$4M settlement reached in Iowa football discrimination suit; auditor wants Gary Barta out

Each of the players gets around $180k, while their lawyer gets $1.88M.

:ROFLMAO:

That report became the basis for Solomon-Simmons (a former Oklahoma football player) to lead 13 former players in a suit filed Nov. 13, 2020.

Yep, I'm sure he was so moved by the misdeeds, that he felt compelled to represent them.

That report became the basis for Solomon-Simmons (a former Oklahoma football player) to lead 13 former players in a suit filed Nov. 13, 2020.

Yep, I'm sure he was so moved by the misdeeds, that he felt compelled to represent them.
Like it or not the only way attorneys are likely to spend the time, which is money, and other expenses involved in trying a personal injury suit is by getting a share of the settlement money.
The greater question is why the AD is still employed.
He has been there since 2006 and has multiple discrimination suits filed against the department on his watch.
He must have compromising information on the academic hierarchy at IA.

Lawyers take these cases on a contingency basis. These clients can't afford to pay an hourly rate or even expenses. This is the way the lawyers get paid. No money, no lawyer. No lawyer, no case. No case, no worry for the culprits.

I love the quotes from the coaches in the paper stating how upset they were because they feel the case would have been dismissed. The settlement allows them to say this and save face. If the case goes to court, this is an embarrassment that does not stop for Iowa Football. Iowa fans should be thankful it will only cost the university $2 million. If this goes to trail and Iowa football has a scar on it that would not be quickly removed. Still, can't believe people choose to go there after everything that came out a few years ago.

I love the quotes from the coaches in the paper stating how upset they were because they feel the case would have been dismissed. The settlement allows them to say this and save face. If the case goes to court, this is an embarrassment that does not stop for Iowa Football. Iowa fans should be thankful it will only cost the university $2 million. If this goes to trail and Iowa football has a scar on it that would not be quickly removed. Still, can't believe people choose to go there after everything that came out a few years ago.

Did they do depositions? (It appears they did not)

Those could be nasty with coaches who are used to getting their way…

Kirk going full “You’re goddamn right I did!!!” would be bad.

Like it or not the only way attorneys are likely to spend the time, which is money, and other expenses involved in trying a personal injury suit is by getting a share of the settlement money.
The greater question is why the AD is still employed.
He has been there since 2006 and has multiple discrimination suits filed against the department on his watch.
He must have compromising information on the academic hierarchy at IA.
The lawsuits all seem to stem from Ferentz's program?

How do we know if Barta is even allowed to just up and fire him? I doubt it. President and whatever their Board of Regents is called would probably all have to weigh in (even if just "unofficially" off the record). Boosters would get a say. Etc. He may be fully protected from on high.

And in which case, Barta won't have to lose an ounce of sleep. Doubt this auditor has much clout.

OR maybe it has all been worked out in closed rooms and Barta is going to be scapegoated to give angry Iowa fans something. We know Ferentz isn't ever going to be fired.

The lawsuits all seem to stem from Ferentz's program?

How do we know if Barta is even allowed to just up and fire him? I doubt it. President and whatever their Board of Regents is called would probably all have to weigh in (even if just "unofficially" off the record). Boosters would get a say. Etc. He may be fully protected from on high.

And in which case, Barta won't have to lose an ounce of sleep. Doubt this auditor has much clout.

OR maybe it has all been worked out in closed rooms and Barta is going to be scapegoated to give angry Iowa fans something. We know Ferentz isn't ever going to be fired.
I haven't followed this as closely as others but how does Ferentz still have a job if multiple settlements were from the football program?

My reading was Ferentz was dropped from the case as a defendant, and the board of regents decided to settle rather than go to trial and risk an unfriendly jury. Different incentives and not always aligned between different parties. The money of course is coming out of someone else’s pocket, and if they settle no admission of wrongdoing by charged.

Does everyone survive multiple multimillion dollar settlements and assistants being fired for cause too?
Georgia has team staff members along for deadly races with players… I bet they get raises

Top Bottom