6-6 Question

Gopherholefan

Reaction score
If we finish 6-6, are we guaranteed a bowl game? Wasn't Illinois 6-6 last year? Sorry if this has already been brought up.

Illinois was 5-7 last year.

I think 6-6 pretty much assures us a bowl game. Whether it's one of the Big Ten affiliated bowls or an at-large one if there's not enough spots. I'm not positive on that though.

6 wins against BCS pretty much guarantees a bowl,

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SD State is not BCS - which I would mean we would need another win to make the required 6.

6-6 doesn't guarantee us a bowl game. Technically, neither does 7-5. The only guarantee is that seven eligible teams from the Big Ten have bowls awaiting them. If seven go ahead of us (or eight, if the Big Ten gets two teams into the BCS), then we are left to hope for an at-large bid, once all remaining seven-win teams in the country (even seven-win teams from the MAC, Sun Belt, etc.) are given bids.

All that said, if we get to 6-6, chances are we'll be bowling somewhere. Illinois is a lost cause, and though they're playing better recently, both Purdue and Indiana seem destined for losing seasons. That means the Big Ten probably gets eight bowl teams, and if Iowa and Penn State each finish with no more than one loss each, they'll both likely be in a BCS game and that would guarantee us a bowl.

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SD State is not BCS - which I would mean we would need another win to make the required 6.

That rule was waived with the move to 12-game schedules. You're now able to count one win vs. FCS competition each year - previously, it was one every four years. If you play 13 games (i.e. a trip to Hawaii), then you have to win seven.

Never mind - you answered my question - good.

Illinois was 5-7 last year.

I think 6-6 pretty much assures us a bowl game. Whether it's one of the Big Ten affiliated bowls or an at-large one if there's not enough spots. I'm not positive on that though.

Northwestern and Iowa were both 6-6 in the 2007 and DID NOT go to bowl games. It is a bit confusing, but a 6-6 team cannot make a bowl game if there is an available 7-5 team. If there enough spots that all bowl eligible teams in a league have a spot, then a 6-6 team can jump a 7-5 team in the pecking order. But, a 6-6 team cannot take a spot if that would leave a 7-5 team at home.

An at-large berth cannot be given to a 6-6 team if there is an available 7-5 team.

The Big Ten has seven spots locked up. Could be eight if two Big Ten teams make BCS games (possible if IA, OSU and/or PSU finish 11-1 or better). There are six Big Ten teams currently with 5 or more wins right now. There are another 3 with 4 wins (including us).

So, I think there's a real possibility that a 6-6 Minnesota team is left out of the bowl scene.

I think we have to win three games to make sure we're in a bowl game.

Northwestern and Iowa were both 6-6 in the 2007 and DID NOT go to bowl games. It is a bit confusing, but a 6-6 team cannot make a bowl game if there is an available 7-5 team. If there enough spots that all bowl eligible teams in a league have a spot, then a 6-6 team can jump a 7-5 team in the pecking order. But, a 6-6 team cannot take a spot if that would leave a 7-5 team at home.

An at-large berth cannot be given to a 6-6 team if there is an available 7-5 team.

The Big Ten has seven spots locked up. Could be eight if two Big Ten teams make BCS games (possible if IA, OSU and/or PSU finish 11-1 or better). There are six Big Ten teams currently with 5 or more wins right now. There are another 3 with 4 wins (including us).

So, I think there's a real possibility that a 6-6 Minnesota team is left out of the bowl scene.

I think we have to win two games to make sure we're in a bowl game.

TJ - all good info and well said, except the last. Doesn't winning 2 games put us at 6-6?

Just for the fun of it, here's how I'd project it:

1) Iowa 11-1 (Rose Bowl)
2) PSU 11-1 (Fiesta/Sugar Bowl)
3) OSU 10-2 (Cap One)
4) Wisconsin 10-2 (Outback)
5) Michigan 7-5 (Champs)
6) Michigan State 7-5 (Alamo)
7) Minnesota 6-6 (Insight)
8) Northwestern 6-6 (Little Caesar's)

Indiana 5-7
Purdue 3-9
Illinois 2-10

7) Minnesota 6-6 (Insight)
8) Northwestern 6-6 (Little Caesar's)

My concern is that, even though Northwestern doesn't "travel well", the Insight would still choose them over us if we're both 6-6 because we've been there 2 out of the past 3 years.

My concern is that, even though Northwestern doesn't "travel well", the Insight would still choose them over us if we're both 6-6 because we've been there 2 out of the past 3 years.

Certainly possible. Another issue is if the Big Ten only gets one team into a BCS game and the standings finish this way. Would Detroit choose MN or NW?? The odd man out would likely not go bowling. That's why I say it would be great to win three games, get to 7-5, and really solidify a spot for ourselves.

The way the trend is going they may as well let everyone play in a bowl game...just sayin.

Certainly possible. Another issue is if the Big Ten only gets one team into a BCS game and the standings finish this way. Would Detroit choose MN or NW?? The odd man out would likely not go bowling. That's why I say it would be great to win three games, get to 7-5, and really solidify a spot for ourselves.

If we got to that point, I would rather have Northwestern go to Detroit and let us take our chances at filling a spot in a bowl that didn't have one of it's conferences fulfill their obligation. The ACC, Big 12 and Mountain West (if TCU gets into the BCS) may all have trouble filling one or more of their tie-ins. Assuming there isn't a glut of 7-win teams from the small conferences - and there usually isn't - a 6-6 Big Ten team would be awfully desirable for a bowl that's scrambling. And the possible locales, though not ideal, are certainly more desirable than Detroit.

If we got to that point, I would rather have Northwestern go to Detroit and let us take our chances at filling a spot in a bowl that didn't have one of it's conferences fulfill their obligation. The ACC, Big 12 and Mountain West (if TCU gets into the BCS) may all have trouble filling one or more of their tie-ins. Assuming there isn't a glut of 7-win teams from the small conferences - and there usually isn't - a 6-6 Big Ten team would be awfully desirable for a bowl that's scrambling. And the possible locales, though not ideal, are certainly more desirable than Detroit.

I hope you're right, but I think if we aren't part of the Big Ten choices, we'll be out of luck. There coule be a few other 6-6 teams from big conferences that are in our boat that will be more attractive. Maybe an Arkansas, a Tennessee, a Texas A&M, a Washington, etc. Also, I think there's a slight chance that a 7-win team from the MAC or WAC will be without a bowl and (by rule) would trump a 6-6 Minnesota.

Florida Atlantic

If Florida Atlantic who went 6-6 gets invited to a bowl then if we go 6-6, then we definetly will. I guarantee you their fans do not travel as well as ours. They went to the Motor City bowl. If we go 6-6 I guarantee you we will be invited to a bowl. Half the teams in division IA goes to a bowl game.

They went to the bowl game last year with a 6-6 record.

Hey, Gold04, I eagerly await your predictions

They went to the bowl game last year with a 6-6 record.

regarding our next coach's 1st year record, and the years beyond.

It may not have been your call, but wasn't this year supposed to be 9-3 or 10-2? (early 2007 predictions on the GH)

I recall some really precious material in the early weeks of 2007!

If Florida Atlantic who went 6-6 gets invited to a bowl then if we go 6-6, then we definetly will. I guarantee you their fans do not travel as well as ours. They went to the Motor City bowl. If we go 6-6 I guarantee you we will be invited to a bowl. Half the teams in division IA goes to a bowl game.

Each year has its own dynamic. Last year was weird. The Big Ten didn't have enough bowl eligible teams, the SEC didn't either. Therefore, 6-6 Fla Atl got invited to Detroit.

This year, it appears there could be extra bowl eligible teams in the SEC for sure, and then possibly the Big 12, Pac Ten, and Big 10. That would not bode well for a 6-6 MN team that is not locked into a Big Ten partner bowl.

As I said earlier, remember in 2007, when 6-6 Iowa and 6-6 Northwestern did NOT go to bowl games. I think the 2009 dynamic is more like the 2007 dynamic than last year.

But, I could be wrong.

Thanks for all of the info TJ..I didn't realize it was this complicated.

There are at least two additional Bowl games this year I believe. And as far as I know none were eliminated. So I have to think virtually all 6-6 teams from major conferences will get bids. It's kind of a joke really that they keep adding games. In this economy, I wouldn't be surprised if we see 3-4 Bowls fold after this year.

The latest College Football News bowl projections have us in Detroit. They also have two Big Ten teams in the BCS, so if that doesn't happen, we're in no man's land.

There are at least two additional Bowl games this year I believe. And as far as I know none were eliminated. So I have to think virtually all 6-6 teams from major conferences will get bids. It's kind of a joke really that they keep adding games. In this economy, I wouldn't be surprised if we see 3-4 Bowls fold after this year.

This is true. The problem is the two new bowl games have conference tie-ins, so it isn't as simple as that. The only way a major conference 6-6 team gets an at-large is if another conference cannot fulfill its obligations. It appears only the MWC is in danger of not filling its spots. And, then we have to hope there are no 7-5 teams from the MAC or WAC that aren't locked in anywhere (there easily could be). They would automatically get a bid before a 6-6 team. Obviously things can change. But, for us, it would be best to simply win the next three. That makes us a solid bowl team. 6-6 probably gets us into a game, but there are no guarantees.

Every year there are about 2-3 bowls that don't get their spot filled by the conference tie-in. Last year was weird, in that the major conferences didn't fulfill their spots. The Big Ten, the SEC, the PAC Ten didn't have enough. So, 6-6 teams like Northern Illinois (whom we beat) and Florida Atlantic (whom we beat) made it to bowls as at-large teams. That doesn't appear to be the case this year. The Big Ten, SEC, PAC Ten, Big East and Big 12 should fill all of their predetermined spots. So, I don't think (not totally sure) there will be too many at-large availabilities.

OAK STREET

Oak Street,

No one has been closer in making right predictions then me. Period! Here are the predictions I've made and Gopher blogs and what happened!

Game predicitions

1. Masons last season - From the beaches of Florida I made the prediction that we would win our final 3 Big Ten games on gopherhole. Our record at the time was 3-6. We won our last three Bit Ten games and Loon tries to take credit for us winning out.

2. Brewsters first game - Everyone on Gopherhole predicted us to win. I knew Bowling Green had a better team and they also had a veteran team. I predicted us to lose and after the loss Big Al gave out praise in predicting a Bowling Green victory. By the way where is Big Al? He had a very solid football mind.

3. California this year - I said no way are we going to win. Bayfield even backed up that prediction.

4. OSU this year - I said we'd win and I was wrong. I thought this game was going to be Brewster's first big win. You can't win them all.

Season predictions

Masons 10th season - I predicted 8 wins, we won 6, I can't help it when a coach under performs.

Masons 11th season - I know Mase did not coach for an 11th season but I predicted 10 wins if he did. Obviously with a new coach and losing a lot of players during the transition of coaches, I knew in Brewster's 1st year we would be terrible, so I lowered my prediction down to 4 or 5 wins. Art, Loon, and Wren got mad at me for switching but the circumstances had totally changed.

Brewsters first season - I predicted that we'd be terrible and win 4 or 5 games. I couldn't believe it when people were predicting 6 to 8 wins in Brewsters first season on Gopherhole, Gopher Illustrated, radio and other Gopher sites. I was off but a lot closer then anyone I knew.

I made a famous prediction before last season that we'd win 8 games in 08 and 10 in 09, I don't think it was on this site but on the Star and Tribune blog.

Brewsters second season - I was a heck of a lot closer then anyone I knew. No way did anyone think before the season started that we'd come close to 8 wins. People thought it would be impossible to go from 1 win to 8 wins. We won 7 and it shocked the world.

Brewsters third season - We aren't going to win 10. If we had a decent offense this year, we could have won 10 games. Special teams and defense have done well this year. Our defense does not have good stats because they are on the field all game long. Our offense has been pathetic. I thought our offense was going to be a lot better. I missed this year but you can't win them all.

I like to keep my own bowl projections over the course of the season, and I foresee three games that don't have their anchor conferences fulfill their obligations: the EagleBank (Washington D.C.), the GMAC (Mobile) and the Humanitarian (Boise). This is due to the ACC being so completely mediocre - they have nine bowl tie-ins, but shouldn't come anywhere close to qualifying that many teams (I have them only getting seven eligible). I also think the Mountain West will really struggle to fill its games if TCU gets to the BCS - they have five tie-ins, but could only get four eligible (for now, I'm picking San Diego State to go on a little run and make it to six wins, but that will still leave Boise open - if the bottom half of the MWC keeps beating each other, the New Mexico Bowl could be available).

Right now, I have UConn taking the open spot in the EagleBank Bowl, Southern Miss grabbing the GMAC Bowl, and Kansas State taking the Humanitarian Bowl. The biggest threats among small conference teams to reach seven wins, thus taking an at-large bid away from a 6-6 big conference team, would appear to be Western Michigan, Ohio and Middle Tennessee.

I still believe it will all be a moot point - the Big Ten gets two teams into the BCS, and all remaining qualifying teams will take a designated B10 bowl. Ideally, the Gophers beat Michigan State on Saturday and make a strong case to land in the Champs Bowl.

I predicted 0-12 for Brewster's first year and everybody said I was stupid & didn't know anything about Football........

Look what happened.......

No one has been closer in making right predictions then me. Period!

Here's a hint. If you're trying to toot your own horn, you should probably try a better route than listing off several predictions, and then detailing how you were wrong on most of them.

dpodall,

I see your bitterness will never cease. I have to admit you were right about PSU.

dpodall,

Season predictions are a lot harder to be exact then game predictions. Game predictions It's a lot eaiser to be on the spot. Season predictions is a lot harder to be spot on. If your withing a couple of games on season predictions your doing pretty good.

dpodall,

I see your bitterness will never cease. I have to admit you were right about PSU.

Bitterness about what? I have no bitterness. I'm just saying, you're contradicting yourself when you brag about how accurate you are, and then proceed to list off a number of items on which you were mostly inaccurate.

And, furthermore, big deal. For most teams, and most seasons, it's not at all difficult to predict the season record within 2 games before the season. I said 6-6 before this season started. Regardless of what happens the rest of the way, I'm guaranteed to finish within 2 games of the final season record. Excuse me while I separate my shoulder patting myself on the back.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom