5 Gopher games on BTN will be streamed online only, and will have a fee

I've got to admit, I've been a strong supporter of the BTN concept from the get-go. Loved it from the start and watch it regularly. It has been awesome.

However, I have to say this is disappointing. This was NOT the deal when this channel was announced. We were told to pressure our cable companies and satellite providers to put it on regular cable so we could see EVERY Big Ten home men's basketball and football game. We really did our part, we watched enough, pressured enough, etc., to force the cable companies to add it (to the tune of 74 million homes!). And, now the BTN has the carriage they so desired, but is now telling us that not every home game will be on. That's BS!

So the spokesman for the "U" states that "we all like to get things for free, but it doesn't cost so much and they'll be available to watch" This in reference to games that are only being shown on the webcasts, not the Big Ten Network, for which consumers pay either through their cable or dish bills. A network that was created to provide Big Ten sports fans with great access to games of their favorite teams. We're not talking about volleyball and wrestling here, we're talking about one of the two sports that most college sports fans pay attention to.

#1-The Big Ten Network deserves to have this blow up in their face
#2-The "U" spokesman needs to take some p.r. classes and have a little more empathy for his fanbase, including a fair number whose computer/internet access isn't ideal

Is there an email address to the U where i can tell them what i think of this? I also plan in the morning on contacting the BTN somehow to also ripp them a new ass.

Thanks for the email address, greatly appreciated!!

I'd like to verify that the "haves" like Michigan State or Ohio State will have as just many of their games being streamed as the Gophers. Or will the Big Ten give them preferred status?

I would GLADLY purchase a school pass if it gave me access to every hockey game.

Rediculous!! Sounds like the problem is that we were one of the schools to get the producing kit to do this. If we hadn't done that, we wouldn't be in this situation.

The main reason I purchased DirecTV a few years ago was to access the BigTen Network. I rarely watch the network except for a Gophers BB or FB game because the rest of the programming is really boring (who watches the BigTen Network in the Spring/Summer?). For a network that has such limited programming to begin with to then charge customers an additional fee to actually watch one of the events they should be carrying on their network is ridiculous.

I don't like watching tv (especially sports) on my TV unless I have to. I hope the BTN at least airs the home opener on tape delay so I can DVR it.

If it were just for the exhibition games I would understand, but our first two actual games? That's ridiculous.

Senser's

Will they be picked up at places like Senser's?

Should we reset the countdown clock for a different game?

"I'm sure there will be [disappointment], but they are available. It's a fairly nominal fee."

That no one will be willing to pay.

The good, not conference games

The bad, its the first few games and chance to see them

I'm a big BTN fan as well, but this is crap.

First of all, I am not on the BTN's side, but if I remember correctly the last 2 years, a portion of the non conference games were not televised. If these are the games they are streaming at least we are not missing anything. The 1 or 2 streamed games the last 2 years, were tough to watch on the computer.

what are the BTN Alternative channels for if not for this kind of overflow? I don't know if I have ever seen something aired on them....BTN is a nice idea but clearly run by money grubbers, idiots, or a mix of both.

I do feel very special to be only 1 of 6 B10 schools with this dilemma. too technologically advanced for our own good. HA.

We have tubby and joe esposito to blame. If we had a non-conference schedule with some more intriguing match-ups we would definitely have to suffer through fewer webcasts.

Hofferette, that Big Ten Ticket is for people outside the US who can't get the regular BTN games.

The fact that the first two games was online only was bad enough. But to ask us to pay for them is just insulting. They still have thier crappy Rotel ads, etc. in the online stream. Us being willing to watch them at all should be good enough.

We'll be selling our slate of non-conference games for pennies on the dollar on ebay this year (I am guessing we are not alone), so those of you that are upset about having to pay 2.95 a game to watch these crappy matchups on the computer can probably get in the building for about the same price.

We'll be selling our slate of non-conference games for pennies on the dollar on ebay this year (I am guessing we are not alone), so those of you that are upset about having to pay 2.95 a game to watch these crappy matchups on the computer can probably get in the building for about the same price.

That's all well and good for those who live close enough to take advantage. For those of us out-state or out-of-state it still sucks.

Wow this is great.

I have now had the Big Ten Network dating back to the beginning of the football season. This Network other than the games is a complete joke. Its the only way to see the Big Ten games or I should say most of the Big Ten games so we put up with it. The problem to me is that the Big Ten is using the games to sell the Network and then puts completely worthless garbage on its air the rest of the time. I thought I would get to see more than what is being shown on the BTN. If the BTN is going to be the home of Big Ten Sports there should be games on and well produced and hosted shows each day of the week. There is more to the fall sports season than just football I thought I would see more volleyball on especially when you see some of the shows they are carrying. I am thrilled to get the games but nothing can compare to the coverage the fans got with MSN back before FSN took over.

PM me if your really interested in selling your non-conference games. I'd love to get into the barn and buy a few off of you.

I'm OK with coming up with ways to promote non-rev sports. I get that and support it. Even perhaps at times at the expense of being able to watch the GG men's BB squad take on the likes of Tennessee Tech. Hell, I personally wouldn't watch that game regardless of how it was available.

What's a real struggle to understand is what biz braintrust developed and approved the streaming media value proposition that ~

• requires a "huge" investment
  • to support a lesser quality viewing platform
  • characterized by inferior "student produced" production values (no offense intended)
  • that fewer people will use
  • and charge an irritatingly small sum to customers who've already made the investment to consume your product via another (superior) distribution channel.

Someone's going to have to run through this one again for me.

Top Bottom