5 offseason priorities for Minnesota football in 2021 (1. Develop those wide receivers)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Phil:

1. Develop those wide receivers
The most glaring change between Minnesota’s illustrious 2019 offensive output and 2020 wasn’t the offensive line that was missing two starters. Nor was it the graduation of storied running backs Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks.

It was the passing game.

En route to an 11-2 finish, the Gophers threw for over 250 yards per game two seasons ago. In 2020, they couldn’t crack 200.

Quarterback Tanner Morgan was off at times. But it became apparent as the season wore on he didn’t always trust receivers not named Rashod Bateman or Chris Autman-Bell.

Go Gophers!!

Odd story in a lot of ways given what has already transpired in the off season.

1. Develop WR - Fair but also doesn't note the transfer WR coming in who should be a nice addition to the mix.
2. Impact defensive add like say maybe a LB - Ummm pretty sure that already happened with Gibbons. Obviously his level of impact remains to be seen but I don't see the coaches bringing in a 1 year guy they don't feel can make an immediate impact on the defense.
3. Kickers - Not sure anyone would disagree that this area needs to be addressed ASAP. Have the punter coming in who can hopefully help but definitely need to find stability at the place kicker position.
4. Healthy O-Line - Umm not really sure where he is going with this one. With Dunlap coming back along with a bunch of the other guys we are going to have a really deep offensive line heading into next season. Not really anything to address as it is happening on its own. Plus if Big Dan comes back as well what will already be a really loaded unit will get another boost.
5. Regular off-season - Another one that really isn't under the teams control. But yeah, eveyone would benefit from a traditional off season and spring practice session.

I think we’ve probably got a sufficient kick-off guy with Dragan Kesich, who stepped in as a true W/O freshman—with a good leg and size. But we seem to have utter uncertainty at FG kicker. Who? How dependable? A continuing problem here, of capabilities and/or confidence, could swing at least two close games from probable win to probable loss. Got to be fixed.

Odd story in a lot of ways given what has already transpired in the off season.

1. Develop WR - Fair but also doesn't note the transfer WR coming in who should be a nice addition to the mix.
2. Impact defensive add like say maybe a LB - Ummm pretty sure that already happened with Gibbons. Obviously his level of impact remains to be seen but I don't see the coaches bringing in a 1 year guy they don't feel can make an immediate impact on the defense.
3. Kickers - Not sure anyone would disagree that this area needs to be addressed ASAP. Have the punter coming in who can hopefully help but definitely need to find stability at the place kicker position.
4. Healthy O-Line - Umm not really sure where he is going with this one. With Dunlap coming back along with a bunch of the other guys we are going to have a really deep offensive line heading into next season. Not really anything to address as it is happening on its own. Plus if Big Dan comes back as well what will already be a really loaded unit will get another boost.
5. Regular off-season - Another one that really isn't under the teams control. But yeah, eveyone would benefit from a traditional off season and spring practice session.
The transfer wr will have to develop as well, I don’t think he hasn’t played a college snap.

Not having Bateman clearly hurt (thanks Captain Obvious), but Tyler Johnson was a premier college receiver and I thought he was Morgan's security blanket. To me, Johnson's absence hurt the passing game the most.

It is an odd story. Not much time put into this one. Number 5 is for every team in the NCCA I would think. Nobody wants Covid issues etc.

I think we’ve probably got a sufficient kick-off guy with Dragan Kesich, who stepped in as a true W/O freshman—with a good leg and size. But we seem to have utter uncertainty at FG kicker. Who? How dependable? A continuing problem here, of capabilities and/or confidence, could swing at least two close games from probable win to probable loss. Got to be fixed.
Dragan was a breath of fresh air. How sad is it that I get excited about a guy that can merely kick it into the end zone. How long it seems like we haven’t had that. Lantz, when healthy, has looked decent. Hopefully he continues to progress.

Morgan is small.
If the OL line does not keep the defensive players out of his face so he can see the passing lanes and also keep his uniform clean having good WRs will not make any difference.

Top Bottom