4k Tv

I think $5.95 extra per month
I hope you didn’t pay extra because they don’t charge anything. Unless you upgraded to a DVR in the process, it’s just a straight box swap at no charge.

Super Bowl tonight is pretty.

Comcast's 4k bombed out Sunday, didn't work. I called Comcast and was told it was a system wide problem.

Anyone able to get the game in 4K?

Comcast's 4k bombed out Sunday, didn't work. I called Comcast and was told it was a system wide problem.

I have Xfinity and it worked great. Definitely a big difference between 4K and HD. Only problem was the 4K feed was about 40 seconds behind, which is tough in the days of text messaging and second screens

Good thing Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV+, Amazon, and Disney+ have a ton of stuff in 4K.
What’s “tons” of stuff? What % of new content from 2019 and planned for 2020 will be offered in 4K?

It looks like some OTA stations will be up and running with ATSC 3.0 here by the end of 2020.

Comcast rarely fails....in disappointing.

What’s “tons” of stuff? What % of new content from 2019 and planned for 2020 will be offered in 4K?

Pretty much everything from the sources I listed. The only thing I’ve noticed that isn’t is when Netflix for example puts out a documentary with a bunch of pre recorded, old content clips. HBO is the primary holdout.

I have Xfinity and it worked great. Definitely a big difference between 4K and HD. Only problem was the 4K feed was about 40 seconds behind, which is tough in the days of text messaging and second screens

Same.

Pretty much everything from the sources I listed. The only thing I’ve noticed that isn’t is when Netflix for example puts out a documentary with a bunch of pre recorded, old content clips. HBO is the primary holdout.
Thanks.

I won’t lie, this thread has significantly moved my position on 4K, from hard no to being open to it.

Having $260 55” Roku smart TVs at Costco helps a lot, but also appreciate the enthusiast and advocates that have posted here!

Thanks.

I won’t lie, this thread has significantly moved my position on 4K, from hard no to being open to it.

Having $260 55” Roku smart TVs at Costco helps a lot, but also appreciate the enthusiast and advocates that have posted here!

A couple of times we flipped back and forth from 4k to HD. Somehow we got stuck on HD and didn't notice at first because of beers and bets and food. Then my 14 year old said, "are we not on 4k anymore?" It was noticeable.

I probably won't buy a 4k TV for another 5 years.

Next up for 4K are the NCAA basketball tournaments and championship games, though information on 4K offerings is sketchy. I don't think 4K is quite ready for prime time. As I noted, I couldn't get 4K at all for the Super Bowl on Comcast-XFINITY

OK, so here's how the deal went down.

The word on the street (internet) about Comcast has been:
-the only 4K boxes are DVR boxes
-you're not allowed to just order one online; they have to be provided as part of an in-home tech visit where they evaluate your system to make sure it's suitable
-there's no additional monthly charge for 4K service

So then, I initiate an in-home visit the way they say you should: online chat with Xfinity person online or through their app. Here's how that went:

ME: I'd like to upgrade my DVR box to 4K
MONDOHAR (Xfinity rep): OK, I'll ship one to your home
ME: Wait, what? I thought you only handed them out with in-home service calls
MONDOHAR: Let me check...nope, says here I can just ship you one
ME: Kick ass, when can you get one to me?
Long story short, we decide I'll go grab one at the Xfinity store, avoiding shipping cost and getting one right away. Oh, and I did confirm that it's no extra charge per month.

Act II
ME: Mondohar sent me; here's my old DVR box
PAUL (Xfinity Store guy): I'll go grab your new box; by the way, did you know you're on an old plan?
ME: I did see the new plans in my billing statement; thanks for bringing it up
PAUL: I can triple your Internet speed and get you the same channels for $50 less per month [not an intro rate]
ME: I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down
PAUL: You'll need a new gateway; I'll get you that now, and you can bring the old one back later
ME: It's a deal, my friend

I'd been having trouble with one of my non-DVR boxes, so I figured I was on a rare roll with Comcast and decided to take care of that problem, too.

Act III
ME: I'm back, Jack; I brought you not only my old gateway but also my balky other box
PAUL (again!): Sounds like a dead box alright; I'll switch it out for a wireless non-DVR box that's also 4K capable, just in case you get another 4K TV
ME: Wait, what? I thought the only 4K boxes were DVRs
PAUL: Shows what you know, libtard [no, he didn't actually say this]
ME: My gateway's two floors down from where this'll go; is that too far for wireless?
PAUL: Works in my old house with thick floors and plaster, so no prob

And sure as dang hell, that wireless box works like a champ. I haven't had a chance to seek out any Comcast 4K content yet, but I'll report anything noteworthy. But the bigger picture is that things went about 300% better than I expected: a mostly glitch-free process with Comcast that included getting my bill lowered when I wasn't even trying. If you're ever at the Roseville Xfinity Store, ask for Paul; he's the best and then some.

Then my wife gets home from bar bingo with the ladies, where they won $1,100 and split the winnings, so Saturday was one f*ck of a day.

-you're not allowed to just order one online; they have to be provided as part of an in-home tech visit where they evaluate your system to make sure it's suitable

So then, I initiate an in-home visit the way they say you should: online chat with Xfinity person online or through their app. Here's how that went:

Long story short, we decide I'll go grab one at the Xfinity store, avoiding shipping cost and getting one right away. Oh, and I did confirm that it's no extra charge per month.

Act II
PAUL (Xfinity Store guy): I'll go grab your new box; by the way, did you know you're on an old plan?
PAUL: I can triple your Internet speed and get you the same channels for $50 less per month [not an intro rate]
PAUL: You'll need a new gateway; I'll get you that now, and you can bring the old one back later

I'd been having trouble with one of my non-DVR boxes, so I figured I was on a rare roll with Comcast and decided to take care of that problem, too.

Act III
ME: I'm back, Jack; I brought you not only my old gateway but also my balky other box
PAUL (again!): Sounds like a dead box alright; I'll switch it out for a wireless non-DVR box that's also 4K capable, just in case you get another 4K TV
ME: My gateway's two floors down from where this'll go; is that too far for wireless?

And sure as dang hell, that wireless box works like a champ. I haven't had a chance to seek out any Comcast 4K content yet, but I'll report anything noteworthy. But the bigger picture is that things went about 300% better than I expected: a mostly glitch-free process with Comcast that included getting my bill lowered when I wasn't even trying. If you're ever at the Roseville Xfinity Store, ask for Paul; he's the best and then some.

Then my wife gets home from bar bingo with the ladies, where they won $1,100 and split the winnings, so Saturday was one f*ck of a day.
Everybody deserves a day like your day once in a while. Good work! (y)

Act II

Act III

Local man beats cable company.

Even better: why should you need any “box” at all, just to watch TV and record the shows you want to watch later?

Im glad you had a good experience. But the fact of the matter is that hardware rental pay TV is flatly DOA, with the level of quality you can get in streaming (live TV). The only box any home should ever need to the outside is a modem for data. And that should be a utility, frankly.

Even better: why should you need any “box” at all, just to watch TV and record the shows you want to watch later?

Im glad you had a good experience. But the fact of the matter is that hardware rental pay TV is flatly DOA, with the level of quality you can get in streaming (live TV). The only box any home should ever need to the outside is a modem for data. And that should be a utility, frankly.
My hip and with-it nephew keeps trying to get us to cut the cord, and he's probably right.

I saw a promoted ad on Yahoo that Wal-mart was selling a 65" 4K tv for $432.

If TV's get any cheaper, they will be paying us to take them off of store shelves.

Still would seem awkward to my wife if I start piling up all of our old TV's (including a Panasonic Plasma 42" that works fine) and start replacing them with 65" 4k's everywhere.

My hip and with-it nephew keeps trying to get us to cut the cord, and he's probably right.
Signup with youtube tv.

No reason to be paying Directv or Comcast for TV services unless you have an incredible deal.

I saw a promoted ad on Yahoo that Wal-mart was selling a 65" 4K tv for $432.

If TV's get any cheaper, they will be paying us to take them off of store shelves.

Still would seem awkward to my wife if I start piling up all of our old TV's (including a Panasonic Plasma 42" that works fine) and start replacing them with 65" 4k's everywhere.
Even cheaper at Costco (which has a phenomenal return policy) with TCL brand, that has Roku built in.

I was like you at the start of the thread, but then I actually looked, and the non-sale price of the 4K equivalent replacement of our current living room model was only $260.

Signup with youtube tv.

No reason to be paying Directv or Comcast for TV services unless you have an incredible deal.
The only caveat of course is that he probably gets his ISP through Com-theif as well. So you have to weigh that, or investigate if other options are viable for ISP to your home. I’m very lucky, with USI fiber.

The only caveat of course is that he probably gets his ISP through Com-theif as well. So you have to weigh that, or investigate if other options are viable for ISP to your home. I’m very lucky, with USI fiber.
That's part of the equation, of course. Another part: once in a while, these random channels come in handy, like when the Gophs were playing on the PAC 10 network. Can you get that on YouTube TV? But surely, you say, we'd never ever watch the dang PAC 10 network again in our natural lives! So, I come home this evening and what's my wife the gymnastics junkie watching? A meet on the dang PAC 10 network.

Nope, no PAC. No one has PAC. They have every other sports cable network though.

Dont despair re. limited 4k offerings, such broadcasts will become almost commonplace in a few years.

My younger daughter is back home for spring break / health crisis, and she's got a subscription to Disney+, which has a good many titles in 4K. Watching Frozen 2 this evening, and that's a pretty gorgeous picture.

BTW, I'm gonna come out and say it. I like Frozen 2 better than the original. More witty humor, more laugh-out-louds.

BTW, I'm gonna come out and say it. I like Frozen 2 better than the original. More witty humor, more laugh-out-louds.
The music isn’t as good, though. My 4 year old daughter doesn’t care, but I do when I have to hear her singing constantly.

My younger daughter is back home for spring break / health crisis, and she's got a subscription to Disney+, which has a good many titles in 4K. Watching Frozen 2 this evening, and that's a pretty gorgeous picture.

D+ free trial was great for binging the Mandalorian, which was excellent. Didn't see anything else on there at the moment that warrented paying, but glad people are enjoying it.

Top Bottom