6.8 seconds left in regulation and NO TIMEOUT????

gopherinpain

Banned
Reaction score
horrible decision by Tubby not to take one. Maverick going coast-to-coast was hilariously bad.

Don't think they had one. BTN graphic was wrong according to Jackson.

Last year (forgot which game) Tubby called a timeout and got ripped on this board.

Most coaches are 50/50 on that. Most fans rip what doesn't work.

Personally, I prefer let them go, hopefully guys penetrate as opposed to jacking up a 3.

Go Gophers!!

Agree with Bleed. Its a no win situation for a coach. Fans rip anything if it doesnt work. I like to let them play, a better shot at catching the defense out of position.

Last year (forgot which game) Tubby called a timeout and got ripped on this board.

Personally, I prefer let them go, hopefully guys penetrate as opposed to jacking up a 3.

Go Gophers!!

Tubby should get plenty of ripping for how he handled this winnable opportunity but I agree on letting them play it out. Six seconds allow the defense too easy an opportunity to set up. It's different in the NBA where they give you the half court pass in.
Bottom line on Tubby is he isn't winning enough big games like this in the Big Ten.

It depends on the make up of your team. If you have a few guys that can handle the ball and get their own shot off, let them go. Since we get most of our points by running offensive sets, a timeout probably would have been best.

Tubby should get plenty of ripping for how he handled this winnable opportunity.

Please explain how Tubby screwed this game up? I think he got the team in position to win after being down early. But then, he should be blamed for being down early. But then, he should be praised for putting his team in a position to win at end of regulation. But we should rip him for Welch missing free throws.

Rouser said:
Please explain how Tubby screwed this game up? I think he got the team in position to win after being down early. But then, he should be blamed for being down early. But then, he should be praised for putting his team in a position to win at end of regulation. But we should rip him for Welch missing free throws.

+1. This was the first road game of the year, they came out shooting terrible, but fought through it until they made a run. Missed too many bunnies over the course of the game, but I don't see how this can be placed on Tubby. Gophers had multiple chances to close out the game.

I blame him for a 32-41 record in the B10 and in his fifth year as coach the program has not improved while the Wisconsin's of the world are always top notch.

gopherinpain said:
I blame him for a 32-41 record in the B10 and in his fifth year as coach the program has not improved while the Wisconsin's of the world are always top notch.

So in other words you had your mind made up on whose fault it was long before this game/season started. Bravo.

Go Gophers!!

Westbrook, Michigan 2 years ago, senior day. Knocks in a long 3 about half a second after the TO

no, but it is just another example of Tubby's "team" not getting the job done in the B10.

Tubby should get plenty of ripping for how he handled this winnable opportunity but I agree on letting them play it out. Six seconds allow the defense too easy an opportunity to set up. It's different in the NBA where they give you the half court pass in.
Bottom line on Tubby is he isn't winning enough big games like this in the Big Ten.

Then every coach for the last 25 years should get ripped for the futility at Illinois, except Tubby has the only win there.

The program has improved. He took a 9 win team to the NIT the following year with 20 wins and went to the NCAA Tournament twice in a row after that. You cannot argue that he improved the program. You can, however, argue that the program has not improved since year 2-3 under Tubby. And why do you blame Tubby for the "Wisconsin's of the world" being top notch?

I don't mind the no timeout there, I do mind Maverick taking the last shot.

Agree with Bleed. Its a no win situation for a coach. Fans rip anything if it doesnt work. I like to let them play, a better shot at catching the defense out of position.

Of course fans rip anything that doesn't work. In competitive sports, it is the coach's job to do what does work. There are countless considerations going into every situation, and the coach gets the big bucks to make the right call.

Tubby can't do anything about Welch missing the FT. But you couldn't see that the players look gassed? Could you tell that Welch was a bit deflated after the missed freethrows and perhaps needed a breather? I thought his subsitution patterns were goofy start to finish. If you win enough doing it and it works- fine. But we don't. Great effort by the Gophers tonight, but no win.

Have you EVER seen the Gophers come out of a timeout and run a legitimate play? It's either a turnover or someone dribbling around until the shot clock or game clock runs out. That's either poor coaching or absolutely horsecrap execution. But it happens all the time. At least get someone in the game with the ball who's a threat to score, not Maverick.

big10guy said:
Have you EVER seen the Gophers come out of a timeout and run a legitimate play? It's either a turnover or someone dribbling around until the shot clock or game clock runs out. That's either poor coaching or absolutely horsecrap execution. But it happens all the time. At least get someone in the game with the ball who's a threat to score, not Maverick.

They had multiple layups after timeouts today. Thought they had some great looks.

i take it you skipped the second half. because tubby drew up three big plays out of timeouts in the second half that all turned into immediate points.

Go4 said:
i take it you skipped the second half. because tubby drew up three big plays out of timeouts in the second half that all turned into immediate points.

Exactly. People see what they want to see.

Seriously, did you even watch the game? Just in the 4th quarter they came out of a timeout and executed a perfect pick and roll. Also, for the record, the Gophers did not have a timeout to use with 6.8 seconds to go.

Seriously, did you even watch the game? Just in the 4th quarter they came out of a timeout and executed a perfect pick and roll. Also, for the record, the Gophers did not have a timeout to use with 6.8 seconds to go.

BUT I WANT SOMETHING TO BE ANGRY ABOUT.

. ... But you couldn't see that the players look gassed? Could you tell that Welch was a bit deflated after the missed freethrows and perhaps needed a breather? I thought his subsitution patterns were goofy start to finish. If you win enough doing it and it works- fine. But we don't. Great effort by the Gophers tonight, but no win.

I was there, and I thought Tubby's substitution patterns were fine. In this particular game, he stayed with the hot hands for the most part, and that's why we were able to get back in the game. Also, it appeared to me the Gophers were the team in better shape. Illinois was more gassed than the Gophers. We didn't put them away when we had the opportunity, and we paid the price. Also, a well-officiated game. I barely noticed 'em. ... that's a good thing. A lot to build on, but as last night proved road wins are precious. We gotta' snatch games like that when we get the chance.

A few quick observations.

Ralph and Welch were fantastic, especially in the second half. Also was encouraged by EE's defense against Leonard (a stud). In his brief time on the floor he made it difficult for Leonard. We need more from Austin. Didn't like the shot we got with 6.8, that's plenty of time to get a decent look, but that was simply a case of Mav going out of control and trying to be a hero. Gotta' at least make an attempt to get the ball to one of the guys who SHOULD BE taking the shot.

Glad we have 4 days off before Michigan. We'll need some time to take the sting out of this one. I feel much better about this team now than I did before the game. Bottom line, though, is we gotta' find a way. Beat Michigan.

Agree with SS and EG9. If they even had a TO, wouldn't have cared if it didn't get used. I do care that Mav was the only one to touch the ball in the final 6.8. That should never happen.

I hated the decision not because its a bad choice in and of itself, but because putting the ball in the hands of Maverick there was doomed to fail. I'd rather have Welch, Armelin or one of the Hollins' with the rock than Mav

I hated the decision not because its a bad choice in and of itself, but because putting the ball in the hands of Maverick there was doomed to fail. I'd rather have Welch, Armelin or one of the Hollins' with the rock than Mav

Agree. I was hoping he would sub out Mav for Aremlin or Dre after the first made free throw.

I was thinking Chip would have been a good guy to have in at that time, but thinking back on it, did Chip even play this game? Maybe he did and I just missed it, but I don't recall seeing him on the floor last night.

Top Bottom