5 Years Ago

That's a good piece of information FOT. I would add, the Gophers' resume this season is much stronger than the 2004-05 team's ever was. That team had zero wins of consequence outside of the Big 10, and only had two vs. eventual NCAA qualifiers (Iowa and Wisconsin). This squad already has three wins over sure-fire NCAA squads (Butler, Ohio State, Wisconsin) and has a chance for one or two more (Purdue, maybe Illinois). ... and that's not even counting what we could add to the resume in Indy.

There lies the rub. ... the Gophers likely have to win all these games down the stretch just to make their resume relevant. In large part because a lot of mid-majors are gettin' it done this season, it's going to be a lot harder to get an at-large bid than it was 5 years ago. ... even with the Pac 10's woes.

That's a good piece of information FOT. I would add, the Gophers' resume this season is much stronger than the 2004-05 team's ever was. That team had zero wins of consequence outside of the Big 10, and only had two vs. eventual NCAA qualifiers (Iowa and Wisconsin). This squad already has three wins over sure-fire NCAA squads (Butler, Ohio State, Wisconsin) and has a chance for one or two more (Purdue, maybe Illinois) before heading to Indy.

There lies the rub. ... the Gophers likely have to win all these games down the stretch just to make their resume relevant. In large part because a lot of mid-majors are gettin' it done this season, it's going to be a lot harder to get an at-large bid than it was 5 years ago. ... even with the Pac 10's woes.

I guess that's why they need to expand to 96 teams, right Jim Boeheim? So every major-conference team that's mediocore or better can get thier deserved bid? :rolleyes:

Not that what I think matters, but I do believe that they if they run the table in the B10 reg season they are in regardless of the B10 tourney. I also think that if they go 4-1 the rest of the way and win a game in the B10 tourney they are probably in. Pac 10 is down, SEC is down, there are some at large bids out there, but they need the Mid-Majors to aviod any upsets in their conference tourneys. Do I think they can do it, not from what I have seen this year, but I do think they can lose 2 more games this year and still get in the NCAA's. A win VS Purdue would be huge, as they have such a high RPI. I think if we were going to lose a game in the reg season, I would prefer it be @ Michigan.

All that said, I expect a 3-2 finish and 1-1 in the B10 tourney and look out NIT.

I'm not looking any farther than Saturday night. Provided we take care of business then my ass will start puckering up for Purdue.

That's great advice Blizzard. We owe the Hoosiers, big time. Let's get the next one before we talk about the next one.

Gophers get

to .500 in league play
a win against Purdue OR at Illinois
one win in the tournament

I think we're talking bubble. 9-9 Big Ten teams don't get left home that often, and wins against Butler, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and either Purdue/Illinois would be pretty good. Win four out of the last five, and it's looking really good.

We owe the Hoosiers, big time.

I'm really, really, hoping we slaughter them. I mean by like 40. I don't see it happening though. I had serious reservations about playing them in Indiana and I'm not especially worried about this one, but, they played us pretty close at home last year. I'm just not seeing it much different tomorrow. I think it will be a reasonably high scoring, close game. Dammit.

Good information. It's nice to see you post something Gopher basketball related and not Tubby related for a change.

I do it all the time (Gopher stuff not necessarily about Tubby).

I'm a Purdue fan as alumnus (1974) though.

Reminder...

That season we also finished tied for 4th in the Big Ten. I dont think we can get there this year. Best hope is for #5

I'm not looking any farther than Saturday night. Provided we take care of business then my ass will start puckering up for Purdue.

Saturday shouldn't be any problem. You should be 45 points better then the Hoosiers.

Saturday shouldn't be any problem. You should be 45 points better then the Hoosiers.

Indiana destroyed us and I mean completely on the boards last time. That's my biggest worry.

i would say that there is a difference between the record and the schedule. the 2005 gophers had a couple of good away victories, @ nebraska, @ ohio state. in fact, not a single away victory of note for the gophers this year.

much more importantly are the gopher loses. to miami (85), michigan at home (120), northwestern (90) and indiana (208).

i am not saying that the hopes for the tourney are dead, but i am wondering if the quality victories this year make up for the bad losses.

That's a good piece of information FOT. I would add, the Gophers' resume this season is much stronger than the 2004-05 team's ever was. That team had zero wins of consequence outside of the Big 10, and only had two vs. eventual NCAA qualifiers (Iowa and Wisconsin). This squad already has three wins over sure-fire NCAA squads (Butler, Ohio State, Wisconsin) and has a chance for one or two more (Purdue, maybe Illinois). ... and that's not even counting what we could add to the resume in Indy.

I'm feeling that our most realistic hope is to go 4-1 for the remainder (I just can't fathom running the table- much as I'd enjoy it). That puts us at 10-8 - then win at least 2 in the BTT from the 6th seed position. We'd be sitting 21-12 with a lot of solid wins that point. Still beads of sweat pouring off our brows on Selection Sunday for a pretty decent shot at a bid.

One more thing - there is a way that 10-8 could work with just one win in the BTT. Illinois has a hideous remaining schedule. They play at Purdue, Michigan and OSU and are home to us and Wisky. If we were to beat them on the road and they go 1-4 in their final 5 - we'd be tied at 10-8 and we would have the head to head win. At that point we would be looking fairly strong with a first round bye and a second round W.

I remain confident that 11-7 is good to go- they don't even have to show up for the BTT. :)

Top Bottom