her head.

The Gophers are partnering with St. Baldrick's Foundation to raise money and awareness. The St. Baldrick's Foundation is a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and give survivors long and healthy lives.

A public service announcement featuring Cosgrove and senior linebacker Mike Rallis (who has not had a haircut in four years) will run in-stadium during the Oct. 27 home football game against Purdue. On Saturday, Oct. 27, fans are able to text the word HERO to 27722 to donate $5. Fans are able to donate up to five times per phone. The text donations will only be operational on Oct. 27.

However, fans can donate immediately online at http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/575824/2012 to support the football team or at http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/575460/2012 to support Tabberson and Lightner. When fans make a donation on the football page they are encouraged to write what member of the football team they are supporting in the "Recognition Information" section.

Donations will also be accepted prior to Minnesota's home volleyball match against Illinois on Sunday, Oct. 28, at Williams Arena. At this time, fans will also be able to purchase a Gophers Clips Cancer t-shirt for $10. Fans will be able to get into the volleyball match for free with a football ticket stub from the Oct. 27 Purdue game.

Tabberson and members of the football team will be shaving their heads on Oct. 29. A location, time and schedule will be announced in the near future.

Tabberson and members of the football team will be available to discuss their participation at 12:30 p.m. on Oct. 23 in the football team room following coach Jerry Kill's weekly press conference.

Go Gophers!!

I just absolutely love this. To get over 60 of them to do this, really shows a lot of character and support. After a rough week in Gold Country - I wish this would get as much PR as the controversial stuff...I know it won't happen, but would be nice!

I heard about Rallis but did not hear if Gray would cut his hair.

He's gonna need a smaller helmet now.

Where is the video of Rallis and others cutting their hair? I was told that they did it live on KSTP?

Where is the video of Rallis and others cutting their hair? I was told that they did it live on KSTP?

I've been looking for it on the KSTP website but can't find it. You'd think this would be available to view online.

I am bald too, not by choice. Is there a chance that Mia Tabberson would meet me and see what a really natural bald head is?

Years ago I went to a barber. I told him he should give me a discount because of the small horseshoe head of hair.

He told me he had to charge more because he had to take extra time to search for hair.

Wow that picture of Cooper wearing Rallis hair

That is enough hair to create a wig. It even looks like a wig on Coopers head.
I hope they saved the good hair for donations to the foundations that create wigs for cancer paitents. Say's a lot about Rallis that he would give up his hair for a friend in Cosgrove, and do this event especially hair that took
four years to grow. Guess it will take him four years to grow it back, but it never grows back the same.
He Rallis had a borderline Lions mane of hair going. The Gophers that volunteered for this a big "hat's of to thee" is and congratulations for helping out a teamate, you men and women are of the finest in character and order. Go Gophers

I hope they saved the good hair for donations to the foundations that create wigs for cancer paitents. Say's a lot about Rallis that he would give up his hair for a friend in Cosgrove, and do this event especially hair that took
four years to grow. Guess it will take him four years to grow it back, but it never grows back the same.
He Rallis had a borderline Lions mane of hair going. The Gophers that volunteered for this a big "hat's of to thee" is and congratulations for helping out a teamate, you men and women are of the finest in character and order. Go Gophers

Amen, and being finest in character and order deserves a fine, upper level Bowl game this year, and the bigger and better in the future.

Go Gophers!!!

I actually wondered the same thing, as I saw them cut Mia's hair for locks of love. I asked Joe Schmit about that today, if Rallis was donating. I guess he had like huge knots and like a dread lock in his hair...he apparently doesn't comb it, so it was not locks of love worthy! I'm thinking short hair will be good for him :)

I actually wondered the same thing, as I saw them cut Mia's hair for locks of love. I asked Joe Schmit about that today, if Rallis was donating. I guess he had like huge knots and like a dread lock in his hair...he apparently doesn't comb it, so it was not locks of love worthy! I'm thinking short hair will be good for him :)

GL, I can vouch for the fact that short hair, (what one has of it) is good for anyone. 1. Save money on shampoo. One does NOT need to lather, rinse, repeat--just lather and rinse. 2. After shampoo...no need for Conditioner...Conditioner is a scam product. 3. It is soooooo easy to brush your hair, anywhere, anytime, No More Tangles. 4. A naturally balding man is a sign of plenty of testosterone!!!! :)

Top Bottom