4-0 Over-reaction time! Chances of Big1G Title game??

bruster

Reaction score
By no means do I think that the Gopher's will win the division.... but as best said be Lloyd Christmas... "SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE?"

I mean... look at the Legends division..

Michigan looks awful.
Iowa seems to be on par with Minnesota but with a tougher Big 10 schedule.
Michigan State has seemed below average with their QB situation.
Nebraska... kind of the same as Michigan.. looks downright awful at times like today in the 1st quarter and the 2nd half last week.
Last but not least, Northwestern. My pick to win the division, but has a tough next two games. Anything can happen!

I had high hopes for the Gophers this year. Mentally, I figured they would be 4-0 at this point, which they are, and then they would win 3-4 conference games, largely because this is Kill's third year and I believe in him.

However, however...

Kill and his staff have done NOTHING to develop the forward pass. What have they completed in four games? 33 passes? Against this inferior competition they SHOULD have done SOMETHING to have developed the passing game. Instead, they did not a f#@king thing to try to develop anything that would even remotely resemble a forward pass.

Gophers will go winless the rest of the season. Pathetic.

I had high hopes for the Gophers this year. Mentally, I figured they would be 4-0 at this point, which they are, and then they would win 3-4 conference games, largely because this is Kill's third year and I believe in him.

However, however...

Kill and his staff have done NOTHING to develop the forward pass. What have they completed in four games? 33 passes? Against this inferior competition they SHOULD have done SOMETHING to have developed the passing game. Instead, they did not a f#@king thing to try to develop anything that would even remotely resemble a forward pass.

Nm. Not worth it.

On the National level the Big Ten certainly looks to be fairly average again with the possible exception of Ohio State. Would also agree that the Legends division doesn't seem to have any great teams in it at the moment. That being said I don't know where we fit in the picture just yet and while I am not willing to go as far as the other poster who thinks we won't win a game because of our lack of passing attack I do think it is a major concern heading into Big Ten play.

Our run game looks strong but not sure how well it will hold up against teams we can't overpower the way we could against San Jose State and some of the others on the non-conf schedule.

However, however...

The reason the passing game hasn't been worked on is because the running game was pretty pathetic and needed to be fixed first. Today we saw the results of 4 weeks of learning to pound the rock. I think the coaches will devote some more practice time this week on passing and we may see a little more of it against Iowa.

The reason the passing game hasn't been worked on is because the running game was pretty pathetic and needed to be fixed first. Today we saw the results of 4 weeks of learning to pound the rock. I think the coaches will devote some more practice time this week on passing and we may see a little more of it against Iowa.

I don't care much if it is pass or rush. I want to see the team win against Iowa!

Go gophers!

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

I am concerned heading to the Big Ten part of the schedule. The defense has not dominated like I had hoped in the first three games especially against the run. Yesterday they gave up a ton of yards through the air with a teams top pass catcher out. The offensive running attack is getting on track but this team isn't going to run like they did the last two weeks in Big Ten play, even if they run well it won't have the same result against Big Ten defenses.

This is truly another phase of rebuilding the program. They are playing a more disciplined football with the least amount of penalties. Defense and special teams play overall look better. Team speed appears to be much better, and overall team depth is improving. I agree with WAGopher. They are fixing the running foundation first. The improvements in passing will come in time. It doesn't mean that they are not working on it. The WR recruits that we were counting on to shine did not produce for one reason or another. The improvements seem subtle now, but I have faith that the program will turn around. With good coaching, good recruiting, and focus on the fundamentals, the players are buying into it.

We are doing it brick by brick.

The final report card on Jerry Kill is due at the end of next year with his true third year recruits. We hope to see the quality of the recruiting classes improve as they win more. If we are not competitive and remain in the bowels of the lower tier after next season, then there is a legitimacy in calling for a change.

For now, I'd say don't over-react. Just be a little more patient. I for one would like to see our Gophers win a B1G title before I croak.

For crying out loud, sutimegophs: just worry about the NEXT game. This crap...

However, however...

about losing the next 8 games is the most pathetic kind of "awfulization" that any poster could possibly manufacture.

Teams are built on the practice fields...in the class rooms...in the film rooms...in the meetings with position coaches...within the bond-building days of being a part of the team and countless other ways. Just worry about taking on the hawgseyes THIS week.

Indiana has been working on their passing game and they are 2-2. Their season is basically over. Their goal of making a bowl game has come up short.

Run the ball and stop the run and play SMART football and there is a chance of winning some Conference Games. No guarantees...but just wait and watch. Our Gophers have NOT played their best football yet this season. Finally: The Conference Portion of the Schedule has arrived. This is where Coaching, maturing and having a bit of good fortune and making your own good fortune on the playing field happens. I'm hoping for at least two wins...and MORE if at all possible...but: today, I am only thinking about that Border Battle coming up next Saturday. Beat 'em Gophers! And, never let these "naysayers" such as this sumtimegoph get you down. Go have fun, play hard, listen to your coaches and BE SMART Gophers! This is a HUGE game. This is Big Ten Football! Beat the hawgs!

I think we could win a game we shouldn't win this Season...

Just hope we can take care of Iowa... it would definitely be the first team we play with athletes that are on our level or above...

However, however...

Yeah, as posts go it certainly was.

However, however...

This has to be one of the strangest posts ever: where do I start.....

1) I agree with walrus on this one - for punishment sumtimegopher you should be required to read his post 3 times.
2) We're 4-0 dude. You say we will go winless the rest of the season and then you say Pathetic? How can you do better than 4-0. Your summation "Pathetic" is a very poor choice of words.
3) Does a team have to pass for XXX yards per game to be successful? It almost seems to me that you would rather see us pass and lose (see Iowa's game against NIU) than for us to be run heavy and win. Aren't we trying to win??

Now go back and read walrus' post 3-times, then you will be forgiven.

Yesterday they gave up a ton of yards through the air with a teams top pass catcher out.

I hear ya man, BUT the SJSU QB was incredible. One of the most accurate QBs I have seen in person in years. Unless he melts down he is absolutely an NFL 1st round pick.

Brick by brick. The Iowa game is huge for use for 3 reasons. (1) they might be the weakest opponent remaining on our schedule, so if we want to make a little noise and surprise some people, we need to beat the beatable conference opponents, (2) they are in our division, so in addition to us getting a win, we have a shot at forcing a team that will probably be competitive with us to take a loss in the standings, (3) trophies are awesome.

Brick by brick. The Iowa game is huge for use for 3 reasons. (1) they might be the weakest opponent remaining on our schedule, so if we want to make a little noise and surprise some people, we need to beat the beatable conference opponents, (2) they are in our division, so in addition to us getting a win, we have a shot at forcing a team that will probably be competitive with us to take a loss in the standings, (3) trophies are awesome.

Ditto

I am concerned heading to the Big Ten part of the schedule. The defense has not dominated like I had hoped in the first three games especially against the run. Yesterday they gave up a ton of yards through the air with a teams top pass catcher out. The offensive running attack is getting on track but this team isn't going to run like they did the last two weeks in Big Ten play, even if they run well it won't have the same result against Big Ten defenses.

I really believe a lot of it was a direct result of Fales. Man was he accurate. Some of those passes were put in a place only their receivers could catch it. The secondary didn't play as bad as the stats showed in my opinion.

(4) Lots of recruits at the game.

Well this was an over-reaction thread. I commend you for staying on-topic.

one of the funniest posts on GH i have read in a while, "Now go back and read walrus' post 3-times, then you will be forgiven." that one was pretty good too, BTW i don't know how to quote 2 people in one reply, or only quote a portion of a post but not the entire post

we were 4-0 last year and i had some pretty unrealistic predictions, at one point during last year i felt it was possible that we could win 9 or 10 games, then we lost to a 2-2 Iowa team 30-13 (or whatever the score was) so i am not quite as optimistic as i was last year but still, i think a lot of the big ten teams on our schedule have underachieved relative to their preseason hype, except for maybe Iowa, i thought they would be terrible, but i guess you could still argue they are since they have yet to bet a team that has won a game, Wisconsin is another, i thought that they would steadily decline into irrelevance after winning only 8 games last year and a coaching change but they still look very strong so i don't know if we will be able to pull off the upset like i felt we might have been before the season, Nothwestern looks very good as well, i don't see us beating them but other then that i think 6 of the 8 teams are very beatable.
-Iowa, i already talked about them but the only played one decent team and lost to them, all the other teams haven't won a game
-MSU, their QB situation/offense is just awful, for their first 2 games their defense scored more then their offense, and those weren't against lockdown defenses, those were against Western Michigan and South Florida
-Indiana, they have not lived up to the hype that their offense would carry them and win a lot of games, instead they are just 2-2, another 4 win season looks likely in Bloomington
-Michigan, they could have very well lost to Akron and maybe should have who has the longest road losing streak in FBS football, it came down to the last play, also UCONN is 0-3 and they could have very well lost to them, they were very lucky
-Nebraska, beat Wyoming by only 3, came down to the last play, lost to a UCLA team that is not even in the top 10 by about 20 points
-Penn state, lost to Central Florida

THIS IS AN OVERREACTION THREAD so there are 6 teams that look beatable, and if they don't figure things out by the time we play them in the absolute best case scenario 4+6=10 so 10 regular season wins and anything can happen in a bowl game, it is usally a 50-50 chance since the teams are even playing together so 11-2 in the absolute best case scenario, REMEMBER THIS IS AN OVERREACTION THREAD, NOT A REALISTIC THREAD but boy, i remind myself of when i predicted we would win the NCAA in 2016 if we landed, Whitehead, Newton, Reid, Jarvis, JP, Illikainen, Ellenson and Amir, oh well, it is an overreaction thread and all

Trophies are awesome!!

This has to be one of the strangest posts ever: where do I start.....

1) I agree with walrus on this one - for punishment sumtimegopher you should be required to read his post 3 times.
2) We're 4-0 dude. You say we will go winless the rest of the season and then you say Pathetic? How can you do better than 4-0. Your summation "Pathetic" is a very poor choice of words.
3) Does a team have to pass for XXX yards per game to be successful? It almost seems to me that you would rather see us pass and lose (see Iowa's game against NIU) than for us to be run heavy and win. Aren't we trying to win??

Now go back and read walrus' post 3-times, then you will be forgiven.

rescooter: you really are a very strange little jerk. You are trying to start something ALL the time. Maybe one of these days I'll just take you up on your invitation to try to start a little action...but not today. You are too strange a little jerk for me to waste my time doing that. Now, go out and play in the street strange little rescooter...and buzz off little jerk.

rescooter: you really are a very strange little jerk. You are trying to start something here don't you? Maybe one of these days I'll just take you up on your invitation to try to start a little food-fight...but not today. You are too strange a little jerk for me to waste my time. Now, go out and play in the street strange little rescooter.
unless i am missing something i don't see why you are offended over his post, he was agreeing with you, not putting you're post down, can't you see that?

Are you the guy that sat behind me a couple years ago and would complain every time we ran the ball?

unless i am missing something i don't see why you are offended over his post, he was agreeing with you, not putting you're post down, can't you see that?

Agreed...I think walrus is...overreacting (but then again this is the overreaction thread so maybe he is just playing along).

Are you the guy that sat behind me a couple years ago and would complain every time we ran the ball?
i had a guy like that for me too when we had Bennett and Escrige, Deleon Rushed for over 1,000 yards last year at San Jose st. i was surprised nobody talked about or even mentioned him when previewing that game

The first third of the season was perfect.

Peeking ahead at the next 1/3rd of the season...

http://cdn.fbschedules.com/helmets/2013-big-ten-helmet-schedule.pdf

9/28 - Iowa. Only legends game this week. Importance cannot be overstated.
10/5 - @ Michigan. They are coming off a bye and this is their conference opener. We shall see. If think if the Gophers don't play intimidated it will be close at least through three quarters.
10/12 - Open date.
10/19 - @ Northwestern. They may be coming of beatdowns by Wisconsin & Ohio State. Hard to see them losing three in a row. More physical football against a tired team is what is called for.
10/26 - Nebraska. Huskers will probably be 2-0 in division and smelling it.

0-4 Seems unlikely unless they lose to Iowa - then all bets are off.
1-3 This is what the oddsmakers would probably say
2-2 Would be a great start for this team as I don't think they'd stumble to another 6-6
3-1 Start thinking about January 1st
4-0 Mayhem. Would include three wins over once ranked teams. Would put the Gophers at 4-0 in the division with four to play. Would probably mean a ranking in the polls around 12-15. Would have the Gophers entering November with four Big Ten wins for perhaps the first time ever (season used to start really late & schedule was smaller).

I'm not making any predictions. Brick by brick.

Top Bottom