4 plays...

book

Reaction score
that drove me nuts... 1. After holding Nebr. to a field goal, we get a nice 1st down run from nelson for 2nd and
and then Kirkwood gets a nice pass in the flat and instead of cutting back to the middle
for an esay 1st down, he goes wide for a loss which leads to many 3 and outs...
2. 9 yard punt - have we ever had a good kicker?
3 and 4.... pass caught and dropped into a int. and of course the tipped passed for
a defensive td - both passes should have been caught...

How about the the 2nd and 15 incomplete with a PI for an automatic FD. I could rattle off about 13 plays that didn't go our way that could have changed the game.

that drove me nuts... 1. After holding Nebr. to a field goal, we get a nice 1st down run from nelson for 2nd and
and then Kirkwood gets a nice pass in the flat and instead of cutting back to the middle
for an esay 1st down, he goes wide for a loss which leads to many 3 and outs...
2. 9 yard punt - have we ever had a good kicker?
3 and 4.... pass caught and dropped into a int. and of course the tipped passed for
a defensive td - both passes should have been caught...

The Kirkwood play you mentioned could actually be the most angry/pissed I've been during a game this year. Unbelievable that an RB of his style/frame can think he can bounce it outside against a Nebraska defense. Maddening

The Kirkwood play you mentioned could actually be the most angry/pissed I've been during a game this year. Unbelievable that an RB of his style/frame can think he can bounce it outside against a Nebraska defense. Maddening

Agree with you. My jaw just fell to the floor after that play. I knew we were in for a long day at that point.

Yep!that kirkwood play too.
Nelson completed his first 5 passes and if we could have sustained some drives by converting a few 3rd and reasonable situations it wouldn't have been as ugly.

I screamed at the TV at that play. I couldn't believe it either. If he turns up field and runs he gets 3 yards AT LEAST. Then, there is your first 1st down, No idea what he was thinking trying to 'bounce it outside'. Just a very terrible decision by Kirkwood. :banghead: My TV is also fortunate my remote control didn't end up going through it after that play. HAHA. :)

Chuck this one up as a learning experience for next year. No excuses. They were out played and over matched.

hungan1 said:
Chuck this one up as a learning experience for next year. No excuses. They were out played and over matched.

Who's Chuck?

We need to try one of the backs who had a little more speed to the hole. If we don't have one then we need to recruit one. There haven't been huge holes like some lines create. However, over the course of the season there has been adequate openings for backs to run through. Our backs are slow getting there ... thus the hole closes. Once in the whole they seem to lack the vision on where to cut to.

The last back that I remember that had these skills was a Brewster recruit that couldn't keep out of trouble named Whaley. He was fast and shifty. We need someone like that. Do we have a red-shirt or any players that we are recruiting that fits that bill?

We need to try one of the backs who had a little more speed to the hole. If we don't have one then we need to recruit one. There haven't been huge holes like some lines create. However, over the course of the season there has been adequate openings for backs to run through. Our backs are slow getting there ... thus the hole closes. Once in the whole they seem to lack the vision on where to cut to.

The last back that I remember that had these skills was a Brewster recruit that couldn't keep out of trouble named Whaley. He was fast and shifty. We need someone like that. Do we have a red-shirt or any players that we are recruiting that fits that bill?

KJ Maye?

Barnburner ... I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering if Maye was given as many opportunities would he be able to stand out.

funny. i thought i was the only one who was overly livid on this run by kirkwood. before the game felt like the outcome of our first offensive drive might determine how the momentum and energy of the rest of the first half would play out. kirkwood had the first down easy if he wouldn't have danced back outside and had just stayed on his running route. of course who knows how that impacts the game, but i was also really annoyed with his decision to bounce back outside when it wasn't necessary.

Top Bottom