36 Minnesotans on NDSU roster

The beauty is that they will likely never play a Big 10 team again. That will hurt their recruiting.
This win will end this stage for them.

But other stages are there. They play Oregon in 2020 and Colorado 2024,

The point? I don't believe ndsu would contend over an entire season. Good win for them but let's calm down

Exactly! They are a great fcs program and a very good football team year in and year out. However they play one game a year that is their super bowl, and then they play teams that the top half of Big Ten teams beat by 30 points on average. They don't have to play 9 Big Ten teams, they get to play 5 Indiana States, 2 Illinois States and a Northern Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly! They are a great fcs program and a very good football team year in and year out. However they play one game a year that is their super bowl, and then they play teams that the top half of Big Ten teams beat by 30 points on average. They don't have to play 9 Big Ten teams, they get to play 5 Indiana States, 2 Illinois States and a Northern Iowa.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm very happy for NDSU today. I was cheering for them. Heck, I'm happy when just about any team beats Iowa. Seeing the infamous LakesBison troll the Iowa message boards is an added bonus. NDSU is a feel good story for smallish college football programs with very mediocre academics. NDSU football is in its golden age. It will never get any better for them. The oil boom will end. North Dakota will go back into a steady population decline and back to its journey to obscurity.

Kudos to NDSU, but the school does not meet the academic standards of B1G admissions. It simply does not. B1G schools can scratch and claw and keep an occasional borderline player eligible, but no more than that. Mountain West for NDSU? Maybe. And similar success to that of Boise State.

They've had plenty of MN kids play in positions other than OL an DL.

They include WR, CB, S, RB. Etc.

That isn't the discussion. We were asked if the Gophers could be better if we just recruited MN and the Midwest.

No. They can't move up. They have this rabid fanbase but can't raise the funds to do it. Never mind that a hand full of other second tier schools made it work.

They also play in an unexpandable stadium that holds about as many people as the Xcel Energy Center and no one is going to build them a new dome. There is also the issue of scholarship numbers and title IX. The ND schools are undergoing a big time budget crunch right now, UND has it worse, but both schools are affected. There's just no money to do it, even if they got an invite.

They also play in an unexpandable stadium that holds about as many people as the Xcel Energy Center and no one is going to build them a new dome. There is also the issue of scholarship numbers and title IX. The ND schools are undergoing a big time budget crunch right now, UND has it worse, but both schools are affected. There's just no money to do it, even if they got an invite.

Oh. So the Bison are small potatoes and always will be no matter how many FBS schools they beat. That's actually perfect. It is like that little idiot Charlie not being able to get a ticket to Willy Wonkas factory no matter how many chocolate bars he buys. Enjoy sleeping in the same room with your grandparents forever, Bison turds.

That isn't the discussion. We were asked if the Gophers could be better if we just recruited MN and the Midwest.

No doubt we could be better with that philosophy. Just have to get better Midwest players by winning some meaningful games.
Hell Western Michigan is 2-0 in the Big Ten this year with over 80 kids from Midwest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's the successful recruiting strategy that Woog used with which to win all those National Championships.

They've had plenty of MN kids play in positions other than OL an DL.

They include WR, CB, S, RB. Etc.

Every couple years, there a good player, maybe 4 stars, is but look at the past ten years of HS recruits and tell me there is depth at those positions. It shows in Gophs rosters as well over those years. Almost every coach has stated that as well...need to go out of state to get high caliber skills position players.

Just went through the NDSU roster. One thing I noted is that they have a number of kids from smaller towns and programs. I saw at least two or three kids who played 9-man HS FB in MN. Also saw some kids from smaller towns in Wisconsin, including places like Lodi and Mineral Point.

The point is that this coaching staff is able to recognize talent, and take a chance on players who D1 schools would never look at. The Gophers like to talk about recognizing talent and recruiting kids that fit their system - but obviously, NDSU is doing the same thing - albeit on a slightly different level.

Gosh, maybe there's more to a great program than scouting stars and ratings. Lots of excuses in this discussion and not much recognition of reality.

Some schools care about football, others don't.

Just went through the NDSU roster. One thing I noted is that they have a number of kids from smaller towns and programs. I saw at least two or three kids who played 9-man HS FB in MN. Also saw some kids from smaller towns in Wisconsin, including places like Lodi and Mineral Point.

The point is that this coaching staff is able to recognize talent, and take a chance on players who D1 schools would never look at. The Gophers like to talk about recognizing talent and recruiting kids that fit their system - but obviously, NDSU is doing the same thing - albeit on a slightly different level.

NDSU is a Division I school.

Not provable either way, but highly doubtful. The University of Minnesota is a vastly superior academic institution to North Dakota Agricultural College.
are you kidding me ! Rashad hagenman and Rodney Williams were 1.5 gpa's in high school. Get real a Jeff jones ? Get real your smoking

Bobby Jackson ? Your smoking on the U ! They get all kids into school

We've gone through this discussion often. Some of their players would look good in a Gopher uniform, but it always brings-up at least two things. When people look, they find that very few on the NDSU's best players had many, if any, offers from Power 5, or even MWC schools. The other question? If that's the case, how many of those players would give up a chance to play on a very good FCS team to walk on or take a chance on being a 3rd or 4th string player, on a BCS team? Even the ones who would could end-up being a 1st or 2nd string player later in their BCS career.

Now add in the players who couldn't qualify and most likely we know why those guys aren't in Maroon and Gold.
Ndsu develops players to win and go yo the NFL ! How many OL has MN put in the NFL with Kill ? Not very good in developing players are they ?

are you kidding me ! Rashad hagenman and Rodney Williams were 1.5 gpa's in high school. Get real a Jeff jones ? Get real your smoking

Your are doing an impecible job of illustrating what a D2 education looks like.

Link. <---Hint. The text in a different color means that it is a link to another website. This particular website might help you understand the polysylabic word I used.

Just MN and the Midwest? Not even NDSU does that. We could easily retain a lot more of the MN players, however, and get similar W/L results, at least.

Oh. So the Bison are small potatoes and always will be no matter how many FBS schools they beat. That's actually perfect. It is like that little idiot Charlie not being able to get a ticket to Willy Wonkas factory no matter how many chocolate bars he buys. Enjoy sleeping in the same room with your grandparents forever, Bison turds.

Not sure why you quoted me on this comment. I was simply explaining that no matter how good NDSU is (and they are good - really good), that there are a lot of extenuating circumstances that prevent them from going FBS.

Do you know how unlikable a fan base has to be for me to hate a team full of Minnesotans that just beat Iowa? I follow MN HS football pretty closely and I loathe the Hawkeyes, but I really wish Iowa would have won that game.

Ndsu develops players to win and go yo the NFL ! How many OL has MN put in the NFL with Kill ? Not very good in developing players are they ?

I didn't realize OL is the only position in football.

Did you know that NDSU has had 4 total players drafted in the last 7 drafts? Minnesota had 4 players drafted in 2015 alone.

I don't know why fans like you can't just be happy and proud of your team. Instead you come here and make yourself look stupid.

NDSU just beat Iowa. There are 36 Minnesotans on NDSU's roster if my MN math is correct and many other so called 2nd tier players from North Dakota, Wisconsin and Iowa. I am not sure how many from this area start or play important roles. Here is my question... Could MN be more competitive in the Big Ten by giving mostly scholarships to Minnesotans and the North Central US even if they aren't highly ranked? Discuss.....
Go to the NDSU web site and look at the guys on their roster. They are successful because the can give partial scholarships, and sort players when they get them. We would be on a par with Indiana state if we gave full scholarships to most of the to the kids they recruit.

They do a great job of developing the kids they get, and they do a great job of scheduling. You don't see them signing up to play OSU, Michigan, or Michigan State where their skilled athletes would just be over-matched. They sign up to play developmental power teams where they can compete with their style of football unless the power teams play really well.

At the skill positions, no. OL, DL, LBs yes there's enough good talent . Overall, no. Lack of depth in skill positions is the pitfall.
There is also not enough talent there for our oline and dline. They take a lot of partial scholarship kids to find the guys who can play.

There is also not enough talent there for our oline and dline. They take a lot of partial scholarship kids to find the guys who can play.
they develop players ! How many OL has been MN put in the NFL

Top Bottom