4 Teams That Would Most Benefit From Skipping 2020 CFB Season (#4. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Michael:

The college football season taking place as scheduled in 2020 is by no means a sure thing at this juncture, as major conference commissioners have confirmed that games will only be played on campus if students are allowed to return amid the coronavirus pandemic. As harsh as that reality sounds, it could help out these four programs, as they are struggling to piece together solid 2020 recruiting classes despite their success in getting big names in line for 2021.

4. Minnesota

The recent success of PJ Fleck and Tanner Morgan hasn't moved the needle much in 2020, as the Golden Gophers' class ranks 36th according to 247, which is behind the likes of West Virginia and Iowa. 2021, however, is a much different story, as they are in the top 20, ahead of schools like Florida State, Oregon, and even defending champions LSU. The Gophers might be able to sustain their success into the next decade based on how 2021 is shaping up.

Go Gophers!!

I understand a national writer thinking this. To them 2019 was just a one and done miracle season. From our perspective it was the beginning of something special and we can't see us going backward (less than 9 wins) this year. If we can beat WI or IA or both this year and get more than 9 wins I am thinking recruiting goes up even another level. Can't wait for 2020 season.

Hmmm.... how do you define "momentum" again?

I don't think that taking a year off helps momentum.

If anything, it does the opposite - it puts the success of 2019 a year further in the rear-view mirror.

The only way that I could see a year off helping a program would be if the program is struggling, extremely young, or if key players are dealing with injury issues.

The Gophers do not fall into any of those categories.

Indeed - if you buy into the notion that 2020 could be Bateman's last year, you definitely want the Gophers to play this year.

Arguably anyone with uncharacteristic levels of success would apply here ... if only because of a risk of a down year relative to the next.

Still I don't think think that risk means you're better off if you don't play...

Agree with pretty much all of what folks are saying here. The Gophers again have a pretty favorable schedule this year. Even if you don't believe they will be as good as last year, they still could get as many wins.

A coach I think it could benefit is Scott Frost. I really am not expecting the major turnaround this year everyone else seems to expect. I think he could be on very shaky ground next year. A year without football would allow people to forget how bad he's been there, and the hype can start all over again.

Hmmm.... how do you define "momentum" again?

I don't think that taking a year off helps momentum.

If anything, it does the opposite - it puts the success of 2019 a year further in the rear-view mirror.

The only way that I could see a year off helping a program would be if the program is struggling, extremely young, or if key players are dealing with injury issues.

The Gophers do not fall into any of those categories.

Indeed - if you buy into the notion that 2020 could be Bateman's last year, you definitely want the Gophers to play this year.

“People get on me all the time about this word ‘momentum,’ I don’t believe in that.” - PJ Fleck, August 2019

We open the 2021 schedule playing tOSU and go to Colorado in OOC. I would prefer not to just skip over the year where we play three OOC games at home and our toughest crossover is vUM.

Last edited:

I dunno recruiting on Zoom instead of hosting recruits for 40 degree April football seems to be working. A couple more years of a virtual program and Covid can be what the Great Depression was to Gopher football in the 1930s.

Stupid article. The writer is basing this entirely on recruiting classes. Our recruiting ranking from this past year does not translate to success on the field THIS YEAR. We've got the talent to continue what was started last year....and the team should have a top-20 ranking out of the gates.

Terrible take. A middling team climbing into the upper tier of college football shouldn't want to pause anything.

per Michael:

The college football season taking place as scheduled in 2020 is by no means a sure thing at this juncture, as major conference commissioners have confirmed that games will only be played on campus if students are allowed to return amid the coronavirus pandemic. As harsh as that reality sounds, it could help out these four programs, as they are struggling to piece together solid 2020 recruiting classes despite their success in getting big names in line for 2021.

4. Minnesota

The recent success of PJ Fleck and Tanner Morgan hasn't moved the needle much in 2020, as the Golden Gophers' class ranks 36th according to 247, which is behind the likes of West Virginia and Iowa. 2021, however, is a much different story, as they are in the top 20, ahead of schools like Florida State, Oregon, and even defending champions LSU. The Gophers might be able to sustain their success into the next decade based on how 2021 is shaping up.

Go Gophers!!

Stupid reasoning. We have MOE on our team and in our program. Fleck would laugh at this article.

I'm not havin' this subject. We want football in Gopher Country

Did this guy look at our schedule before writing this? We have very little to fear here. especially with all of our OL, QB, Highest rated WR and RB in the league coming back and apparently the 9th best recruiting class in the nation at the moment! Yeah! let's play some football!

Top Bottom