$5 Bits of Broken Chair

Anyone have a running total for how much money has been raised so far. Also I was under the impression that this trophy was hand carried by a group of volunteers between Lincoln and twin cities. This trophy has Legs and a lot of lore and needs to be part of the trophy games by the University.

Anyone have a running total for how much money has been raised so far. Also I was under the impression that this trophy was hand carried by a group of volunteers between Lincoln and twin cities. This trophy has Legs and a lot of lore and needs to be part of the trophy games by the University.
Over 85k with 40k of that coming this year

It isn't already? I seem to remember Fleck embracing it. And it's Nebraska's best trophy. If it hasn't been already.....it will be. No reason for the admin to torpedo something that is popular with both the teams and the fans.

Make this trophy official and eliminate the Bell Wrapped in Menards Trim.

It isn't already? I seem to remember Fleck embracing it. And it's Nebraska's best trophy. If it hasn't been already.....it will be. No reason for the admin to torpedo something that is popular with both the teams and the fans.
Then someone like University prez or AD level need to make a formal announcement. but I just Love the groundswell behind this trophy.

Our message board lights up pretty good when we lose too.... sadly.

I don't blame them for being upset they recruit pretty well they should do better...
But when we loss a team that has been respectable for a decade we don't act like they are a doormat. Minnesota victories over Nebraska has led to them firing two (three?) coaches. They need to look themselves in the mirror and realize that, currently, they are no where near us and haven't been for the better part of a decade.

Then someone like University prez or AD level need to make a formal announcement. but I just Love the groundswell behind this trophy.
My only gripe is that it's not substantial. In the same vein I'd like the victory bell to be scrapped for a legitimately hefty bell, something closer to Floyd's 98 pounds versus the chintzy thing that was able to be broken so easy in '13.

Make this trophy official and eliminate the Bell Wrapped in Menards Trim.
Fricking yes. Even before the Huskers joined the Big Ten, the Gophers had way more history with Nebraska than with Penn State. Having a trophy with the Nittany Lions, especially with them being in another division now, just feels off.

The games have been important in years past based on what it's meant to that season's team. In 2016 it launched Penn State's win streak. In 2019 it was Minnesota's signature win. The contests don't really have rivalry feeling to them, though, the same way Iowa and Wisconsin do, especially with them being in a different division.

I say retire the Bell, and have it put on display in the Big Ten's Chicago office or something, that or the College Football Hall of Fame. Speaking of which, the Slab of Bacon should be put in the College Football Hall of Fame, too.

As for Nebraska, the trophy is one of the recent few that actually came about organically. It's not just a sponsored piece of hardware like some of the others introduced. The Chair was made in a good natured, fun, quirky and modern way. Having a trophy be based on internet fandom makes sense for how college football supporters discuss the game these days.

Since its inception, it's been praised across the internet. Look at how many blogs have celebrated it. Just go to Reddit's CFB page, everyone loves it.

On TOP of that, it's raised tens of thousands of dollars for charity, a charity centered on children's health! I think it would be crazy for the schools not to embrace it and make it official in the next five years.

I think it’s okay to have rivals that don’t have trophys

Minnesota and Purdue and northwestern all I think of as near rivals but they don’t need a trophy to have bad blood

Top Bottom