4 star DE

Sotakid

Reaction score
i dont have the membership to rivals but i saw on there that there is now a 4* DE on the radar. when looking through their threads it mentions Craig Drummond. i dont know if he is who they are talking about. if someone does subscribe there could they please fill me in

I know drummond is a solid verbal to illinois, so if we can lure him away from there that'd be great.

We offered him a long time ago but he only visited Wisconsin and Illinois before committing to Illinois. He was considered a solid verbal to Illinois until he scheduled a visit to Ole Miss. There are rumors he may take a trip to Minnesota and/or Tennessee but nothing is confirmed.

There are rumors that he wasnt going to be omitted to Ill due to grades and UW told him no thanks either. He had said he wanted to start school and that probably means he didnt have the required core classes completed in order to get into UW or Ill. It seems weird that if he wasnt going to be able to get in for the spring he would just take the spring in high school to full fill his requirements and go to Ill in the fall. I would find it hard to believe that if he wasnt going to be omitted to UW or Ill that he would be able to get in UM.

now it says minnesota and oregon in a fight for drummond. i hope like crazy we can sign this kid and get him into class. could end starting for us as a freshman. maybe the firing of their DL coach has something to do with this or maybe he just took a look at our roster and thought that he could see the field early here for an up and coming team

this would be a huge get..........because i still feel we are greatly lacking up front

our linebackers are going to be much better in a couple of years, same with our secondary

our donw 4 concerns me though.....add beau allen next year and all of a sudden we could be in business

Go get him Brew!

Someone mentioned in the Scout forum that he might not get into Ill. due to grades. If he cannot get into that school, I have no idea how he would make it through the admissions office at the U. They seem to make blocking top athletes from entering the U a yearly ritual (though I confess that most of it is legit since they do have NCAA and BT standards of admissions to uphold as far as I know), especially in regards to the Football and BB programs!

now it says minnesota and oregon in a fight for drummond. i hope like crazy we can sign this kid and get him into class. could end starting for us as a freshman. maybe the firing of their DL coach has something to do with this or maybe he just took a look at our roster and thought that he could see the field early here for an up and coming team

That would be Ogeron, the D-line coach from Tennessee. He's Kiffen's recruiting coordinator and D-line coach and formerly held the same post at USC before failing as a head coach at Ole Miss. It's no new information than the previous post that said Tennessee and Minnesota were amongst the schools rumored to be going after him. Tennessee has made some high profile hires so this would fit in to the philosophy of competing with the best of the best for recruits.

And to the poster that said he was couldn't get "omitted" to Illinois...really, "omitted?" I think the work you were looking for was admitted.

The reason that Drummond is rumored to be looking around is because it is rumored that Illinois wouldn't admit him for spring classes. He is said to be an academic qualifier so the circumstances seem a little strange. After Illinois didn't let him in for the spring he is said to have contacted Wisconsin but they said they already have their full allotment of DE's (that is actually the position they recruited the best in 2009). That is where Ole Miss, Minnesota and Tennesse come in as potential candidates for his services.

This is all rumor and nothing has been confirmed so don't go and get your hopes up that we're bringing in a new 4 star DE or that this is a sign that Eguae is going elsewhere.

And it is extremely rare for a true freshman to come in and play DE so I wouldn't expect that he is going to be a starter for us in 2009 if we do get him as a commitment. Anthony Jacobs (redshirt soph to be, 4 star from 2007 class) is much more likely, Cedric McKinley (senior) lit it up at the Insight Bowl is much more likely and Derek Onwauchi (senior, returning starter) is also much more likely. If Drummond or Eguae commit maybe they can work in to playing time but I'm guessing either would probably red shirt.

Your right grunkiejr, hit the wrong word in spell check.

As I said before, if he isnt getting into Ill it most likely has to do with his core classes and not his grades. You would think that Ill, UW and UM would have the same core class requirements to get into school. JUCO transfers have the same problem and that is why they are hard to get in. UW I know has very strict standards for transferring students which are different from other states schools which is why you rarely see JUCOs and Wisconsin.

I would also add that it seems strange that he would be so hard pressed to start spring classes unless he graduated already from high school. You would think that if he was so solid for Ill he would wait till the summer to start there.

wait a minute

wisconsin turned him down because they have their full allotment of DE's

this is the number 13 ranked DE in the entire country

there is no way wisconsin tells him that

Your right grunkiejr, hit the wrong word in spell check.

As I said before, if he isnt getting into Ill it most likely has to do with his core classes and not his grades. You would think that Ill, UW and UM would have the same core class requirements to get into school. JUCO transfers have the same problem and that is why they are hard to get in. UW I know has very strict standards for transferring students which are different from other states schools which is why you rarely see JUCOs and Wisconsin.

No problem, that makes sense for the typographical error. It just made me laugh when I saw it a second time in the post.

If what you are saying is true that makes more sense because he was said to have been an academic qualifer (SAT/GPA combo). The NCAA has core requirements that every player must meet and I have no idea if the U of M, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc are different from one another or if they are more stringent than the NCAA standards. I know they have higher academic standards than SEC schools but we're talking about having core courses and not the GPA/SAT. The answer could lie in solving that question.

I'm sure we'll get more information in the next week because others heard that there was going to be a "high profile" visit coming up after this weekend. Combine the two rumors and we may be on to something.

wait a minute

wisconsin turned him down because they have their full allotment of DE's

this is the number 13 ranked DE in the entire country

there is no way wisconsin tells him that

For some reason Rivals is down so I can't check it but I believe Wisconsin already has 2 4 star DE's committed. One is from Florida and he is in the top 250 (conspiracy theory: He is overrated, his coach runs the Rivals camp in Florida and his offer list from BCS schools is one of if not the worst in the Rivals 250).

Actually, I think what the original poster said was that Wisconsin's class is full so I may have just tweaked it thinking that it meant they are full on DE's.

That would be Ogeron, the D-line coach from Tennessee. He's Kiffen's recruiting coordinator and D-line coach and formerly held the same post at USC before failing as a head coach at Ole Miss. It's no new information than the previous post that said Tennessee and Minnesota were amongst the schools rumored to be going after him. Tennessee has made some high profile hires so this would fit in to the philosophy of competing with the best of the best for recruits.

And to the poster that said he was couldn't get "omitted" to Illinois...really, "omitted?" I think the work you were looking for was admitted.

The reason that Drummond is rumored to be looking around is because it is rumored that Illinois wouldn't admit him for spring classes. He is said to be an academic qualifier so the circumstances seem a little strange. After Illinois didn't let him in for the spring he is said to have contacted Wisconsin but they said they already have their full allotment of DE's (that is actually the position they recruited the best in 2009). That is where Ole Miss, Minnesota and Tennesse come in as potential candidates for his services.
This is all rumor and nothing has been confirmed so don't go and get your hopes up that we're bringing in a new 4 star DE or that this is a sign that Eguae is going elsewhere.

And it is extremely rare for a true freshman to come in and play DE so I wouldn't expect that he is going to be a starter for us in 2009 if we do get him as a commitment. Anthony Jacobs (redshirt soph to be, 4 star from 2007 class) is much more likely, Cedric McKinley (senior) lit it up at the Insight Bowl is much more likely and Derek Onwauchi (senior, returning starter) is also much more likely. If Drummond or Eguae commit maybe they can work in to playing time but I'm guessing either would probably red shirt.

I like the thought of that!

This issue as I understand it isn't that he won't be qualified, its that he wants to enroll early and as of right now he can't do that at Ill. He won't have an issue getting into school in the fall.

wisconsin does indeed have two 4* DEs in this class. the kid from florida is a kid we recruited and goes to the same HS as the geffard twins and the WR reese. david gilbert is his name i believe. the other DE is from wisconsin. grunkiejr im sorry but if you think drummond would redshirt here i think you need to look at the depth chart. for us derek has not performed at all. has started alot of games and really hasnt done much. mckinley did have a good bowl game and some say it takes a juco a little while to get used to the speed of the game but if you are counting on him to be our next willie you are mistaken. i do hope he is though cause i was high on him coming here. jacobs seems to have the straight line speed and the strength but to be a DE you need burst which im not sure he has. i think he'll eventually end up at DT or SDE. did ill not fire their D-line coach? are they going after larry johnson to be there d-co? also why would drummond redshirt other then to focus mostly on school? he has the size, speed, strength and burst. he also looked pretty good in the AA game. if he is "admitted" this year he will play if not start for us right away

BTW- i do know who ogeron is

Word of advise, when correcting grammatical errors of others you may want to check you own posts too. Sorry grunkiejr, I couldn't resist.

Word of advise, when correcting grammatical errors of others you may want to check you own posts too. Sorry grunkiejr, I couldn't resist.

Right finger, wrong hand. :D

I only did it because "omitted" appeared twice instead of "admitted" so it wasn't just a grammatical error. I thought I'd have some fun with it.

And, right back at you...word of "advice" not "advise." We might just have this continue all day long.

Actually, I think what the original poster said was that Wisconsin's class is full so I may have just tweaked it thinking that it meant they are full on DE's.

When a school wants to drop a recruit nicely often they will just say they are full up at his position. This is another case that the rumors just do not make sense. No school is going to blow off a stud DE for no reason. That is one of the toughest position to recruit.

Once again if Brewster is bottom feeding with these marginal academic cases it is only going to come back to bite him and the gophers later.

Once again if Brewster is bottom feeding with these marginal academic cases it is only going to come back to bite him and the gophers later.

What do you mean once again? He had 2 kids out of 30 that didn't qualify last year (I believe). Considering we have higher academic standards than the south, that isn't bad. Who is the 'once' since you are saying 'once again'?

When a school wants to drop a recruit nicely often they will just say they are full up at his position. This is another case that the rumors just do not make sense. No school is going to blow off a stud DE for no reason. That is one of the toughest position to recruit.

The last thing I would call this is bottom feeding...

Ok, Rivals is back up so I can finally check the data. Wisconsin has 4 DE's already committed in this class including 2 of their top 3 rated players. The existing DE commits are ranked #12, #16, #28 & #64. If they kick one of the lower rated recruits out of the class they risk burning a bridge in Ohio or Wisconsin which are two pretty important markets for Wisconsin recruiting.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2009&School=97

It sounds like they have a good reason to blow off a stud DE because recruiting 5 in one class is a little bit overkill. They had 4 in last year's class too so that would be bringing in 9 DE's in two seasons. I'm guessing 9 DE's is what most teams have in their entire program and Wisconsin would have that in just underclassmen.

What do you mean once again? He had 2 kids out of 30 that didn't qualify last year (I believe). Considering we have higher academic standards than the south, that isn't bad. Who is the 'once' since you are saying 'once again'?

I am refering in part to the mystery recruitment of Edwards. What is the full story there?

It's not just the non qualifiers I am thinking about. Break down the status of Brewster's 2007 class. Rivals lists 25 signees. How many are still on campus? 10? 12? Now I know it was his first class and it's not entirely fair comparison but the reports of multiple marginal academic guys troubles me. Bringing in a bunch of questionable guys will KILL the program. Guaranteed!

I am refering in part to the mystery recruitment of Edwards. What is the full story there?

It's not just the non qualifiers I am thinking about. Break down the status of Brewster's 2007 class. Rivals lists 25 signees. How many are still on campus? 10? 12? Now I know it was his first class and it's not entirely fair comparison but the reports of multiple marginal academic guys troubles me. Bringing in a bunch of questionable guys will KILL the program. Guaranteed!

Brewster didn't have a 2007 class, he was not hired until January. He added his son Clint who left due to lack of playing time, the Kansas State De-committ who left due to lack of playing time, 2 WR's in Herndon and Spry that left due to lack of playing time and Howell who left due to multiple issues.

Take a look at the 2006 and 2005 classes and see how many of those guys are left.

wisconsin does indeed have two 4* DEs in this class. the kid from florida is a kid we recruited and goes to the same HS as the geffard twins and the WR reese. david gilbert is his name i believe. the other DE is from wisconsin. grunkiejr im sorry but if you think drummond would redshirt here i think you need to look at the depth chart. for us derek has not performed at all. has started alot of games and really hasnt done much. mckinley did have a good bowl game and some say it takes a juco a little while to get used to the speed of the game but if you are counting on him to be our next willie you are mistaken. i do hope he is though cause i was high on him coming here. jacobs seems to have the straight line speed and the strength but to be a DE you need burst which im not sure he has. i think he'll eventually end up at DT or SDE. did ill not fire their D-line coach? are they going after larry johnson to be there d-co? also why would drummond redshirt other then to focus mostly on school? he has the size, speed, strength and burst. he also looked pretty good in the AA game. if he is "admitted" this year he will play if not start for us right away

BTW- i do know who ogeron is

I just gave the explanation of Ogeron because you had written Oregon so I thought you were assuming somebody else mistyped it.

Maybe you're right, maybe he is good enough to play next year. I just don't ever assume that freshman that play on the OL or DL will play, and I usually assume they will redshirt. You're probably right, after looking at his Rivals profile it looks like he is already at playing weight a DE in the Big Ten. Obviously, he'll still benefit immensely by adding muscle down the road.

Top Bottom