43 Years Ago Today: Michigan 0 - 16 Minnesota

RogueGopher

Reaction score
43 years ago today, October 22nd, 1977, Marion Barber and the Golden Gophers beat the number one team in the country,16-0 at home.

I was there. One of the greatest Gopher game days of my life.

The guy in the yellow tam, sunglasses, and binoculars at the 23:12 point is my dad. I couldn't go to the game with him because I had to work. He took my sister, who had never been to a game and was only a bit of a sports fan.

He meant well--he would say things like this that were totally out of context--but at the end of the game he said "I can't believe I wasted a ticket on you!!!"

The guy in the yellow tam, sunglasses, and binoculars at the 23:12 point is my dad. I couldn't go to the game with him because I had to work. He took my sister, who had never been to a game and was only a bit of a sports fan.

He meant well--he would say things like this that were totally out of context--but at the end of the game he said "I can't believe I wasted a ticket on you!!!"
That's great! I was way up in the student section. Section 9 near the top.

Cal had a pair and a spare in that backfield. Love the background music.

Not to down play Carlson's performance, 6 of 10 in the age of smash mouth football, but if you could redshirt back then Tony Dungy might have been the QB for that game.

I was there myself, until the Penn State game last fall that Michigan game was my top game attended since 1974. I have to bump that glorious 1977 Michigan game down to #2 now since the Penn State game last fall. 43 years ago seems like maybe 15 to 20 years? Where do the years go?

I was hunting grouse near Park Rapids, difficult spot to get a radio signal. We concluded about mid afternoon and found 'CCO, Ray mentioned the Gophers up 16 - 0. I was SO stunned and SO mad I had missed that game. Then I just smiled.

I was there as well, one of my fondest Gopher memories. I have the Terrance Forgarty print of this game as well

Top Bottom